PDA

View Full Version : hybriding natural gut with....

Tar Heel Tennis
07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
natural gut...
I have several sets of Unifibre 16g natural gut, which I actually like. However, my stringer refuses to string a full bed of this string because he says it is quite painful threading the crosses.

I'm thinking of taking him a set of Pacific Classic 17g plus the Unifibre, and have him hybrid the two guts.

Several Questions:
1) can the crosses be strung before the mains?
2) what kind of feel might I expect with the 17g Pacific as crosses/16g Unifbre as mains? pros and cons?
3) what kind of feel might I expect with the 16g Unifbre as crosses/ 17g Pacific as mains? pros and cons?

This possible setup would be strung in a KPS88.

Hoping some of you string gurus can educate me! ;)

Rabbit
07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Several Questions:

Yes, but you're likely to break the frame. Stringing a frame is the most stressful thing you can do to it through normal use. The mains are always strung first.

2) what kind of feel might I expect with the 17g Pacific as crosses/16g Unifbre as mains? pros and cons?

If you're going to use something different in the crosses, I would recommend either a thin poly strung at the same tension or a nice multi strung at the same tension. I don't think you're going to buy yourself a great deal by mix/matching gut.

3) what kind of feel might I expect with the 16g Unifbre as crosses/ 17g Pacific as mains? pros and cons?

80% of a string job's feel comes from the mains. The crosses basically just hold the mains in place and help soften/stiffen the stringbed depending on what's used.

I have never used Unifibre, so I can't comment. Pacific Classic is a stiffer playing gut, and one of my favorites. The 17 gauge is really nice and has great power and control. I think you'll like it, especially in lieu of the price.

Tar Heel Tennis
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Rabbit!

Since my stringer is unwilling to 'cross' the Unifibre, and I prefer the feel of the 17g, I'll just have him string a full-bed with Pacific.

Thanks for your response!

Rabbit
07-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Sure thing, let me know how you like the Classic 17.

The friend of mine who introduced me to the Aerostorm and then allowed me to introduce him to the EXO3 is stringing his EXO3 Tour at 58 with Classic and Babolat RPM 17 at 58 in the crosses.

Tar Heel Tennis
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I've used Classic 17 in a Pure Storm Tour GT and another frame (slipping my mind at the moment...) and am pretty happy with it. I normally use VS Team, but have this set of Pacific I'm trying to get rid of.

I'll just have to find someone else willing to string the Unifibre for me in the future! :)

Rabbit
07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Hell, ship 'em to me!

hebrewhammer
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Several Questions:

Yes, but you're likely to break the frame. Stringing a frame is the most stressful thing you can do to it through normal use. The mains are always strung first.

If you're going to use something different in the crosses, I would recommend either a thin poly strung at the same tension or a nice multi strung at the same tension. I don't think you're going to buy yourself a great deal by mix/matching gut.

80% of a string job's feel comes from the mains. The crosses basically just hold the mains in place and help soften/stiffen the stringbed depending on what's used.

I have never used Unifibre, so I can't comment. Pacific Classic is a stiffer playing gut, and one of my favorites. The 17 gauge is really nice and has great power and control. I think you'll like it, especially in lieu of the price.

Thought i'd chime in for question # 1.
It depends on the composition of the racket. I spoke with my rep for donnay and he strung the crosses first on his red 99 and it didnt break, it just got thinner lol. But he likes it more with the thinner frame

hebrewhammer
07-12-2011, 05:22 PM
But that doesn't mean i'm telling you to try it