PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the NYC

evw
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Will be staying a week in NY at the SoHoGrand. Any advice on finding some 5.0-5.5 tennis would be appreciated.

jpsigchi
07-04-2005, 10:58 PM
When are u visiting?

evw
07-05-2005, 07:42 AM
July 11-16th

Jonnyf
07-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm in the Grand Hyatt for 5 nights starting THursday ( this one it's da 7th i fink)

Colpo
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Your location's not ideal for City tennis, since you're so far downtown. Some local clubs may be able to help, even though they're generally private - they may match you with a member, who knows? I'm thinking Tennisport in LIC (Queens) and Roosevelt Island Racquet Club and Stadium Racquet (not private) in the Bronx. Call'em up and see. Also, you could shoot up to Central Park TC at W. 93rd in the park, where there's a bulletin board where locals look for matches. They have to self-rate and leave a phone number, so you could get a few numbers and call around.

evw
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM
thats some great advice. thanks Colpo

On a side note I'm free all day so going here or there is not a problem and also gives me a chance to see the city.

edit*
Oh my god! Court fees are insane...$40-120 an hour! Man I didn't realize how good we have it. And I was complaining the other day about a $12 all day guest fee with no charge for courts.

Colpo
07-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Should be fun scouting out your options. Should mention that Roosevelt Island RC is on what is technically considered a part of Manhattan (an island in the East River between Manhattan and Queens), and it's one subway stop on the F off of Manhattan island. The RC is then a three-minute walk from the subway - drop-dead views from there of the Manhattan skyline.

Tennisport is also in a great location; their outdoor courts on the East River are some of the nicest-situated courts I've ever seen, again with the Manhattan skyline right there. They have some notable members, namely John McEnroe, Courier and I heard Robert Plant is still a member, too!

Stadium is kind of dumpy and will probably be razed to make room for the stupid new Yankee Stadium. It's a block north of the ballpark. Coming from a place as nice as San Fran, spare yourself the assorted smells and vistas you'd undoubtedly encounter subway'ing up there unless you get desperate.

Central Park TC is a beautiful public complex. The Har Tru is generally well-maintained, and you're in a very nice, green park, similar to your Golden Gate TC. Here, though, you get 60 minutes per reservation (doesn't GGTC do 90-minute blocks?).

Good luck.

evw
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Although I would prefer to play at a club I can't justify paying those insane court fees.

Sounds like Central Park may be my best "affordable" bet. I'll try posting on Craigslist for people to play in Central Park. Looks like those with a season pass can have a guest for only $5 an hour.

Yes, GGPTC is 1.5 hours and you can book longer if you want. Plus its only $6 for the 1.5 hour block of time.

Colpo
07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Although I would prefer to play at a club I can't justify paying those insane court fees.

Sounds like Central Park may be my best "affordable" bet. I'll try posting on Craigslist for people to play in Central Park. Looks like those with a season pass can have a guest for only $5 an hour.

Yes, GGPTC is 1.5 hours and you can book longer if you want. Plus its only $6 for the 1.5 hour block of time.

Good point re: the fees - the private route is expensive around here.

Central Park is actually $7 (used to be $5) for a "single play ticket," what non-permit holders have to buy to play there. Technically, you're not somebody's guest; you're just somebody who wants to play but doesn't have a seasonal permit. However, you can buy a ticket right at the TC right before you play and they'll let you repeat play (i.e., play more than an hour) if courts are available on the same ticket, one per day.

david aames
07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Craigslist is you best bet indeed.

You can go to p aragon in Union Square (18 st @ Broadway) and buy a 'single play ticket' for 7 bucks or so at the stringing services desk. They are accepted at all public courts including the Riverside Clay Courts in Riverside Park (well maintained red clay courts)

More info on the Riverside courts at
http://www.rcta.info/

You should stay away from CP at all costs. It is a zoo in the summer and you will be bullied by the old timers. I've seen people FIGHT over court time over there.

david aames
07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
You might want to call or email this guy Mark (see link below) and ask him if he could forward your info to the good players on their ladder. If you're really playing 5.0 it shouldn't be a problem finding a match.

Good luck.

http://www.rcta.info/ContactUs.html

jpsigchi
07-05-2005, 09:11 PM
email me at jpasion@excite.com. I live on Long Island (about 40-45 mins away from the city), but I'm in the city alot. If u are willing, I'm a part time teaching pro out on the island and I can get free court time where I teach. If not I can definitely meet u in the city. We would just have to try to find tennis courts with reasonable rates. Look into the USTA national tennis center for prices also.

evw
07-06-2005, 06:55 AM
USTA National Tennis Center
Outdoor Rates:
Monday-Friday
8am-4pm...$16/hour

looks like this could be a fun option!

jpsigchi-sent you an email
david aames- thanks for the contact info

Colpo
07-06-2005, 08:20 AM
USTA National Tennis Center
Outdoor Rates:
Monday-Friday
8am-4pm...$16/hour

looks like this could be a fun option!

jpsigchi-sent you an email
david aames- thanks for the contact info

How could I forget the NTC? The best deal in tennis court time in the country. Make sure to ask for a show court like 4, 7 or 11, if you like the idea of playing in front of stands (albeit empty) just like the pros. You must bring water out there because there isn't any by the courts. The backcourts are so deep, bring a ballboy or two just to retrieve. The NTC is by far your best bet, especially if you're playing a Long Islander who can meet you there halfway.

zenit
07-09-2005, 03:19 PM
back when i lived in NYC i used to play in central park. They have some nice clay courts there that are cheap also. Dont remember at what street level they were...

Jonnyf
07-11-2005, 04:17 AM
I am going to FLushing today and guess i shall play i hope i can get a show court that would be sooo cool

tricky nicky
07-11-2005, 04:33 AM
what a sad case.......

imagine going on holiday to new york and then still posting on these boards..........

what a loser man...........

still gotta maintain that bar at 15.15 posts per day right johnny boy?

evw
07-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Tennis in NYC was great...althought the humidity left something to be desired.

Played one morning with jpsigchi at the USTA center...lots of fun. I would highly recommend it. Grounds crew even gave us some balls from last years open. Also got in a couple of days at RCTA, played with some top notch guys, a great experience on fabulous red clay courts.

Thanks everybody for your advice it made my trip.

kicker75
07-18-2005, 09:02 AM
The nicest courts in NYC are by far the NTC...the decoturf is fantastic, the staff friendly, and it's cheap (plus you can play at night with lighted or indoor courts)...though I don't believe they will match you up with players like a club can. The only real con with the NTC is that you're at the Soho Grand, and Flushing can be a bit of a trek...probably take you an hour to get out there on the subway.

However, if you want to play for free, there are public courts at Ft. Washington (150's and the Hudson River) where technically you need a permit, but there is no one ever there to check them... Again though, this is a trek. You can go to Riverside Park (119th street or 96th street - harcourt and clay courts respectively), and if you go on a weekday, they'll usually let you play without a permit if the courts aren't crowded.

Finally, near the Soho Grand, there are public courts on Chambers (with lights) and also the Hudson River courts

BTW...anyone know what the deal with the Hudson River courts are? I just found out about them...

jpsigchi
07-18-2005, 08:10 PM
evw-thanks for a great time, I sent you an email. Wish I could have hit another day, but time is limited when you're in medical school. I'll def. be in touch with you.

Phil
07-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Craigslist is you best bet indeed.

You can go to p aragon in Union Square (18 st @ Broadway) and buy a 'single play ticket' for 7 bucks or so at the stringing services desk. They are accepted at all public courts including the Riverside Clay Courts in Riverside Park (well maintained red clay courts)

More info on the Riverside courts at
http://www.rcta.info/

You should stay away from CP at all costs. It is a zoo in the summer and you will be bullied by the old timers. I've seen people FIGHT over court time over there.

David, you aren't kiddiing about CP-some of those geriatrics would bite your head off if you pose any threat of cutting into their daily doubles time. A waste of time playing there.

divito
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Phil, e-mail didn't show I replied in the other thread for an alternate e-mail if you didn't see it. Do you have MSN or AIM? I'll be on for awhile.

Phil
07-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Divito - I e-mailed your hotmail account. Check it out.

divito
07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Yahoo e-mail?

penang
07-19-2005, 08:42 PM
The nicest courts in NYC are by far the NTC...the decoturf is fantastic, the staff friendly, and it's cheap (plus you can play at night with lighted or indoor courts)...though I don't believe they will match you up with players like a club can. The only real con with the NTC is that you're at the Soho Grand, and Flushing can be a bit of a trek...probably take you an hour to get out there on the subway.

However, if you want to play for free, there are public courts at Ft. Washington (150's and the Hudson River) where technically you need a permit, but there is no one ever there to check them... Again though, this is a trek. You can go to Riverside Park (119th street or 96th street - harcourt and clay courts respectively), and if you go on a weekday, they'll usually let you play without a permit if the courts aren't crowded.

Finally, near the Soho Grand, there are public courts on Chambers (with lights) and also the Hudson River courts

BTW...anyone know what the deal with the Hudson River courts are? I just found out about them...

kicker75,
Keep me posted if you got details on the Hudson River courts. Those are brand new and I believe only two courts. I was in a traffic one time when I past them.

T3nn15dud5
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
How did it go with Flushing? Junior camp just ened today, usually they use most of the courts outside until 7:30PM

shsman2091
07-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Wow, I wouldn't be able to pay even $16 an hour at the NTC. I play at the courts at my high school in Long Island, and they made 4 new ones last year, so obviously their in great shape. Best of all, they're FREE! The also have a wall there for practicing. In total they have seven courts at the high school, and whenever I go there, its not too busy, with max of 3 courts bein used up during weekends. I go there everyday, have a hitting partner, and every weekends many of my buddies and I have a tournament, playing there for up to 8 hours sometimes. Its real fun, but I can't imagine myself paying, even $7 an hour, to play on a well kept tennis court. My cousins live in Farmingdale, and they even have three free courts well kept with no cracks. Anyhow, I am very surprised that there aren't enough courts to just play free near the city, for as long as you want.

penang
07-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, I wouldn't be able to pay even $16 an hour at the NTC. I play at the courts at my high school in Long Island, and they made 4 new ones last year, so obviously their in great shape. Best of all, they're FREE! The also have a wall there for practicing. In total they have seven courts at the high school, and whenever I go there, its not too busy, with max of 3 courts bein used up during weekends. I go there everyday, have a hitting partner, and every weekends many of my buddies and I have a tournament, playing there for up to 8 hours sometimes. Its real fun, but I can't imagine myself paying, even $7 an hour, to play on a well kept tennis court. My cousins live in Farmingdale, and they even have three free courts well kept with no cracks. Anyhow, I am very surprised that there aren't enough courts to just play free near the city, for as long as you want.

shsman,
Are those public courts lighted, in Long Island. Does anyone has to pay to use the court or get a permit or just for the residents only?

shsman2091
07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
2 of the newer courts at the high school are lighted. As I said, nobody has to pay to use the court or get a permit, nothing. Its not even limited just for residents. My hitting partner lives in Westchester, which is more than an hour drive away, but he works near the courts and when he is off at 4:30, we play up till 7:30. Aren't there other places with the same deal? I can't believe I'm the only one at this thread that can go to free well-kept courts all the time. Obviously I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but It just surprises me that people would pay that much to play by the hour.

jpsigchi
07-30-2005, 09:52 PM
I live on long island also and I do agree that there are many public courts that are well kept. I have played on well lit public courts for free too. I'm a part time teaching pro at an indoor facility on Long Island and usually the 6 indoor courts we have are almost always booked during the day during the summer. You'll be suprised with the amout of people who are willing to pay the money. My club charges between $15-$50 an hour depending on time of day. When it comes down to it, I'll pay a reasonable fee to play on well kept courts. $50 is a bit much, but in the $10-$20 range, i can afford. When Eric and I played at the USTA tennis center we both chpped in $8 a piece for the court fee. And we were able to play for almost 2 hours.

Playing anywhere in the New York City is not free. Even as a resident of the city, you still have to pay a fee per season to use the tennis courts.

jj300
08-02-2005, 08:02 AM
This may not apply as much as the tourisist to nyc but the people who actually live there. Where i live, is about 25 minutes away by train and the local clay courts have 7 courts and membership is somehing like $600 for the entire season for the whole family! there are some good players around and you can usually pick up games from the people sitting at the porch. I know we have/had some people who lived in nyc and would commute because the prices of tennis in nyc is simply out of this world. e-mail me if anyone needs more info

Tchocky
08-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Isn't the price of everything in NYC out of this world?