PDA

View Full Version : First time self stringing - which strings?

achokshi99
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I got my own stringer, was basically spending $26 a string job and then the $8 or so to get the packs of MSV Focus Hex which lasts about 5-6 hours. Anyways, got the beginner gamma stringer and bought a few types of strings to try out. This will be my first ever string job, I use a bab roddick pure drive gt norm length. I currently use MSV Focus Hex 1.10 at 50 lbs and have the following to try out and would appreciate some tips/advice on which strings to use for my first self stringing attempt and also if I should adjust the tension as some I think are multi vs poly:

Ashaway Dynamite 18 Soft Blue
Topspin Cyber Blue 17
MSV Focus Hex 1.10
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough 17
Head Rip Control 17

Any advice/suggestions appreciated. I bought these just because of decent reviews, I am a heavy spin player, usually destroy multis I tried in the past (fray very quickly), like the MSV FH but I have nothing else to compare it to but also tend to get TE as they die fast. W/my own stringer, this should be less of an issue.

Thanks!

goran_ace
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I would recommend getting a few packs of tournament nylon or a cheap synthetic gut and practice stringing on a spare racket you have lying around until you get the hang of it.

BigT
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I would string up a few racquets with some synthetic gut just to get started. They are easier to string than polys, especially when you are new to stringing.

fortun8son
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I agree.
Practice on some cheap stuff.
Gosen Polyon will give you practice in working poly.
I still have half a reel left! LOL
I'll send you some.
Shoot me an email

parasailing
07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
+3 on getting at least a few sets of cheap strings to practice. I know I screwed up a few string jobs when I first started and I didn't use the cheap ones so I played on a few shoddy string jobs.

kchau
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
take your time to mount your racket properly, i know getting the mounting posts to fit perfectly with the babolat is a little bit tough with the rounded beam.

this is what i did:
use the small spacer for the throat
sand down the big spacer just enough so that the big side clears under the grommets on the hoop.

also, with the pure drive i tended to put a tiny tiny amount of stretch to the frame. it seriously took me 5-6 tries to get the mounting perfect, otherwise you will warp the hoop and it will become more round.