PDA

View Full Version : Skipping outermost mains for Control + Power + Spin = Best of All Worlds?

travlerajm
07-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I had a leaded up RDS001 mp lying around. It was strung with 17g Kevlar/Redcode hybrid at 53 lbs.

The thing about the Yonex that made me move on was that the very open 16x19 stringbed never gave me a predictable response. Volleys were just terrible because of this.

So the other day, I decided to do an experiment and string it up with my usual 17g Kevlar / 16g Tournament Poly, but at 70 lbs. But I skipped the outermost mains, and also skipped the bottom cross. This gave me a 14x18 pattern with the same density in the sweet spot as in the 16x19.

I found that skipping the outer mains gives me the best of all worlds:
The peripheral region provides the give and energy return, while
the stiffer central part of the stringbed prevents incoming balls with heavy spin from denting the stringbed and changing the angle of plane of contact, so the launch angle is still similar to that of a stiff stringbed, even though the power level, spin, and softness are similar to that of a much softer stringbed.

I am going to experiment more with this technique. I think it might be optimized if I can find an 18x20 frame (which I will convert to a 16x18 by omitting the outer strings).

Tennis Is Magic
07-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I had a leaded up RDS001 mp lying around. It was strung with 17g Kevlar/Redcode hybrid at 53 lbs.

The thing about the Yonex that made me move on was that the very open 16x19 stringbed never gave me a predictable response. Volleys were just terrible because of this.

So the other day, I decided to do an experiment and string it up with my usual 17g Kevlar / 16g Tournament Poly, but at 70 lbs. But I skipped the outermost mains, and also skipped the bottom cross. This gave me a 14x18 pattern with the same density in the sweet spot as in the 16x19.

the stiffer central part of the stringbed prevents incoming balls with heavy spin from denting the stringbed and changing the angle of plane of contact, so the launch angle is still similar to that of a stiff stringbed, even though the power level, spin, and softness are similar to that of a much softer stringbed.

I am going to experiment more with this technique. I think it might be optimized if I can find an 18x20 frame (which I will convert to a 16x18 by omitting the outer strings).

String bed density has to be uniform amongst the entire string bed. You have to skip every other main and/or cross, or it's illegal. That, plus it will have a minimal effect as the string bed density in the middle of the racquet is still the same, the only effect you'd get is slightly less friction in the string bed, so a tiny increase in power and spin.

travlerajm
07-10-2011, 02:28 PM
String bed density has to be uniform amongst the entire string bed. You have to skip every other main and/or cross, or it's illegal. That, plus it will have a minimal effect as the string bed density in the middle of the racquet is still the same, the only effect you'd get is slightly less friction in the string bed, so a tiny increase in power and spin.

This setup is perfectly legal because it is not more open in the center.

I've already tested it and posted my experience with this. It seems to give me the power level of a 14x18, but it still gives the control and lower launch angle of a tighter 16x19 bed.

athleticstennis
07-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Travlerajm,

I enjoy your posts. How the offcenter hits were in this configuration? I will definitely try this setup in the upcoming month.

pvaudio
07-12-2011, 06:41 AM
You must have arms of steel to need and want Kevlar/cheap poly strung at 73lbs.

FedererBestTennis
07-12-2011, 06:23 PM

I don't understand how stringing a racquet like this could offer more control. I have tried omitting the first and last cross, and I found, that due to the empty holes, the racquet seems to flex more upon contact which causes the stringbed to trampoline more.

Would a lack of flex in the string decrease the amount of spin produced?

travlerajm
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't understand how stringing a racquet like this could offer more control. I have tried omitting the first and last cross, and I found, that due to the empty holes, the racquet seems to flex more upon contact which causes the stringbed to trampoline more.

Would a lack of flex in the string decrease the amount of spin produced?

The key here is that it allows me to string much tighter than I normally could. If I strung my RDS001MP at 70 lbs with Kevlar/Poly full-bed, the stringbed would feel really boardy and low-powered, and not very comfortable.

But when I omit the outer 2 mains, as well as the bottom cross, the result is different. Instead of a board connected directly to the frame, it feels like board that is suspended in the middle of the sweet spot and connected to the frame by strings that stretch and return some energy.

So it seems to give the advantage of a really stiff bed (predictable launch angle), along with the advantages of a softer bed (more power, spin, and arm-friendly). If you do this, I recommend stringing much tighter than usual (at least 10 lbs tighter).

DEH
07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
The key here is that it allows me to string much tighter than I normally could. If I strung my RDS001MP at 70 lbs with Kevlar/Poly full-bed, the stringbed would feel really boardy and low-powered, and not very comfortable.

But when I omit the outer 2 mains, as well as the bottom cross, the result is different. Instead of a board connected directly to the frame, it feels like board that is suspended in the middle of the sweet spot and connected to the frame by strings that stretch and return some energy.

So it seems to give the advantage of a really stiff bed (predictable launch angle), along with the advantages of a softer bed (more power, spin, and arm-friendly). If you do this, I recommend stringing much tighter than usual (at least 10 lbs tighter).

I strung up a Head Liquidmetal Radical in the 16x19 pattern like you said with Polylon at 52# and it hit very nice with a lot of power and spin. I have another racquet with the same strings as this one but it has the 18x20 string pattern strung in the low 40#s and the 16x19 is much nicer. I hope to get out and hit on the ball machine to night with my daughter and I will see how it works.

NLBwell
07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
Or you could get an original Prince Graphite.
(recommended string tension of 72 lbs - 14x18 pattern)