PDA

View Full Version : Wilson ncode n6.1 95" 18x20 vs Wilson PS classic 6.1 95" 18x20

andrew_slattery
07-01-2005, 02:15 AM
I am a long time user of the Wilson ProStaff 6.1 95" tour version (18x20). I am no longer to obtain such frames in new condition. I was wondering how the Wilson ncode n6.1 95" 18x20 compares. The specs seem the same in most respects, but i was wondering how this updated version plays in comparision. Any help and replies will be most appreciated.

timmyboy
07-01-2005, 02:45 AM
i'm still to try either, but from the difference i found from the pro staff TOUR and the n six one TOUR, it isn't very different. just the n code looks like crap compared to the pro staff.

PrestigeClassic
07-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I've wondered that, too. I've played the Tour 90 and the nCode Tour 90. Really hated the nCode version. I'm guessing that a tight pattern would help tame some of the nCode junk. But come on, how can you go wrong with regular old graphite and Kevlar? Even Babolat uses that mix to a degree.

T.J. Planas
07-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Andrew....to answer your question......I have played with both the Classic 6.1 Tour and the new nCode 6.1 18x20. They are extremely similiar in specs and play relatively alike. The problem with the comparisons is that the old 6.1 Classic 18x20 had about three variations over the years. All things considered, would say that the old 18x20 Tour had a more predictable and gradual transistion from the upper sweet spot towards the top of the head. Overall, it was a bit stiffer too. The nCode 18x20 is slightly more flexible and the sweet spot slightly larger and higher than the Classic. I'm thinking this could be because of the difference in weight/balance due to the lack of a leather grip. I also think the feel on the nCode is a little more muted.

The bottom line: in my opinion they play similiar enough that you could get used to the change without too much trouble.

If you don't mind, shoot me an email at txtj79@hotmail.com

Since you have played with the tour 6.1 Classic, I'd like to get your insight on a few curiosities I've noticed over the years.

Regards,
T.J. Planas

PrestigeClassic
07-02-2005, 12:38 AM
There were three iterations of the Classic 6.1 18 x 20? I know there were some cosmetic changes, like in the font used and the appearance or absence of Tour Edition painted, but what were the changes in specs/playability?

paulfreda
07-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I have both frames. The PS6195 Classic is a pretty stiff frame but very solid to play with. My nCode 6195 is somewhat lighter in feel and play but yet it is every bit as solid as the Classic. I much prefer the nCode. I did however tweek it by adding lead to make it a bit heaftier.
I think the new materials and technologies really are making a difference in what can be accomplished by frame designers.
In short, try the nCode ... you will not need to go back.