PDA

View Full Version : gut question

mrtrinh
07-11-2011, 11:02 PM
recently bought a pair of rackets with full gut strung on them. the seller says the strings/string job are about 9 months old but with only a few hours of hitting on them. theyre currently strung with klip/wilson natural gut. my question is can gut go old or bad since its been so long. the strings feel very dry and a little stiff. although i did enjoy hitting with a full bed of gut, is there any reason i should cut out the strings or continue hitting with the strings?

scotus
07-11-2011, 11:25 PM
If you like the way it hits, keep hitting until it breaks.

No need to cut it out.

scotus
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Make sure you have a backup racquet if you are playing a match.

mrtrinh
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
thanks ill just hit with it til the strings break. BTW how stiff is klip? the seller said the tension was 50 but it feels a lot stiffer like 58-60

scotus
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Klip Legend is probably the stiffest gut out there.

It was the first gut I tried years ago when I was stricken with tennis elbow. Legend only aggravated the injury.

Then I tried VS. What a difference ... and relief!

Since I started stringing for myself, I found that Klip performs best when no prestretching is done.

No prestretch -- it plays like crisp gut.

Prestretch -- you get a boardy stiff stringbed.

I recommend you string Klip lower than VS.

mrtrinh
07-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Klip Legend is probably the stiffest gut out there.

It was the first gut I tried years ago when I was stricken with tennis elbow. Legend only aggravated the injury.

Then I tried VS. What a difference ... and relief!

Since I started stringing for myself, I found that Klip performs best when no prestretching is done.

No prestretch -- it plays like crisp gut.

Prestretch -- you get a boardy stiff stringbed.

I recommend you string Klip lower than VS.

Thanks for the info!