PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Classic or Babolat Tonic to replace my Head RIP Control?

Edgewood
07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone. I have been reading these forums for the last 5 years or so but this is my first post. I love this site with all the knowledge and expertise you guys possess.

I have a Dunlop 4D 200 which is a 95 sq in 18x20 pattern. I am only a 4.5, all court player with descent topspin.
I am using Head RIP Control 17g strung at 65lbs and really like it. Prior to that I was using Prince Original Synthetic Gut 17g at 65lbs. I love my RIP Control for the low power as I feel I can really swing out and not worry about the ball sailing long. Have strung RIP at 55lbs and it was way too powerful.

I used to use 16x19 patterns in Wilson 6.1 95 and Dunlop 300s. Both in 16g and I would break strings quite frequently. In the Dunlop 200 tight 18x20 I donít even break 17g for a very long time.

So I know everyone here has said to try gut once in your life and from reading lots of posts I have narrowed it down to Pacific Classic or Babolat Tonic. I figured I would use 16g for the extra durability and string it at my same tension of 65lbs.

I donít want to use a hybrid as I string my own racquets with a Gamma X-6 and canít get 2 racquet mains done with 40í of string due to the 18 mains and my machine having the twist around drop weight. Maybe there is a way to do it and I just havenít figured it out?
I have tried different polys, and although I like them for the first match or so, I feel the playability drops too much too quickly. They are also too hard on my arm.

So which of the two strings would you guys recommend? My concern with gut is too much power. I might end up staying with RIP Control after this experiment but want to try gut at least once in my life.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

spdskr
07-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Pacific Classic is lower powered than Tonic in my experience. I also find it somewhat easier to string than Tonic as it is less likely to unravel on the final crosses and easier to push through blocked holes. I prefer the 16L version of classic as it is more durable than 17 and more playable than 16. Use stingsavers to extend the life of the strings.

Rabbit
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
very well said and I agree 100%

To the OP, if gauge is important, Classic will give you more options.

With regard to feel & value, I like Classic better as well.

Edgewood
07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks to both of you!

meowmix
07-13-2011, 05:28 AM
I'd also go with tonic. They're both very good guts... but the very fact that I have to pay 35 bucks for gut that didn't quite make the mark for Babolat's VS gut... well, that... doesn't quite sit well with me.

MAX PLY
07-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Personally I prefer the Pacific Classic. It is my personal string (I play with a BLX 95 16x18). The PC in my opinion has a little better feel. I do play with 17g and do break a ton of strings but I really like the string. You really cannot go wrong with either one and both will give you good gut feel and power. Good luck.

Edgewood
07-14-2011, 05:29 AM
I'd also go with tonic. They're both very good guts... but the very fact that I have to pay 35 bucks for gut that didn't quite make the mark for Babolat's VS gut... well, that... doesn't quite sit well with me.

I assume you meant Pacific Classic by your words saying you would "also go with" as everyone else said pacific, and the rest of your comment??

Thanks to all that responded. I am going to go with the Pacific Classic for the lower power and the fact it is less expensive.

As far as string savers??
Used them once about five years ago. I put a whole bunch in the center right after stringing, and I remember hating them as they were a pain and I didn't think it was worth it (at least in a multi, but gut might be worth it?). Do they have to be put in prior to damage or can I wait until string starts to fray or notch and then put them in as needed? Or is it too late by then?
Thanks.

spdskr
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I would put them in a fresh string job, but you could always wait until you see the gut fraying. The will firm up the string bed. I would only use 20 at most.

Edgewood
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Thank you.

Boricua
07-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Will Tonic 15 gauge be more durable tha pacific Classic 16 or 17?
How would they compare in comfort as a main string?

Edgewood
07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, I put 16g Pacific Classic in at 65lbs. I have only played a couple of times but not extremely impressed at the moment. I like my Head RIP Control and Prince Original Synthetic Gut just as much. Of course those are both 17g. I should have gotten the 17g or at the very least 16Lg. I know everyone says the gut will get better so still hoping.

mctennis
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd go with Pacific Classic. I've used this for a while and I like the way it plays better than the Tonic IMHO.

spdskr
07-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, I put 16g Pacific Classic in at 65lbs. I have only played a couple of times but not extremely impressed at the moment. I like my Head RIP Control and Prince Original Synthetic Gut just as much. Of course those are both 17g. I should have gotten the 17g or at the very least 16Lg. I know everyone says the gut will get better so still hoping.

Stringing at 65 lbs seems a bit high for Classic. It is Pacific's lowest powered gut and is recommended to be strung at relatively low tensions. In fact, I believe the package suggests 50-60 lbs. While PSG is a nice performing sythetic, I can definitely tell the difference between it and Classic in my frames. Hopefully the durability and tension holding qualities of natural gut will impress you as you hit more with it.

Edgewood
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Stringing at 65 lbs seems a bit high for Classic. It is Pacific's lowest powered gut and is recommended to be strung at relatively low tensions. In fact, I believe the package suggests 50-60 lbs. While PSG is a nice performing sythetic, I can definitely tell the difference between it and Classic in my frames. Hopefully the durability and tension holding qualities of natural gut will impress you as you hit more with it.

In that case perhaps I should give the 17g Classic a try at 60lbs next time, unless I fall in love with the current set up before then. Thanks.