PDA

View Full Version : Weiss Cannon B5E launching problem

deco0028
07-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi all
Has anyone experienced issues with trampolining after using these strings , they seem to feel good for about 1-2 hours, then seem to trampoline? Tried them on my son's PDRGT at 55/53 lbs, felt boardy but played great for 6 hrs or so. Then tried them at 52/50, the racquet felt great for just over an hour, and became hard to control with shots starting to go wide,long by about 6 inches. Wondering if tension maintenance not quite as good as some claim? I measure about a 4 lb tension loss(stringmeter) after a 1 hr period of hitting(when strung mid -low 50s).
Thanks

bad_call
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
haven't experienced any loss of control til over the 10 hr mark with B5E hybrids in MG Prestige Pro at 47/50 (like having crosses 3-4 lbs higher). guessing the PDRGT is a bit more powerful so u might have to keep tension a bit higher.

deco0028
07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
haven't experienced any loss of control til over the 10 hr mark with B5E hybrids in MG Prestige Pro at 47/50 (like having crosses 3-4 lbs higher). guessing the PDRGT is a bit more powerful so u might have to keep tension a bit higher.

Thanks, will go back up to 55/53.

mikeler
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Bad_Call turned me onto this string and it plays great for awhile in my PSTs and PK 7G as a main string at 48 in the PSTs and 52 in the PK 7G.

Torres
07-09-2011, 03:00 PM
The simple answer is that I suspect that its player issue rather than a string issue. You've played at 55/53 which you say is boardy, in which case the stringbed will be low powered (B5E is generally a low powered, control orientated string). As a result of you being used to 55/53 you've probably got used to hitting with abandon (given that you say its boardy ie low powered).

When you drop to 52/50, having only hit for 1 hour, you're probably still hitting with abandon, even though you still need to play with good technique that allows you (to an extent) to still come over the ball. That's probably why the ball is landing slightly long and slightly wide. In any event, 52/50 after 1 hour shouldn't really result in sudden trampoling with loss of control versus 55/53 after 6 hours. Even though the elasticity is well and truly gone at 6 hours, it will still be at a lower tension than 52/50.

The more complicated answer is that B5E is generally a low powered string, but also one that has a non-linear power response. Hit at 60%-80% and all things being equal, it produces a very controlled, predictable response. Hit at say 100%, and the stringbed produces more power than you would expect. It's particularly noticeable when you're hitting flat and striking the ball bang in the centre of the stringbed. If I'm hitting hard and flat, where the racquet face is flatter onto the ball, I can land the ball on the baseline at (53lbs CP, 95/18x20) pretty easily. I find that I have to hit flatter if I want to get pace as well as depth on the ball with this string - I found it low powered at the tensions which I tried. But if I'm pushed out into the trams for example, and hit a reverse forehand (obviously a more topspin orientated stroke), I find that I can't quite get enough pace and depth on the ball with the string in my racquet setup.

Horses for courses really. Everyone plays differently, has different equipment setups, personal preferences, and so on and so on. It wasn't a string that I fell in love with - it has some odd characteristics, some good, some not so good - but other people may like it.

deco0028
07-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all your help,everyone.

Backhanded Compliment
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
useful, It's my next string to try. Ill string it in my prestige pro at 56 next. I like to hit out so what most thing of as boardy feels nice and controlled for me. I also lile that control at the net and for approaches.

GlenK
07-10-2011, 04:20 AM
I found it difficult to control volleys once I got down below 50lbs. For me it seemed to be a trade off. Groundies were better at lower tension but not so for volleys. I never really found that middle ground and moved on before I did.

parasailing
07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I string mine at 52lbs and haven't notice control issues with this string. This string doesn't have much power compared to some other string like WC Scorpion so not sure why OP is experiencing such issues.

Tennis Is Magic
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi all
Has anyone experienced issues with trampolining after using these strings , they seem to feel good for about 1-2 hours, then seem to trampoline? Tried them on my son's PDRGT at 55/53 lbs, felt boardy but played great for 6 hrs or so. Then tried them at 52/50, the racquet felt great for just over an hour, and became hard to control with shots starting to go wide,long by about 6 inches. Wondering if tension maintenance not quite as good as some claim? I measure about a 4 lb tension loss(stringmeter) after a 1 hr period of hitting(when strung mid -low 50s).
Thanks

All polys pocket the ball when strung that low, maybe you don't like that? If you think boardy strings play great, why change? I'd recommend stringing as high as you can without hurting your arm.

Devilito
07-10-2011, 12:25 PM
if you can't keep the ball in the court put more spin on the ball. If you have a proper stroke with enough spin on your shot you can string your racquet at 20lbs and still be able to control the shot. Not to mention the ability to take advantage of using an edged poly string.

Tennis Is Magic
07-10-2011, 12:53 PM
if you can't keep the ball in the court put more spin on the ball. If you have a proper stroke with enough spin on your shot you can string your racquet at 20lbs and still be able to control the shot. Not to mention the ability to take advantage of using an edged poly string.

Pros switch strings every half hour when they lose tension, guess they don't have proper strokes either, huh?

You can miss the ball by quite a bit with proper strokes and equipment that doesn't fit your game. I won't even begin to write a wall about how wrong that statement is, because Celestia help me, I would.

deco0028
07-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Pros switch strings every half hour when they lose tension, guess they don't have proper strokes either, huh?

You can miss the ball by quite a bit with proper strokes and equipment that doesn't fit your game. I won't even begin to write a wall about how wrong that statement is, because Celestia help me, I would.

Hi
Problem solved. Tension of 52/50 cost him a match he should have won, he got frustrated because ball was not going in as early as the warm-up. Restrung at 55/53 lbs, has noticed a big difference. At the higher levels(even juniors), a difference of 1-2 lbs seems to make a difference. Thanks for your help.

Tennis Is Magic
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi
Problem solved. Tension of 52/50 cost him a match he should have won, he got frustrated because ball was not going in as early as the warm-up. Restrung at 55/53 lbs, has noticed a big difference. At the higher levels(even juniors), a difference of 1-2 lbs seems to make a difference. Thanks for your help.

It doesn't seem like it on paper, but it's a huge difference. Hitting a serve in or out is often a matter of inches, if not less. When string tension changes, my serve is the first thing to be affected, and since the serve is the most important shot in tennis, wouldn't you want it to be as effective as possible?

deco0028
07-10-2011, 05:54 PM
It doesn't seem like it on paper, but it's a huge difference. Hitting a serve in or out is often a matter of inches, if not less. When string tension changes, my serve is the first thing to be affected, and since the serve is the most important shot in tennis, wouldn't you want it to be as effective as possible?

Me not being much of a tennis plyer, tension differences are irrelevant to me, as all my balls go long or wide. My son certainly noticed the difference, and it affected his game and attitude. The tension is at least controllable, but mental attitude is up to the person on the court. Cheers.

Devilito
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM

That’s an incorrect simplistic conclusion. Not all pros switch racquets every half hour. Are you saying those that don’t just aren’t as good? Some pros will string their racquet at 60 and others at 40. Some of the hardest hitters like Federer and Gonzo string in the low 40s yet a junior can’t keep the ball in stringing in the 50s? There are many reasons you would want to switch a racquet none of which are a direct consequence on how far the ball goes. Tension is more of a factor of feel and consistency. Federer could hit with a racquet strung at 50 and one at 20 and still keep the ball in the court. If he strung it at 60 it doesn’t mean all his shots will go in the net. Your understanding is of a low level and don’t understand the greater dynamics of the different set-ups of pros. Its just about how far the ball goes. If you string a racquet for a pro 20 lbs higher or lower than they normally string at they will play awful because they are not used to the tension, not because lower tension = ball goes out and higher tension = ball goes in the net.

CDestroyer
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Thatís an incorrect simplistic conclusion. Not all pros switch racquets every half hour. Are you saying those that donít just arenít as good? Some pros will string their racquet at 60 and others at 40. Some of the hardest hitters like Federer and Gonzo string in the low 40s yet a junior canít keep the ball in stringing in the 50s? There are many reasons you would want to switch a racquet none of which are a direct consequence on how far the ball goes. Tension is more of a factor of feel and consistency. Federer could hit with a racquet strung at 50 and one at 20 and still keep the ball in the court. If he strung it at 60 it doesnít mean all his shots will go in the net. Your understanding is of a low level and donít understand the greater dynamics of the different set-ups of pros. Its just about how far the ball goes. If you string a racquet for a pro 20 lbs higher or lower than they normally string at they will play awful because they are not used to the tension, not because lower tension = ball goes out and higher tension = ball goes in the net.

Most tennis pros do switch racquets very often due to tension loss. And it is because most play ALU which loses tension so fast.

You are making something that is easy convoluted and that is stupid.

Tennis Is Magic
07-12-2011, 01:30 PM
That’s an incorrect simplistic conclusion. Not all pros switch racquets every half hour. Are you saying those that don’t just aren’t as good? Some pros will string their racquet at 60 and others at 40. Some of the hardest hitters like Federer and Gonzo string in the low 40s yet a junior can’t keep the ball in stringing in the 50s? There are many reasons you would want to switch a racquet none of which are a direct consequence on how far the ball goes. Tension is more of a factor of feel and consistency. Federer could hit with a racquet strung at 50 and one at 20 and still keep the ball in the court. If he strung it at 60 it doesn’t mean all his shots will go in the net. Your understanding is of a low level and don’t understand the greater dynamics of the different set-ups of pros. Its just about how far the ball goes. If you string a racquet for a pro 20 lbs higher or lower than they normally string at they will play awful because they are not used to the tension, not because lower tension = ball goes out and higher tension = ball goes in the net.

I COULD keep the ball in the court at 20, but it would take some serious modification to my swing, and that's just not a compromise I'm willing to make. I simply said that because I wanted to make the distinction between what you can control with your normal swing and what you can not. Pros could tie their strings by hand and keep the ball in the court with a modified swing. How many of them are willing to make that compromise? The pink slip to my car says none.

That's bad because your natural tendencies will always come to light under pressure, and if you can't control the ball when you do it, you're in trouble. I would rather play with my mind clear of worries like that, and use a setup that's effective for me, so I can just play my game. I'm not saying you couldn't control the ball when it loses tension, but why would you let something like string tension outside of your comfort zone be a potential hiccup in your game when it doesn't have to be? Your serve, your preparation, and your equipment are the things you can fully control in tennis, and I think you should take full advantage of that.

Torres
07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Federer.....strings in the low 40s

No he doesn't. 48-50lbs CP or thereabouts if you read the most recent comments from Ron Yu, though on Federer's own website he admits that he adjust tensions to suit the surface, opponent, weather etc, and has typically covered the 48-54lbs range. In the TW P1 article, Nate Ferguson says his preferred ranged is 50-55lbs http://tinyurl.com/6bqn65s And don't forget that he's using a titchy tiny headed racquet, so tensions are always going to be lower than the Djokos and Nadals of this world.

Torres
07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
racquet strung ....at 20 and still keep the ball in the court.

But its not just about trying to keep the ball in the court. I could handpull a poly and still keep the ball in the court but its not going to result in me playing by best tennis. Polys also tend to react differently and have unusual characteristics at low tensions - not necessarily what you'd expect. I remember trying EXO3 16 at 30lbs LO and having fewer problems keeping the ball in the court than some other polys at 52lbs CP.

dozu
07-12-2011, 04:12 PM
just use gut and be done with the 'die after X hours' silliness (where X <10 )