PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please

Centryx
07-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi all
A buddy of mine is going through some shoulder and elbow pain so I need some suggestions for him, since switching to a poly and the PSGT from a Dunlop T200 (with hybrid Lux/Live Wire) he made the switch because later in matches his serve would go downhill since the Dunlop felt way too heavy

Racquet: Pure Storm GT
Tried:
RPM @ 57 Liked it but next day gave him shoulder/elbow soreness
RPM @ 55 Said it was ok but felt he lost control still had the soreness the next day
Blackcode @ 59 Loved it first day felt he had more pop and control on his shots slightly less spin on shots. two days later had alot of soreness and he felt he couldn't play with it at all (he went back to his other stick with RPM @57 and played muchbetter)

Other than suggesting changes in technique what strings should he try??
I suggested to him to move away from polys but he is addicted to the spin they generate.
so my ones to try for him in a full bed are:
Silverstring
Signum Hyperion
Black5edge
Any thoughts on what else to try? or what to hybrid?
my buddy is in his early 50's a 4.0 player with sound technique but not really a basher

thanks in advance

Agent Orynge
07-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi all
A buddy of mine is going through some shoulder and elbow pain so I need some suggestions for him, since switching to a poly and the PSGT from a Dunlop T200 (with hybrid Lux/Live Wire) he made the switch because later in matches his serve would go downhill since the Dunlop felt way too heavy

Racquet: Pure Storm GT
Tried:
RPM @ 57 Liked it but next day gave him shoulder/elbow soreness
RPM @ 55 Said it was ok but felt he lost control still had the soreness the next day
Blackcode @ 59 Loved it first day felt he had more pop and control on his shots slightly less spin on shots. two days later had alot of soreness and he felt he couldn't play with it at all (he went back to his other stick with RPM @57 and played muchbetter)

Other than suggesting changes in technique what strings should he try??
I suggested to him to move away from polys but he is addicted to the spin they generate.
so my ones to try for him in a full bed are:
Silverstring
Signum Hyperion
Black5edge
Any thoughts on what else to try? or what to hybrid?
my buddy is in his early 50's a 4.0 player with sound technique but not really a basher

thanks in advance

You can't generate any spin if you can't swing a racquet. I think it's time for him to lay off the poly.

mikeler
07-12-2011, 09:28 AM
You can't generate any spin if you can't swing a racquet. I think it's time for him to lay off the poly.

Ditto. Never tried RPM but it seems like most people describe it as a soft poly. Cut it out and put a soft multifilament (Mantis Comfort, Babolat Xcel or Maxim Touch) in there or natural gut until the pain goes away.

pvaudio
07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Agreed with the above. Time to whip out the multis.

Centryx
07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
would you guys reccomend any hybrids to my buddy?

MuscleWeave
07-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Gut mains / soft Co-poly crosses. Very plush and lots of spin.

Agent Orynge
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
would you guys reccomend any hybrids to my buddy?

People who hurt their arms can be out of the game for days, weeks, or months. How much does your friend want to gamble? Let the pain go away first, then you can take baby steps back towards poly.

Steve Huff
07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I was using a gut/poly hybrid. I had some control problems so I tightened them up, which hurt my arm. Last 2 stringings, I used a multi at a tighter tension. My gut/poly was at 59/54. My multi is at 62. I haven't had any soreness, and my power level is very controllable now. I'd try one of the more control oriented multi's (Head FXP, RIP Control, etc) in the low to mid 60's and see how he likes it.

pvaudio
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Give him a full bed of Mantis Comfort Synthetic and see how he likes it. It's soft, low powered and has truly gut-like feel.

Centryx
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
hey pv is there a big difference between the power synthetic and comfort synthetic?

pvaudio
07-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes, they're not even related in any form. MCS is a multifilament while MPS is an overpriced synthetic gut.

mikeler
07-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Give him a full bed of Mantis Comfort Synthetic and see how he likes it. It's soft, low powered and has truly gut-like feel.

This is the softest multi I've hit with. Just let your friend know that the durability is not great.

kiteboard
07-13-2011, 06:59 AM
bhbr is spin/soft.

joshj2112
07-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Isospeed is the softest string I have ever hit with. Its great I feel like it gave me just as much spin as the polys I use.

DrpShot!
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
I'd avoid polys. Nat Gut or PU infulsed multis until his arm improves, then try hybrids with poly in the crosses. Try Tourna Quasi Gut and/or NRG2 if Nat Gut is too expensive.

Up&comer
07-13-2011, 07:54 AM
bhbr is spin/soft.

Just....no. If rpm hurts his arm, bhbr is not going to do him any good.

mikeler
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
I'd avoid polys. Nat Gut or PU infulsed multis until his arm improves, then try hybrids with poly in the crosses. Try Tourna Quasi Gut and/or NRG2 if Nat Gut is too expensive.

These two multis are on the medium to stiffer end of the multifilaments I've tried.

Just....no. If rpm hurts his arm, bhbr is not going to do him any good.

Agreed.