PDA

View Full Version : Gut crosses

seb23
07-11-2011, 04:34 PM
How many people string gut in the crosses and poly mains. Im thinking of doing this but is there still a lot of benefit of having the guy in the crosses

I havent ever played with guy before so wanted to try it but also want something that will be semi durable so guy mains will probably be out of the question

Up&comer
07-11-2011, 05:17 PM
I use gut crosses. It really maximizes the gut by making it more durable as well as giving the poly a little more feel and power. Definitely recommend it if you like gut.

However, if you've never used gut, regardless of whether or not you think it's expensive, it's definitely worth trying in a full bed.

But if you really want to not pay for that, I would definitely suggest gut crosses.

formula16
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
gut crosses really just softens up the poly mains. You can achieve that same effect with a much cheaper syn gut/multi

dozu
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
it's a waste of money to put gut in the crosses.... the polys are gonna die in 10 hours, when the gut is barely broken in.

put in a cheap nylon like Forten Sweet and do a blind test, I bet $5 that you won't be able to tell the difference.

slice bh compliment
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I like gut mains with poly crosses. Great power, spin, feel and control. Plus, when the poly is dying, the gut is breaking. Nice timing. Made in heaven.

TimothyO
07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Gut mains on poly crosses are magic.

Gut crosses are a waste of money. Use a soft multi instead.

got spin?
07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I use gut in tourneys, too expensive for practice, rec, or teaching.

pvaudio
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I disagree completely with those saying that gut crosses are a waste of money. Using natural gut will keep your poly playable far longer than any synthetic.

dozu, while that may be the case, there's a fundamental difference. When the poly dies and you're using a synthetic, you need to cut out the strings. When the poly dies using natural crosses, you don't. The gut allows you to keep playing after the strings have gone under, and while the spin isn't exactly monstrous, the playability is still very high. No synthetic can give you that.

seb23
07-12-2011, 03:48 AM
One of the reasons i didnt want to have gut mains is that i have a prestige mid plus and with the dense string pattern i dont think i would have enough string for 2 string jobs.

does anyone here play with a prestige mid plus with gut?

is gut generally less durable than synthetic gut?

GlenK
07-12-2011, 04:49 AM
One of the reasons i didnt want to have gut mains is that i have a prestige mid plus and with the dense string pattern i dont think i would have enough string for 2 string jobs.

does anyone here play with a prestige mid plus with gut?

is gut generally less durable than synthetic gut?

Yes, I use VS Team 17 mains and when I get a new set I split it right down the middle and when starting with half the set I divide the set evenly and pull it through the first two holes.
BUT, I need a starting clamp on the last pull on each side to bridge for the final pull. I have a CP machine with rotational gripper. If you can get your tension head close to the frame you may not need to bridge it for that last pull.

Doing it that way there is still about 6 inches of string remaining after tying off each side.

seb23
07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
i will have to speak to my stringer about it next time i get my racket done, if not i could just maybe have 1 racket with gut mains and then use the rest on the crosses of my other racket when i have that strung