PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast breaking in <10hrs?!

marcub
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Forget about getting dead, it just broke in my APDC on less than 10 hrs of play after my last string job, 11 days ago.

What's bizarre is that I'm getting less and less life out of this string... on my 4th set now and used to get north of 15 hrs on the first 2 sets (1st didn't actually break, but it lost all elasticity and I replaced it)... 3rd broke after 12 hrs and here I am now under 10.

I hit with a decent amount of spin but I'm a <4.0 player so I'm thinking I should not be breaking a co-poly. Furthermore, I do not hit any harder or with more spin than a couple of months ago.

Is it normal that it last less and less?

Suggestions on strings that are equivalent in terms of spin potential and power, but are more durable, are really welcome.

jim e
07-09-2011, 05:08 PM
It could be just the way you hit as well. Shank a ball and you can break a string in a very short amount of time irregardless of the poly make.

MethodTennis
07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
It could be just the way you hit as well. Shank a ball and you can break a string in a very short amount of time irregardless of the poly make.

Ive seen strings go like that in under an hour of play many times

marcub
07-09-2011, 06:06 PM

What I mean is - there's no material change in my game from two months ago, when the string would last almost twice as long... I hit just as hard, I shank no more than I used to a while ago.

Could one odd shank break the string that much faster?

To illustrate further - the string looks like it's stretched around the spot that broke, like a piece of chewing gum that you'd stretch with your fingers.

MethodTennis
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Could one odd shank break the string that much faster?

can pretty much kill a string instantly

To illustrate further - the string looks like it's stretched around the spot that broke, like a piece of chewing gum that you'd stretch with your fingers.

it could be the stringer has clamped it far too tightly there