PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Help Needed

Joseph K.
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Hello Tennis Warehouse members,

A while back I posted a problem I was having when stringing my rackets.

I bought Polystar 16 gague energy string and used it to string my Head Speed Pro rackets (I have four) Each time, I encountered a problem (stringing with one piece), the string broke at the gromet, one or two strings over from the edge where I tied off my knot (Or the first knot). This happened anywhere from 30 mins to 90 mins playing with the string (I am going to play college next year, So I'm pretty good)

This doesn't happen when I string one piece with synthetic gut 16 gague by Gamma and the polyester didnt break when I used it on my friends BLX (albiet he doesnt hit at all as fast)

So I bought another reel on the suggestion of a TW poster that I should be stringing two piece on my head speed pro. Using my newly bought 17 gague polystar energy, and a two piece model, I strung my racket. Same result, the string popped at the gromet one over from the side (actually popped on the string with the know on it) much to my fustration.

I don't know what to do. I'm basicly an amatuer stringing, I have strung about 60 rackets so far after buying the machine, so maybe its my technique? I don't know, and I need some help here. Much appreciated.

(I have pictures on this stuff too, by the way, they're just being uploaded)

got spin?
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Its because poly is such a stiff brittle string. But mainly because you probably wore a hole in the grommet and it was hitting the graphite and it cuts the string. I strung for my high school time a while back and our No.2 player did this frequently with his Price triple threat bandit. Its really old racket and the grommets were 5 years old. When I checked it the grommet had a hole in it from the graphite and each time he hit it the string move up against the graphite and weathered the string with each hit. Change the grommets. If that dosent help than string at a lower tension.

Joseph K.
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Where do you think the hole exsists? I mean, I've had these rackets from about a year to over that time, and I've been banging them, so that could explain things I guess. (Your take is it isn't the string, which I would tend to agree with)

Which part is the graphite where you think the problem exists? I'm probably not going to string at a lower tension, considering I like the 52 lbs I use right now.

(Also, my pictures will help)

Joseph K.
07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Where do you think the hole exsists? I mean, I've had these rackets from about a year to over that time, and I've been banging them, so that could explain things I guess. (Your take is it isn't the string, which I would tend to agree with)

Which part is the graphite where you think the problem exists? I'm probably not going to string at a lower tension, considering I like the 52 lbs I use right now.

(Also, my pictures will help)

Edit by way of post, since apparently you can't edit in direct

i've been blasting with them (hitting hard)

mikeler
07-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Try clamping further away from the frame. You'll lose some tension but it will put less stress on the poly near the frame.

BigT
07-05-2011, 06:07 PM
I have strung PolyStar Energy extensively, both for me and my customers. I never broke them by the frame (I have broken other polys by the frame), and very few customers have. If the problem is not a grommet, maybe you are clamping too tight or maybe tying off too tight?

DrpShot!
07-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I think a bad grommet would also pop the synthetic gut in the same spot. Try a different poly, something standard like Big Banger. If you get the same results, replace the grommet/bumper guard and see if that helps. If you still break in that spot, try a hybrid with poly in the crosses.

MambaT
07-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Or try a piece of teflon tubing in that grommet to cut down some of the friction or protect from a sharp edge. If you need a piece, get a message to me and I can send you some.

tiangkim
07-06-2011, 09:42 AM
i have a question here too.... according TW the main will dictate the overall feel of a hybrid setting....

in my case, i always like the multi feel... however, when i hybrid it multi at m and poly at c gives me muted feel... on d other hand if i string poly at m and multi at c gives me better feel while hitting....

this totally opposite from i read read on tw....any1 feel d same or just me? pls comment ...tq

TennisCJC
07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
i have a question here too.... according TW the main will dictate the overall feel of a hybrid setting....

in my case, i always like the multi feel... however, when i hybrid it multi at m and poly at c gives me muted feel... on d other hand if i string poly at m and multi at c gives me better feel while hitting....

this totally opposite from i read read on tw....any1 feel d same or just me? pls comment ...tq

I get the opposite feel. Poly mains/multi cross feels and plays more like poly: stiffer, more spin, less power from stringbed. multi main/poly cross feels and plays more like multi: softer, more power. The difference is subtle but that's my experience. Some say mains determine 75% of feel. I don't agree with that and would say it's more like 60-65% of feel is determined by mains.

Joseph K.
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
So I strung up a babolat racket, and after about 4 hours the string broke at the gromet on the top cross near the tie off knot.

So either it is the string, or I am tying off the knots incorrectly. I am trying a different string for one of the babolat to try it, but would someone please give some info on what knot I should be tying off with. (and how to finish the last one or two strings before a knot, clamp position, etc.)

jhp49
07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
So I strung up a babolat racket, and after about 4 hours the string broke at the gromet on the top cross near the tie off knot.

So either it is the string, or I am tying off the knots incorrectly. I am trying a different string for one of the babolat to try it, but would someone please give some info on what knot I should be tying off with. (and how to finish the last one or two strings before a knot, clamp position, etc.)

Try a Parnell knot. Here is the Yulitle video on how to tie it. Also search yulitle on YouTube for his how-to videos on stringing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFjDax7xK4

seb23
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
do you prestretch the poly as if you dont that might be the cause of the breakages

fortun8son
07-08-2011, 11:17 PM

You may have it there. Be careful with knots especially a starting knot.
Never use the machine to pull a knot!
I hope you are not stringing a Babolat one-piece Throat to Head!