PDA

View Full Version : Confusion re what to string with

Window
07-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I bought a used racquet which came strung with Technifibre X-1 Biphase 17. I immediately played well with the racquet and, when the strings broke, i restrung with the same string and have continued playing well. I am a strong 4.0-4.5 player who was never much of a string breaker and suddenly these strings are lasting me a much shorter time than my old strings used to. I used to play with Prince "Hybrid" Syn Gut Poly Blend - which are 1/3 the price of the Technifibre strings, but don't know if the strings are the reason I am playing so much better or if it is the racquet.

No one on this board mentions the TF X-1 Biphase 16. Would that help prevent breakage or is that string not as good as 17? I cannot afford to restring every few weeks, so if there is an alternative string which will give me enough, I would like to hear about it.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

mikeler
07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
The 16 gauge version should last longer for you. It is probably a good first step to try. I've never used that Prince hybrid you mentioned but I never read about it on the boards which leads me to believe it may not be the greatest set of strings out there. ;)

Window
07-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I just read the reviews for x-1 Biphase 17 and 16 and everyone says the strings on the 17 fray and break after 20 hours or shorter, so I guess I'm just experiencing what is expected. People rave about the 17, but not as much about the 16, but I would back down to it if it meant saving money. My problem is the string cost and the stringing, which I pay for. I don't have my own stringing machine, so it costs each time. Do you have a recommendation for another string (not too expensive) that I might try just on the mains (making it a hybrid job)?

mikeler
07-06-2011, 05:17 PM
You should read up on polyester strings. There are hundreds of them out there. I play with a soft poly in the mains Weiss Cannon B5E.

Window
07-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks. I'll do that.