PDA

View Full Version : slice body serve?

vin
02-24-2004, 08:53 AM
The obvious application of slice on a serve is when it pulls away from the receiver, but does anyone use a slice to go into the receiver to jam them?

Just thought of this as another way to have variation in my serving and wondered if anyone has had success with it.

Vin

Verbal_Kint
02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
I try to bary my serves down the T from the deuce court. Topspin, flat and slice, which goes into the body.

Marnix

Bungalo Bill
02-24-2004, 02:10 PM
absolutely!

Hawaii 5.0
02-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Especially against taller lankier players who have a wingspan advantage, but are more apt to error when drawn in close.I tend not to do it against one handers since they usually take it earlier and in front enough to stop that advantage and plus they can pull away and get some nastyness on the ball while two handers must pull from the non dominant side and it's much harder.

Grimjack
02-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Especially against taller lankier players who have a wingspan advantage, but are more apt to error when drawn in close.I tend not to do it against one handers since they usually take it earlier and in front enough to stop that advantage and plus they can pull away and get some nastyness on the ball while two handers must pull from the non dominant side and it's much harder.

As a 6'5", 215'er with a two handed return, I give this tactic a rating of:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hate body shots tight to my BH.

jayserinos99
02-25-2004, 08:24 AM
it's even better when you're lefthanded and you use that slice serve into the body. a lot of people don't know what to do with that type of spin so they end up barely getting a racquet on it.

vin
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've played a lefty that has such a dramatic slice that he can serve it at your forehand and when it gets to you it's at your backhand. Very confusing! Luckily it's not too fast. My slice only has a slight break to it, so using it as a body serve is something I'll probably only do infrequently and mostly to change the pace a bit from a flat body serve in a different way than with my kicker.

Vin