PDA

View Full Version : Co-Poly Durability: 16g v 17g

Chi
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to know what your thoughts were on the durability of 17g against 16g co-poly strings are (in general, of course a huge variance on brand/tension etc). Of course the durability is less, as its thinner gauge - but I wanted to get an idea of how much less durable, and what to expect.

I generally dont break my 16g poly too often - I usually cut them out when they start losing feel etc, but I'm looking at going thinner for the playability etc (and for a new racket setup).

Question is - Is 17g co-poly easy to snap in comparision?

Tennis Is Magic
07-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to know what your thoughts were on the durability of 17g against 16g co-poly strings are (in general, of course a huge variance on brand/tension etc). Of course the durability is less, as its thinner gauge - but I wanted to get an idea of how much less durable, and what to expect.

I generally dont break my 16g poly too often - I usually cut them out when they start losing feel etc, but I'm looking at going thinner for the playability etc (and for a new racket setup).

Question is - Is 17g co-poly easy to snap in comparision?

Yes, there is a pretty noticeable loss in durability. I've found that for every gauge you go down. I break 17g co-polys in about 6-7 hours, and 18 at 4 hours. Though a LOT has to do with the string itself. Generally, the sooner it's been released, the less durable it will be, as co-polys are slowly but surely separating themselves from their 100% polyester ancestors. They're more playable, but made with less durable materials to achieve that.

BigT
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
17g is less durable, but if you don't break 16g, it's worth a shot.

GlenK
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I've reached the point I won't even string anything above 1.25mm, or below 1.20. Just love strings in that range. Do lose some durability but the added control and feel are much better for me.

parasailing
07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
It's also easier to string 17gauge strings than 16 gauge ones and I try to keep my setups in the 17 guage and thinner variety.