PDA

View Full Version : Differences 90 Sq. In vs 95 Sq. In vs 100 Sq In.

AngeloDS
07-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Just curious on the technical differences between each size.

Well, I'm looking at all sorts of racquets for a tournament coming up. I really liked the Wilson nSix-One 95, that felt really solid. And When I used a ProStaff that felt really solid as well.

I have a pretty fast swing speed, and a lot of power and precision behind my shots. I also can put a lot of top-spin on my forehands and with my racquet I can get pretty powerful backhands, when I connect lol. For my volleys I use my backhand because I get a lot more control and I go for a lot of angle on my volleys. I really don't do deep volleys mostly out to the sides on the service line or before the service line.

I used a guys Babolat PD+, and it felt a lot better on the serves (something I've been lacking in). I got ridiculous amounts of topspin, and even sidespin. I didn't get a chance to see how it fairs on one-handed backhand power and one-handed backhand with topspin. Or even got a chance to hit a backhand.

I didn't really notice the differences in using each size. Only that I felt my hits were more concentrated with the 95 Sq. In. and didn't lose a lot of power when I flattened out my forehand (I've been told on this board I use a semi-western or an extreme semi-western or something like that :S). And that the 100 sq. in. really helped with my serves.

TennisD
07-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I'll give you a hint to the technical differences...

As shocking as this may be, 95 and 100 sq inch heads are 5 and 10 sq inches bigger than the 90 sq inch head respectively!

And yes, before you ask, I have done some detective work...

MTChong
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I'll give you a hint to the technical differences...

As shocking as this may be, 95 and 100 sq inch heads are 5 and 10 sq inches bigger than the 90 sq inch head respectively!

And yes, before you ask, I have done some detective work...

I'm really going to have to agree with this guy; that's just brilliant. You're telling me the 95sq in head is 5 sq inches bigger than the 90? No way! Get out of here! Haha, well yeah, basically, there isn't too much a difference though obviously, with the 100, you will generally have more power, more spin (due to the slightly more open string pattern), and less manueverability - all things being equal of course.

TennisD
07-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Yes, I know, my intelligence in the technical areas of knowing which racquet head size is bigger, is unparalleled...

Richard Pur
07-05-2005, 04:30 AM
For any traditionalist with a one handed backhand, why is it that a smaller headed racquet seems to hit that stroke better? Is it because the bigger head you have on the racquet, the more trampoline effect there is, thereby, you have less control, and have a harder time hitting the stroke?

BreakPoint
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
For any traditionalist with a one handed backhand, why is it that a smaller headed racquet seems to hit that stroke better? Is it because the bigger head you have on the racquet, the more trampoline effect there is, thereby, you have less control, and have a harder time hitting the stroke?

For me, I always tend to hit my one-handed backhand better with a small-headed racquet. I think it's because the bigger-headed racquets are just less maneuverable for me and I always feel like I'm going to hit my armpit when I take the racquet back. I also find it easier to swing fast and snap my wrist to generate topspin with a smaller-headed racquet.

ps 6.0
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
For me, i really prefer a very stiff stringbed. Obviously, the larger the string bed the larger the center of percussion is. I lose the feel as the racket head gets larger. But also, since the head is larger, it is less aero dynamic. Like Breakpoint said, my one handed backhand is less flowing as the head gets larger, it feels less buttery as the head gets bigger.