PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Black Widow in a PSC

Aps1987
07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Has anyone strung this in a PSC or a similar frame (any Wilson 6.1 95 16x18)?

I'm planning on hybriding with a multi or a syn gut cross, but I'm not sure what tension to go with as I've heard Black Widow loses quite a bit of tension. Still, I don't like to string polys very high. 55 max, I'd say, though I've liked them more in the 47-52 range.

To account for the tension loss, if I want it to end up around 48-50, what tension should I have it strung at?

To make this clearer, I'm not doing the stringing myself, I only have one set, and I'm poor, so I don't wanna mess around too much trying to find the optimum tension. Obviously there is no definite answer, but a guide would be nice if anyone has an idea!

Tennis100
07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Black widow Is super soft..You're supposed to string it at the same tension as a synthetic.

mikeler
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I strung BW at 48 as a main string and that was just too low. The string is so soft and loses a lot of tension, so I'd say if 55 is your max standard for polys, try that out.

Edgewood
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I used black widow in my dunlop 4d 200 which is similiar to your racquet but 18x20.
I normally string with prince original synthetic gut 17g or more recently head RIP control 17g both at 65lbs.
I strung the black widow at 60lbs and it felt great for the first match but then everything started sailing on me. It felt way too powerful. I had heard from others it loses tension extremely fast and should have strung it at 65lbs to offset the tension loss.
Needless to say I won't buy it again. But it did feel great for that short period of time. Extremely soft for a poly.