PDA

View Full Version : Co-Poly "Playing Window"?

SteveI
07-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Hi,

With most of the co-polys I have played there seems (I my experience) a "Playing Window" when the set-up is at its best. In my case I find..

0-2 hours - Playing quite stiff and firm. Low power and lack of feel. Control at max.

2-10 hours - Set-up has softened up. Feel, touch and comfort is evident. Power has increased..control is also high. A feeling of "can't miss".

10-12 hours...still a decent set-up. Most cases this frame is now moving to my "feeding" stick.

12+ Hours... Have to cut out set-up if string have not broken. No control without extra spin applied.. rocket launcher. Nice comfort.. feels like a multi at the very end.

In most cases I hybrid with a soft syn gut cross... 55/53 Co-polys are TS CF, BHS, BHB..Wilson Enduro Pro 17

Just my 2 cents..

Steve

Bartelby
07-11-2011, 04:38 AM
You had me up to 12 plus as a full poly set up doesn't really become a rocket launcher, so its the syn gut that's doing that.

fgs
07-11-2011, 04:44 AM
the first two hours you can spare by letting the string rest 24h after stringing and by stepping on it - that softens it up and you go directly into the pleasent "window".
when dying, some polys don't become rocket launchers, while some do. i haven't found a real cluster regarding this, but the softer ones do get uncontrollable.

SteveI
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
the first two hours you can spare by letting the string rest 24h after stringing and by stepping on it - that softens it up and you go directly into the pleasent "window".
when dying, some polys don't become rocket launchers, while some do. i haven't found a real cluster regarding this, but the softer ones do get uncontrollable.

Thanks for your insights and comments. I will give the 24 hr period a test the next time I string (today). I guess I trend to use the same class of co-polys. I have used some of the real soft ones and they do get even more uncontrollable. The 1st gen polys seem to go dead...when they have been in the frame too long.

:-)

SteveI
07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
You had me up to 12 plus as a full poly set up doesn't really become a rocket launcher, so its the syn gut that's doing that.

Interesting comment about the syn gut cross...that may indeed be the case. Thanks. Would a decent multi be better??

Tennis Is Magic
07-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Interesting comment about the syn gut cross...that may indeed be the case. Thanks. Would a decent multi be better??

That'll make it even worse. If you don't want it to trampoline, go full poly.

EDIT: Also, first gen polys don't trampoline. They lose the little elasticity they have in the first 15-20 minutes, then they play like a board for the rest of their life :D you could go that route.

BigT
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Up to 8 hours in general for me.

ethebull
07-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I played for years with syn gut at 60. Went to a hybrid of Poly mains at 55 or so with RIP Control as my fave cross strung around 60, but I hated stringing the RIP. Went back to Syn gut for crosses and didn't give up much on feel. Finally, I've been going full poly at 48-52 and I get the best performance hybriding with a slightly thinner, softer poly cross, both around 48-50 depending. A stiff low-powered main will suit me around 48, a livelier main might do best at 52. Hoping to just nail it down and purge my current "assortment on hand".

But to your original question - Stepping on my freshly strung racquets several times after stringing seems to negate the slow break-in. Then I get around 10 hours of top performance. I tend to seek strings that are known for their good tension maintenance.