PDA

View Full Version : Multi MAINS Battle - your favorite ?

Viking_Golfer
07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I normally play with VS Team mains and AluRough crosses - but for wet weather need a GREAT multi. The BEST MULTI !!

I've tested Explosive, nrg2, nxt, k-gut, Xcel Prem. So far my 2 favourites used as mains only is Xcel Power 1.25 and X-One 1.24.

In Europe X-One reels are extremely expensive ( 350 ) compared to Xcel Power reels ( 200 ) - I know x-one for some odd reason is cheaper than Xcel power in the US, but in Europe it's the opposite which just shows how prices have very little to do with actual production cost and much more to do with company strategies and supply & demand ;)

My favourites multis for wet weather game, where I don't use my preferred VS Team nat gut mains, is either X-One 1.24 mains with AluRough cross or Xcel Power 1.25 mains with AluRough cross.

What's your take on Xcel Power & X-One ?

I always play with a poly in the crosses because of 3 things: Spin, Dampening of the power and minimise of string movement

Name your favorite multis and state why you like them and if you hybrid them or use a full job.

parasailing
07-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Have you tried Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber? It might be cheaper than both strings you mentioned and has similar playing characteristics. Most people on these boards don't know about this string that offers similar playing traits at substantial less cost.

Viking_Golfer
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Have you tried Kirschbaum Touch Multifiber? It might be cheaper than both strings you mentioned and has similar playing characteristics. Most people on these boards don't know about this string that offers similar playing traits at substantial less cost.

I've heard about it but in Europe it cost 95 euro for 110 meter and I can get Xcel power 200 meter for 185 euro, so unless it's better......

Torres
07-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Use the SEARCH facility. Your question has already been answered a million times.

Viking_Golfer
07-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Use the SEARCH facility. Your question has already been answered a million times.

Not when the multi is used in the mains with a poly in the crosses.
I couldn't find any threads about that....perhaps you can prove your statement by providing a link to the million of answers you say are out there ;)

Besides isn't this forum all about repeating the same questions over and over again ?

This forum would die if only virgin questions were allowed, Wise Guy !

'rate best poly'
'should Fed retire'
'I suffer from TE - what to do'
'need frame advice - 16x18, 16x19 or 18x20'
'will Murray ever win a slam'
'what's the best overgrip'
'how to serve faster'
'Pusniacki will never win a slam'
Etc. etc. etc.

tennisinoc
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Your tests results were exact same as mine.
Xcel Power & X-One were on the top of my list along with NRG2.
I guess that's why they fetch the higher price.

Viking_Golfer
07-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Your tests results were exact same as mine.
Xcel Power & X-One were on the top of my list along with NRG2.
I guess that's why they fetch the higher price.

Just got a GREAT offer from my local tennis shop down the road from my condo - 200 meter reel of Babolat Xcel Power 1.25 for 160 Euro ( approx. 237$)

Simply could not resist that offer :)
Still have 5 sets of X-One 1.24 left, so will compare them directly and see what I prefer. But already owned a reel of Xcel Power so know it's a great multi. Maybe not as crisp as X-One but plays more uniform and still has a nice crisp feel for a multi in my view.

smirker
07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
I couldn't find any threads about that

There are plenty of threads on this combination but I do agree with your points in the rest of the post. There would be no forum if only new topics are allowed.

To answer your question in part I have tried both combinations of poly mains/ mutli crosses and the reverse and actually prefer the reverse set up. For me that has mainl been Supex Max Touch Mains/ Supex Big Ace crosses. I played with this last night and it offers a good combination of power, feel and spin.

The poly main set up is more control oriented with a little softness from the multi cross.

Seeing if I can get the best of both with a full bed of Polystar Energy.

TennisCJC
07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
I couldn't find any threads about that....perhaps you can prove your statement by providing a link to the million of answers you say are out there ;)

Besides isn't this forum all about repeating the same questions over and over again ?

This forum would die if only virgin questions were allowed, Wise Guy !

'rate best poly'
'should Fed retire'
'I suffer from TE - what to do'
'need frame advice - 16x18, 16x19 or 18x20'
'will Murray ever win a slam'
'what's the best overgrip'
'how to serve faster'
'Pusniacki will never win a slam'
Etc. etc. etc.

Great answer - especially the Pusniacki comment - I had not heard that one before.

I have not tried any of the Excel series. But TF X-1 and TF NRG2 are 2 of my favorite. I actually like NRG2 better than X-1 in a hybrid because it notches less (more durable), has good power and feel but not quite as much power as X-1. Volkl Power Fibre II is also good - very similar to NRG2 but a little less expensive in the US.

highgeer
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I like x-1 a lot, but it breaks very quickly so I do not use it. I like Xcel power, NXT, NRG2.

Mike

DrpShot!
07-06-2011, 10:34 AM
NRG2 and Tourna Quasi Gut. X-1 is barf.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-06-2011, 12:03 PM
This may not apply to you but you know, I tried Kirschbaum PII mains and Forten Sweet crosses and to me, it equals any poly multi hybrid.