PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like Polylon but not other first gen polys?

Tennis Is Magic
07-11-2011, 06:41 AM
This has always boggled me that people would like Gosen Polylon, but not Monoblast, Duralast, Super Smash, etc. I've played with all of them, and they're practically identical, but Polylon is the only first gen poly that gets consistent approval on the forums. Is it because of the low price?

FedererBestTennis
07-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I've heard that Gosen Polylon is similar to Pro Hurricane (non-tour) which is my absolute favorite string of all time, so I've been meaning to give that a try.

I think that most 1st Gen polys are better than the ones that are made now.

bcart1991
07-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Because it's cheap as anything. Less than $3/set in a reel can't be beat.

goober
07-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Most of the 1st gen polys play about the same. So if you are going to go that route at all may as well go cheap.

flashfire276
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Yep! It's my favorite budget string, and I would usually just jump to this string no matter what. You can't really beat $3 a set, and it plays amazingly well, even better than new polys in my opinion.

Tennis Is Magic
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree with the general consensus here that traditional polys are better than the co-polys today, but why do people say "this string sucks and this one is amazing, even though they're almost identical in every single way", instead of what they really mean, "these strings play similarly, but this one is cheaper, so I use it instead". Would people like Super Smash or Duralast as much as Polylon if they were equally priced? Would people like Polylon if it wasn't $3 a set? I want to dispel some of these misconceptions, if that makes any sense, because I've played with about half a dozen first gen polys, and there really was a minimal difference in them all. I'd be inclined to say any difference in them was a result of the dyes used to change the colors, and nothing else.

goran_ace
07-11-2011, 10:43 AM
price matters to me with 1st gen polys because they go dead so quickly. I like super smash slightly better than polylon, but not so much that I'm willing to pay $3-4 more for it because they are that similar and i'll just be cutting it out soon either way. I actually prefer the feel of old school first gen poly, but I choose to play the newer generation polys because I get more use out of them.

BigT
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
It's the low price. Most people probably have not tried other 1st-gen polys to compare. IMO, PolyStar Classic is much softer and plays much better.

diredesire
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I think it's about price, too. A lot of new self-stringers are trying to get into the "hobby" at the lowest entry cost possible, so Polylon typically ends up on the first-time stringing list. I personally DO think Polylon plays quite a bit differently than other Gen1 polys, but not in a good way. I think the initial feel of the string bed is stiff, but not hard (I know it sounds stupid).

One of the characteristics I think of when I think Gen1 poly is dead/firm, but Polylon plays stiff/hollow. Once the string settles in after a few hits/hours, it plays nicer, but at first, the hollow feel didn't suit me. Summary: I agree that Polylon is different from other G1 Polys, but I don't like it.

Steve Huff
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree with DD. Polylon doesn't play like Pro Hurricane or Super Smash. I'm not sure about the other 2. Pro Hurricane is a lot more elastic and SS just doesn't feel the same. Some people like Polylon, and for the money, its a good string. But, without the cost advantage, I wouldn't buy it. For that matter, I think it plays the most like Ashaway Monofire, which is even cheaper.

Tennis Is Magic
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I think it's about price, too. A lot of new self-stringers are trying to get into the "hobby" at the lowest entry cost possible, so Polylon typically ends up on the first-time stringing list. I personally DO think Polylon plays quite a bit differently than other Gen1 polys, but not in a good way. I think the initial feel of the string bed is stiff, but not hard (I know it sounds stupid).

One of the characteristics I think of when I think Gen1 poly is dead/firm, but Polylon plays stiff/hollow. Once the string settles in after a few hits/hours, it plays nicer, but at first, the hollow feel didn't suit me. Summary: I agree that Polylon is different from other G1 Polys, but I don't like it.

Doesn't sound stupid to me, I know what you mean. I think that's better though, I had to cut MB out because it just didn't have a lot of control after 4-5 hours. It hadn't lost tension, but it just didn't have that same crisp feel, and the control was gone. Monoblast lost the least tension of any first gen poly I've ever hit with, but it goes through a lot of life cycles, which is a no-no for me. SS was definitely very hard, and was the first string to actually hurt my arm, and lost the most tension of any string I've ever used, but was still very easy to control because it was so stiff still. Polylon sort of has the best of both of them. It feels exactly the same as it did when it broke in, but hasn't lost control or tension and doesn't hurt my arm. But if I had to interchange between them, for 3 hours, the transition would be pretty much seamless compared to switching strings nowadays, that are made with God-knows-what, and feel completely different from each other in almost every way.

I also know the hollow feeling, but I have a stiff racquet (71 RA) so I don't think it's as pronounced as a racquet that's more flexible, and it doesn't bother me, or turn me off from the string. I mean, it's stood up to 9 hours of hitting in the last 4 days, and it's still not broken (it's getting there, but it looks like it still has 3-4 more hours).