PDA

View Full Version : My Loser Hybrid

MuscleWeave
07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I thought it would be fun to have a space to point out what hybrid really did not work for us, then possibly share what we learned from the failed experiment and what we did next.

I tried Cyclone 18/Revelation 17 and found the Cyclone main to be too soft and muted. It also traveled alot. The two strings didn't feel as though they were performing as a unit. I haven't used cyclone again, but if I did I would try a 17g full bed. I still use Revelation. Right now I have strung up Revelation 17/BHBR 17. I haven't used it yet. Two muted strings again. We'll see how it goes.

Ducker
07-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Cyclones great in a full bed at around 54lbs. Its one of my favorites. Im currently trying Lux Savage strung at 50lbs, its pretty good. I just ordered a real of Lux Alu Rough and a half set of natty gut. I will try a hybrid first and then ill try a full bed of Rough.

Im using a Donnay Dual X gold 99 atm.

ethebull
07-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Anything combined with Head C3 Rocket. Mush pudding for feel.

MuscleWeave
07-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I couldn't find C3 Rocket for sale in TW. Is that a part poly / part nylon string?

Viking_Golfer
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I tried X-One 18 mains and BlackCode 18 crosses in a Babolat PD racquet.

Worst hybrid ever for me - strings moved a lot even though they were tensioned at 58 lbs mains and 54 lbs crosses.
Durability was 2 hours for me - and worst of all, the hybrid felt awful.
No feel, no spin, surprisingly little power too.

I would rate this hybrid 1/10 - HYBRID FAIL !!

Have since then found out I just hate BlackCode in general.

MuscleWeave
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Choosing the tension differential on a multi/poly hybrid is still uncharted waters, as far as I can tell. I recently strung a Revelation/BHBR setup at 54/51. Three pounds difference. I think I'll go to 2 lbs. difference next time. I figure the stiffness of the multi, compared to gut, allows us to string it closer to the tension of the poly.