PDA

View Full Version : Cotton vs. Dri Fit/ Climacool

got spin?
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM
While playing today on a hardcourt, (the hottest surface) I played for one hour starting with a Clima cool adidas t. I noticed the poor absorbtion capacity from the shirt, dri fit is the same. However as soon as the shirt reaches its wettest it it does not stick to your skin at all and tends to dry and absorb more sweat. I changed to a cotton shirt and it worked great for about 20 minutes and my skin was dry and after that the cotton got heavy and stuck to my skin pretty badly. Ive been wondering which one is better to play in. Cotton that works 150% for 20 or 30 minutes and then is awful. Or Clima cool that aborbs poorly but dries quick and then absorbs more. Is it worth playing in cotton and changing more often? Or in Dri Fit/Climacool and just feeling nasty and wet all of the time but it continues to absorb and dry? Also I have noticed that Drifit tends to dry better and dry quicker than Clima Cool. Me being a sweat hog I tend to like the performance ts better than cotton just because it continues to dry continuously but absorbs poorly vs. cotton that aborbs to capacity (which is alot!) and then doesnt dry.

guitarplayer
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
The problem I have with the polyester shirts is that they trap in body heat. They don't breath like cotton. So I feel much hotter. I just bring a few cheap cotton tees and stay cool.

got spin?
07-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I will definatley be wearing poly tom. I have lessons to teach all day, not going to sweat (that much, lol). I never tie my shoes when I teach either, too hot.

OldButGame
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I dunno,...i always used to wear cotton TShirts,....and would overheat bigtime!. This year i started wearing the 'dri-fit' and other 'performance' type shirts. They made a WORLD of difference for me in terms of staying cooler, and greater comfort. :)

got spin?
07-11-2011, 08:08 PM
The cotton shirts do work well when they get wet. They get cool when you jump in the car and crank the AC!

BobFL
07-11-2011, 08:12 PM
I have tried them all. The best thing there is (for me) is UA "Edge" t shirt with "Tennis" printed in front. Size XL is 150 grams only (all other tennis shirts are 200+grams). It is unbelievable how good this shirt is.

got spin?
07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Nike? I dont have much nike as my club gets me adidas for 75% off for being a pro.

mctennis
07-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Poly makes me feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag when it's hot. I always wear cotton shirts. I tried wearing one poly shirt and thought I was going to pass out in the SC heat.

Bartelby
07-11-2011, 08:42 PM
As with racquets, sometimes the technology is more than just a gimmick and the new generation poly shirts, as opposed to the old style ones, work much better than cotton. For non-sporting or short exercise wear, cotton works fine.

BobFL
07-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Poly makes me feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag when it's hot. I always wear cotton shirts. I tried wearing one poly shirt and thought I was going to pass out in the SC heat.

Not all polys are the same. Far from it. Try UA heatgear line and you'll see. Btw, I still have Adidas poly shirt from 4 years ago and it truly feels like a GLAD trash bag compared to the latest products.

mctennis
07-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks BobFL, I'll check out those shirts.

got spin?
07-12-2011, 05:35 AM
BobFL, its good to see a long time Djok fan! I cant stand the Djok band wagoners.

Al Czervik
07-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Bob is absolutely right, not all dri-fit/climacool is equal, even within the same company. I have some Nike and Fila that are light and airy, but others that are like god awful plastic. FWIW, the Fila spring crews are terrible for breathability, but the new Fed crew is great. I will say that almost all of my Under Armour crews breathe well.

adidasman
07-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Gotta go for the ClimaCool shirts with plenty of mesh inserts; that helps a lot with breathability. I never play in cotton any more; it just gets so soggy and heavy. The poly shirts hold up in the wash much better, too.

JackB1
07-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Totally agree with those that said not all "dry fit" shirts are created equal. You have to find what works best for you and then stock up. I found an Adidas polyester shirt that feels and breaths like cotton, but it doesn't get saturated like cotton does. I also have some other cheap Target brand dry-fit shirts that feel like a plastic bag and get wet and cling to you like a kitten. Experiment and find something that works, but definitely no cotton t-shirts in the hot, humid summertime!

bigmalik76
07-12-2011, 06:47 AM
^^^ I agree with Jack and think the key is, to find what works for you. If you like cotton better and change every 20-30 min so be it.
Personally I prefer "dry fit" / "clima cool" type garments but as posters said on here before they are not all equal so it comes down what works best for you.

Kunohara
07-12-2011, 06:57 AM
I wear these. Easily the best shirt I've ever worn to play tennis.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Mens_Summer_Challenger_Swoosh_T-Shirt/descpageMANIKE-NMSUCTS.html

BobFL
07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks BobFL, I'll check out those shirts.

You are very welcome! Btw, go with full-quality 'heatgear' line. Don't buy 'essentials' line or 'basic' line. 'Essentials' are $15-$20 and 'heatgears' are $30-$35.

For 'value' shoppers, I would like to add that the best cheap poly-shirts I've ever tried are "Nordictrac". You guys can find them in Macy's. They have them in like 10 different colours and they are $9.98. I also have 3 Old Navy polos from their RecTech line and they are very nice (3 for $20; clearance prices).

Yep, I 100% agree that both Nike and Adidas are segmenting with styles, prices and materials. Fed and Nadal lines are of superior quality garments. Former Nole's Adidas line is GREAT quality as well. Mid-range offerings are...well I'll just say that the difference is noticeable.

skiracer55
07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
...work just fine for me. Well vented, don't trap heat, wick moisture very nicely. Also, because the local Adidas rep is a close personal friend of mine, I can get their stuff at 20 cents on the dollar...

got spin?
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Yea, Im a big fan of the barricade items for match play and really hot sweaty days. Im getting the new adidas barricade line package from my club with two of each color shorts and shirts along with a hat and two pairs of barricades for $80. I love my job.

OldButGame
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
You are very welcome! Btw, go with full-quality 'heatgear' line. Don't buy 'essentials' line or 'basic' line. 'Essentials' are $15-$20 and 'heatgears' are $30-$35.

For 'value' shoppers, I would like to add that the best cheap poly-shirts I've ever tried are "Nordictrac". You guys can find them in Macy's. They have them in like 10 different colours and they are $9.98. I also have 3 Old Navy polos from their RecTech line and they are very nice (3 for $20; clearance prices).

Yep, I 100% agree that both Nike and Adidas are segmenting with styles, prices and materials. Fed and Nadal lines are of superior quality garments. Former Nole's Adidas line is GREAT quality as well. Mid-range offerings are...well I'll just say that the difference is noticeable.
Thx for the info!!!...(i was paying too much at D icks,...even on sale dangit......)...Im gonna look this other stuff up!! :)

Al Czervik
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Gonna post some examples of good and bad for dry fit. This was the worst Nike for me, even though I loved the look of it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rhw9ia.jpg

I think these are also bad for breathability.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Fila_Mens_Spring_Baseline_Grid_Crew/descpageMAFILA-FMSBGC.html

itsEr
07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Yea, Im a big fan of the barricade items for match play and really hot sweaty days. Im getting the new adidas barricade line package from my club with two of each color shorts and shirts along with a hat and two pairs of barricades for $80. I love my job.

I've been wondering...what club are you at? CCV?

got spin?
07-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Oh, my location is old. I work at wintergreen resort in wintergreen, VA I used to live in richmond.

itsEr
07-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Gonna post some examples of good and bad for dry fit. This was the worst Nike for me, even though I loved the look of it.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2rhw9ia.jpg

I think these are also bad for breathability.
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/FMSBGC-WH-1.jpg

Agree with the Nike crew. I just bought one, nice fit and all, but like you said, great looks, but terrible breathability. It only takes 5 minutes of sweating for it to start sticking to my body, which is not desirable in the least.

Oh, my location is old. I work at wintergreen resort in wintergreen, VA I used to live in richmond.
Ahh that's what it is. I love wintergreen, i wish i had done the L2 there a few days ago.

BobFL
07-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Thx for the info!!!...(i was paying too much at D icks,...even on sale dangit......)...Im gonna look this other stuff up!! :)

You are very welcome! :)

As an aside note, I totally agree with Al. Nike truly dropped the ball with that line. Fila is by far the worst of all 'name brands'. They use very low quality garments.

got spin?
07-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I found some regular Clima Cool tops at Kohls today for $15 dollars a piece and in every color! I got one of each color, no pink though :(

adidasman
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I found some regular Clima Cool tops at Kohls today for $15 dollars a piece and in every color! I got one of each color, no pink though :( If they're the plain t-shirt style - just a small adidas logo on the left chest and a solid color otherwise - those are nice shirts. Really soft, nice cut, pretty decent at wicking if you don't sweat too much. I must have a half dozen of them, at least. The only drag is that the logos sometimes peel off of the shirt after a few washings... (I don't play in them, though. I'd sweat through them in no time. But they're great for summertime biking and that kind of thing; they keep me from looking like I fell into the pool.)

got spin?
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Yea, its just a plain t shirt style with adidas on the left and CLIMACOOL on the left sleeve. They seem really soft and a good product for the price, not exactly for tennis but for 15$! thats a steal!

Gemini
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm a fan of the Dri-Fit/ClimaCool type shirts. They're awesome in terms of not trapping heat as others have said. They can get soaked with sweat but tend to dry fairly quickly. I'm willing to pay $20 for the t-shirts but I've found similar shirts (cotton/poly moisture wicking) in the Champion and Russell lines that cost between $8 and $12.

got spin?
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I never ever buy Walmart brand or generic brands like that. They get pulls really easily and suck at drying and smell really bad no matter how much you wash them.

WildVolley
07-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I never ever buy Walmart brand or generic brands like that. They get pulls really easily and suck at drying and smell really bad no matter how much you wash them.

I don't know if that's true, but I do know that more expensive brands have started to incorporate silver into the poly shirts in order to fight the buildup of bacteria. Silver is famous for being antibacterial - one of the reasons it is used in utensils. However, that's going to increase the cost of shirts that have a silver treatment.

Gasolina
07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes for some reason, cheaper polys tend to smell even immediately after washing.

bigmalik76
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
One thing I notice is that the dri-fit/climacool stuff seems to work much better if the clothes are loose (i.e. have more room away from skin to dry out quickly). When they are tight they seem much more sticky and do not dry as fast IMO

ci2ca
07-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I tend to wear polyester blended with cotton. It provides the feel of cotton but the breathability of poly. Try it, it feels great.

got spin?
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Ive got some of those but I still like the soft feel of a good polyester shirt. Especially the stretchy stuff adidas makes their barricade stuff out of.

Al Czervik
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
These are my two best drifits. The Nike is probably 2-3 years old. If there is an equivalent line now, let me know. I should also say that my Yonex crew from a couple of years ago is great.

http://i51.tinypic.com/3003zhs.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/8vst2d.jpg

trebbor
07-14-2011, 12:37 AM
I always liked the Dri-Fit shirts of Nike. Always been and always will be a Nike fan too. Nike always experiment with their Dri-Fit. Nadal's pink shirt of Roland Garros 2009 shown below felt cotton-like, but very soft as well. You couldn't see most of the sweat like you usually do on normal cotton shirts.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2009+French+Open+Day+Four+tRidJF3qVYql.jpg

In 2010 Nike went to almost full polyester shirts. In my experience, the best one is the one Nadal wears at Roland Garros 2011.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Rafael_Nadal_2011_Roland_Garros_2011.jpg/250px-Rafael_Nadal_2011_Roland_Garros_2011.jpg

I love the loose fit and it's hard to see you're sweating in it.

The Federer polo's of nowadays are pretty tight ..

I also have one shirt by Adidas:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/adidas_Mens_Spring_adiZero_Crew/descpageMAADIDAS-ANSZC.html

This one in pink. This shirt also have the same positives as the Nadal RG2011 shirt.

Also I found out that this AdiZero crew dries quicker than the Dri-Fit shirts of Nike.

Still, I love the designs by Nike! : >

Fuzzball7
07-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Definitely Climacool.. It feels as though Dri Fit is cheap. :/

got spin?
07-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Does Federer just not sweat that much or are his shirts just really good at drying quickly?

trebbor
07-14-2011, 06:05 AM
I think it's the first, I mean, he doesn't even get his white socks dirty after playing on clay ! : >

BobFL
07-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Does Federer just not sweat that much or are his shirts just really good at drying quickly?

Machines don't sweat.

got spin?
07-14-2011, 12:24 PM
He did change his shirt after seeing him go off court at the FO finals. But that probaboly wasnt sweat. Must have been a wrinkle in the wrong place or a little clay on the chest. Lol

coolhandluke
07-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Agree with the Nike crew. I just bought one, nice fit and all, but like you said, great looks, but terrible breathability. It only takes 5 minutes of sweating for it to start sticking to my body, which is not desirable in the least.

Ahh that's what it is. I love wintergreen, i wish i had done the L2 there a few days ago.

i like the Fila!

onehandbh
07-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Give Pima cotton a try. It is higher quality cotton and very soft.
Also lighter weight and breathes better.

escii_35
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Hot and dry -> cotton
Hot and humid -> fibers not found in nature

Timo
07-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Under Armour has a new line, I believe it's called "Energized Cotton" that is mostly (or maybe 100%) cotton that has been treated to wick sweat like the light poly blends do, but doesn't have the "static cling" of the climacool/dry-fit type poly.

Timo
07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
http://blogs.forbes.com/monteburke/2011/01/26/in-an-about-face-under-armour-will-introduce-cotton-apparel/

Under Armour "Charged Cotton"

PBODY99
07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
A little vinegar in the wash water helps with the odor. I don't need to carry as many tops with the wicking shirts.

got spin?
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
A little vinegar in the wash water helps with the odor. I don't need to carry as many tops with the wicking shirts.

Or just dont buy the generic brands and save yourself some vinegar :) But really the name brands dont smell really. Only the Russel and Champion and what ever that is that target sells is the stuff that smells.

mark999
07-31-2011, 03:44 AM
columbia omni-dry short and long sleeve T's are the best i've tried. playing in 95 degree, heat i could not wring any sweat out of the shirt. i always wear long sleeves, which seems to keep me cooler in direct sun and wear white or light grey colors. don't know if they still make them, but i've found them @ marshalls, ross, etc. the nike drifit T"s made for runners are extremely light and comfortable and also dry very quickly.

Sleepstream
07-31-2011, 04:02 AM
I have tried all of these technologies hoping that some would work in humid conditions, but nothing does. Friday morning I had two shirts soaked. I hung them to dry on a bench in direct sunlight, and after an hour, they were still damp.

Stupid humidity.

Tall Bama Guy
08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
There is a fairly new brand calle tasc - combo of cotton/bamboo/elastane. Best performing and best feeling shirts hands down, and not too expensive.

myusername
08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I got the norditrack dry wicking t shirts work much better than cotton T's and are under $10 at sears. Stayed cool with he moisture being pulled away from my body into the shirt and then evaporating much faster. 1 shirt for the whole match. the Dry wick from Stater were not as good and seemed to cling more which was annoying.