PDA

View Full Version : synthetic gut most similar to babolat super fine play?

tennisexecutor
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
i strung up some old babolat super fine play that i dug up from my string bin for a friend. he is a very high level player and went completely bonkers for it. he even went as far as declaring it the best string he has ever played with in his career. problem is that the string has been discontinued and it was my last set. is there anything similar to it that is available?

esgee48
07-09-2011, 04:30 PM
TWU does not have Fine Play 17 in their database, but they do have 16 ga. Comparison of the various 16 ga. indicate that that Gamma Syn Gut 16 is really close in terms of string stiffness and energy return. Should try a set in 17 ga. and see if your friend can feel the difference. If that string does not do it, try looking around in the database some more.

jim e
07-10-2011, 09:08 AM
i strung up some old babolat super fine play that i dug up from my string bin for a friend. he is a very high level player and went completely bonkers for it. he even went as far as declaring it the best string he has ever played with in his career. problem is that the string has been discontinued and it was my last set. is there anything similar to it that is available?

If it was 16g.SFP then Tecnifibres Syn. gut 16g. has similar stiffness and tension loss as SFP.

TonyB
07-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I have 5 reels of SFP 17. I would be willing to let a few go. Email me at snurple(at)hotmail(dot)com if interested. We can work something out.

This string is great. Crisp, but soft on the arm. Decent spin, great control. I bought tons of reels when I heard it was being discontinued. I tried many different syn guts to replace it (Gamma, Forten, Prince, etc.), but I couldn't find anything as good as SFP. Even Babolat's current version of their "synthetic gut" is not even close. SFP has a unique feel to it that I haven't found in any other syn gut.

If your friend is a "high level player", as you say, then he would probably be breaking a set of these strings every 1-2 hours. But they play consistently and do not lose tension until they break. Great string.

tennisexecutor
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
TWU does not have Fine Play 17 in their database, but they do have 16 ga. Comparison of the various 16 ga. indicate that that Gamma Syn Gut 16 is really close in terms of string stiffness and energy return.

thanks. i'll grab a set of this next go. we tried gamma advantage 15L per the recommendation of the local string wiz here and it wasn't as playable and stiffer/duller in feel compared to sfp.

If it was 16g.SFP then Tecnifibres Syn. gut 16g. has similar stiffness and tension loss as SFP.

it was 17 gauge. i was going to try this syn gut but all the complaints about high tension loss and premature breakage swayed me away.

I have 5 reels of SFP 17. I would be willing to let a few go. Email me at snurple(at)hotmail(dot)com if interested. We can work something out.

This string is great. Crisp, but soft on the arm. Decent spin, great control. I bought tons of reels when I heard it was being discontinued. I tried many different syn guts to replace it (Gamma, Forten, Prince, etc.), but I couldn't find anything as good as SFP. Even Babolat's current version of their "synthetic gut" is not even close. SFP has a unique feel to it that I haven't found in any other syn gut.

If your friend is a "high level player", as you say, then he would probably be breaking a set of these strings every 1-2 hours. But they play consistently and do not lose tension until they break. Great string.

great write-up. do you play sfp in a full bed? i normally don't play syn guts because i'm lucky to even get an hour out of them. it's bewildering that my friend hits a much heavier ball and can get as much as 8 hours on a full bed. go figure. email has been sent.