PDA

View Full Version : What is Dynamic Tension?

LiquidSnake
07-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone,

just wanted to know, what is Dynamic Tension (DT) and how does it affect a player's game? I know the definition: "Dynamic Tension is ball power measured in kiloponds required to depress the string bed 1 cm at the center point of the stringbed. Dynamic tension measures the percentage of control and power based upon a number of factors. The value is given as a percentage based upon a scale from 0 to 100%."

But what does it mean in layman terms? Is it something I can control or should i just be worried about figuring out what basic tension works for me?

Btw, i've used a Wilson nCode nTour 95 racquet for ~5 years strung at 25kg with some random poly string (DT = 67). Reason i wonder is because i've changed racquets - now going to use a Babolat Aero Pro Drive GT - but hasnt been strung yet - going with a Pro Hurricane Tour/VS Gut Hybrid. <--- if that is of any help.

rufusbgood
07-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Is it something I can control or should i just be worried about figuring out what basic tension works for me?

I think you should just try to figure out what basic tension works for you. Can you control DT? Sure. Your choice of string and tension will cause DT to be higher or lower. But where you want to end up DT-wise may not be the same on the Babolat as it was on the Wilson.

Based on the fact that you strung the Wilson at 55 lbs my recommendation would be to string the Babolat at 58 lbs.

LiquidSnake
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Based on the fact that you strung the Wilson at 55 lbs my recommendation would be to string the Babolat at 58 lbs.

Yeah I strung my Babolat VS Gut mains at 58 lbs and the PHT Poly crosses at 56 lbs and the DT came out to be 67 on the Babolat too, but i dont know how DT affects gameplay i.e. is higher the DT the better? etc.