PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Stringing Machine.

Tennisstarter21
07-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey guys, I dont really post around here, but I lurk. I've been playing tennis seriously for about two years (started when I was 15) with the hopes of playing in college. Something I found out is when you play so much is that you need to restring your rackets a lot (I play on average 6-7 hours a day). I finally decided with some recommendations from my friends that I should take the plunge and get a stringing machine.
Im looking for something that's not too expensive (400 bucks or under) and that would be good for a serious player.

Thanks guys.

kchau
07-11-2011, 07:38 AM
gamma x-2, gamma x-6fc

MambaT
07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Gamma Progression 602 FC is $469 at Amazon. I know it is a little more than $400, but the fixed clamps are worth it. It is a good machine that will serve your needs very well.

Tennisstarter21
07-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Gamma Progression 602 FC is $469 at Amazon. I know it is a little more than $400, but the fixed clamps are worth it. It is a good machine that will serve your needs very well.

What do the clamps do?

MambaT
07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
The clamps hold the tension on the strings you have already threaded while you thread and tension the next. There a fixed clamps, like on this machine, and flying clamps, which do not attach to the machine base.

You can do a fine job with either, but fixed are worth the added cost, IMO. Search for some videos on stringing and you can see the difference.

jim e
07-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the forums!!
Go to the section Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines on this site
as this is the string section, and you will get more information. Go to the sticky section at the top of that area as well. There are a # of well put together videos that can help. You should be familiar with what a machine does, as well as features so you know exactly what you are purchasing, as there is a big difference in features, some, many stringers can do without , and some, many stringers will not string woithout.
Post your question on that area Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines
and you will get more responses as well. Good luck.
The link below is well written and give you some good information, it is put out by the USRSA, a great org. for stringers.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/08/2008_guide_to_stringing_machin.html

And this link from that same article is good as well.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200808/200808stringing_machines.html

whomad15
07-11-2011, 08:41 AM
From my research the "ideal" machine is a 6point so there's less racquet deformation during stringing, and then fixed clamps. Also it seems like a starting clamp is a very valuable tool to add to your arsenal of stringing items.
I've also been looking for one, missed out on a good deal on my local craigslist and have been on the hunt since