PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap poly for full bed

FearOfTheDark
07-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Just trying out strings and was wondering what you guys reckon the best cheap poly is strung at a full bed?

Please recommend ones that have good spin and/or ones that are good for hitting flat.

Thank you :)

Tennis Is Magic
07-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Polylon is a good poly for flat hitters. I don't recommend shaped string to flatter hitters as the shaped strings almost make you try and hit with topspin. Polylon is a durable, low-powered string that's very hard to break (I'm up to about 12 hours now and they've notched some, but probably won't break for another 5-6 hours). Also, it plays virtually the same for it's entire life, which is more than can be said for most modern co-polys. Plus, in reels, it's less than $2 a set. You just can't beat that :D

FearOfTheDark
07-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Polylon is a good poly for flat hitters. I don't recommend shaped string to flatter hitters as the shaped strings almost make you try and hit with topspin. Polylon is a durable, low-powered string that's very hard to break (I'm up to about 12 hours now and they've notched some, but probably won't break for another 5-6 hours). Also, it plays virtually the same for it's entire life, which is more than can be said for most modern co-polys. Plus, in reels, it's less than $2 a set. You just can't beat that :D

Thanks doggg,

you mean this one? http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gosen_PolyQuest_16_660_String_Reel/descpageACGOSEN-POLYQ16R.html

Tennis Is Magic
07-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks doggg,

you mean this one? http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gosen_PolyQuest_16_660_String_Reel/descpageACGOSEN-POLYQ16R.html

No, http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gosen_Polylon_Ice_16_660_String_Reel/descpageACGOSEN-POLYICE16R.html

FearOfTheDark
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks man, appreciate it. Might give it a bash!

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 08:00 PM
If you are a flat hitter, idk why you're using poly in the first place honestly. If you want something that's 'higher quality' than Polylon (which is nice in its own right), Isospeed Baseline is a nice option as well (only a few more $ and it plays softer, not to mention it doesn't move at all).

BigT
07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
What have you used until now?

FearOfTheDark
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM
What have you used until now?

Luxilon Adrenaline 16

FedExpress 333
07-13-2011, 10:39 PM
why would you use polys? I thing nat or syn gut would be a better/cheaper option.

Bud
07-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Best inexpensive poly is Isospeed Baseline Spin (17g)

FearOfTheDark
07-14-2011, 02:29 AM
why would you use polys? I thing nat or syn gut would be a better/cheaper option.

Natural gut costs a bomb though :/ Synthetic gut ok possibly, I just don't wanna have to re-string 24/7 ;) haha.

Thanks Bud.

This might sound like a ridiculous question (LOL) HOWEVER, I have an un-strung ps85 here that I wanna take out for a bash but I don't wanna pay for Natural Gut.. Should I use Synthetic instead? OR REALLY just spend a lot on some natural gut?

Cheers guys

smirker
07-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Just trying out strings and was wondering what you guys reckon the best cheap poly is strung at a full bed?

Please recommend ones that have good spin and/or ones that are good for hitting flat.

Thank you :)

Polystar Energy or Turbo if you want enhance spin.

y12.pats
07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
technifibre black code

shake&bake
07-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Best inexpensive poly is Isospeed Baseline

Agreed, Baseline is amazing and only 40 bucks a reel

Carolina Racquet
07-15-2011, 06:47 AM

Baseline has been a fantastic find for me. Very comfortable and buttery for a poly. Gotta love the price too.

IF Isospeed chose to offer it in packets, I think you'll get more users because who wants to beta test a string by buying a reel even if its only $40. Isospeed... are you listening?

Bud
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Best inexpensive poly is Isospeed Baseline

Baseline has been a fantastic find for me. Very comfortable and buttery for a poly. Gotta love the price too.

IF Isospeed chose to offer it in packets, I think you'll get more users because who wants to beta test a string by buying a reel even if its only $40. Isospeed... are you listening?

Shhh.. don't tell anyone ;)

Backhanded Compliment
07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Volkl Cyclone 18 for spinnier players (but works for flat too).. best returning string Ive ever found and produces wicked angles on serves too.

Weiscannon Silverstring 1.20 (which is a little bit more expensive) for all courters who use both spin and hit flat and take the net.

tennisjon
07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Pro's Pro Blackout. Its great! Just like Technifibre Black Code. 2nd favorite choice is MSV Focus Hex.

Buddy
08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Pro's Pro Blackout. Its great! Just like Technifibre Black Code. 2nd favorite choice is MSV Focus Hex.

Blackout best at what tension in a full poly two piece stringing?

loosegroove
08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Bang for the buck, I'd go with a reel of Isospeed Baseline Spin 17L. I give a negatory to Polylon. The only thing that really has going for it is it's cheap.

BigT
08-17-2011, 05:53 AM
Blackout best at what tension in a full poly two piece stringing?

From my experience and feedback, under 50 lbs.

blackfrido
08-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Isospeed Baseline; how do you guys find it in terms of tension maintenance? thanks

Bud
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Isospeed Baseline; how do you guys find it in terms of tension maintenance? thanks

Excellent (Baseline spin 17g). Very soft and lasts quite a long time (at least 2x as long as a stiff poly).

- -

I just received a reel of Baseline Control (16g) and I noticed immediately when stringing, it's much less stretchy than the Spin. Based on this, I'm assuming it will play stiffer and die more quickly. So, at this point, I'd recommend Baseline Spin for comfort, durability and life expectancy. Perhaps Baseline Speed (16L) is a happy medium between the Control and the Spin.

Will report back after playtesting it for a few weeks.

S&B.. what gauge Baseline are you using?

goran_ace
08-17-2011, 11:01 AM

If you are a flat hitter, idk why you're using poly in the first place honestly.

Agree with Jonny S&V. I'd recommend going with thick gauge (15L) synthetic gut.

Polylon may not break as quicly as regaulr syn gut, but it'll go dead quickly.

Bud
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Excellent (Baseline spin 17g). Very soft and lasts quite a long time (at least 2x as long as a stiff poly).

- -

I just received a reel of Baseline Control (16g) and I noticed immediately when stringing, it's much less stretchy than the Spin. Based on this, I'm assuming it will play stiffer and die more quickly. So, at this point, I'd recommend Baseline Spin for comfort, durability and life expectancy. Perhaps Baseline Speed (16L) is a happy medium between the Control and the Spin.

Will report back after playtesting it for a few weeks.

I hit with the Baseline Control tonight for 3 hours in the crosses and NG mains. All I have to say is wow! This setup really bites into the ball. At the end of the night, the Babolat RG ball fuzz looked like those little troll toys :shock:

It's also very comfortable on the arm ;)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/35106358/aview/_CEg8_-Q_Wk___KGrHqMOKpoE0U8DDwSGBNSHKj_d8g___1.JPG

qriusgeorge
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
blackfrido, i think it holds up better than most. i use it as a main with a OGSM at 52 and plenty of everything.

do you still have those mgpm's for sale? I'm looking for another one or two if the price is right.

PBODY99
09-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Isospeed Baseline Speed gets my vote

fortun8son
09-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Natural gut costs a bomb though :/ Synthetic gut ok possibly, I just don't wanna have to re-string 24/7 ;) haha

Cheers guys

If you are a flat hitter, syngut will not break before poly goes dead, except on a very hard serve/return.
Poly gives the illusion of being more durable because it's hard to break, thus it gets left in waay too long, causing arm problems.
Many people would be better off with a string that tells you when to change!
How about a poly/multi hybrid like Baseline/Dunlop Comfort17?

As to that PS85... unless you want to shell out for natty, use NXT and you'll be happy. (don't worry about the 'ghosting', NXT does that)

hcb0804
09-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Genesis Black Magic

Manaldo
09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I am trying Isospeed baseline spin17.very comfortable and durable.
But what tension do you guys recommend?
Cheers!