Here are the strings I am in the process of testing:
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m588/fverdasco/IMG_1219.jpg?t=1310580241
MSV Focus Hex 17L
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17L
BHBR 17
Weiss Cannon Silverstring 17
Spikey Shark 17
Pro Line II 17

I'm curious to hear which one you think is the best.

Larrysümmers
07-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17L
BHBR 17

Ive never played with them, but i know a lot of people talk about them on the boards.

UWBTennis
07-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Yay, please do post the results of your findings.

Also, I think out of all of these the BHBR and the MSV will give you the most spin and the SPPP and the Kirschbaum Proline II will give you the most feel, so it depends on your game style.

CDestroyer
07-13-2011, 11:32 AM
BHBR all day bro.

fverdasco
07-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Glad to see there is some interest. I am a little worried that there isn't going to be one standout string for me because they are all so popular. For my sake I hope it is the cheapest one.

The first one that I am currently testing is Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17g (mains, 53) and sheep micro 17g (crosses, 56). I am more interested in hybrids right now. I previously had a full bed of Solinco tour bite and I didn't care for it. Too board like and not enough spin, bite, or ball pocketing. I am really impressed with the Pro Line II hybrid. Lots of feel, bite, good ball pocketing, effortless spin and more than enough power. Maybe too much power for me, but I am coming from an under powered setup with the Solinco. I could see myself sticking with this set-up, but we will have to see how the rest of the strings measure up. I am curious to see how a full bed of KPLII feels. I plan on experimenting with some full beds in my future tests. I will continue to post my results I get through them.

pvaudio
07-14-2011, 11:24 AM
That's going to be one hell of a tough playtest. You didn't pick a single bad string; they're all excellent at something:

Spin: Spiky Shark & MSV.....& Spiky Shark :D
Tension Stability: SPPP & Silverstring
Power: Pro-line II & MSV
Control: Silverstring & BHBR

Lefty5
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
It will be interesting to see if anything gives you better spin than the Big Hitter Rough. That is the benchmark at this point.

fortun8son
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Just use the same crosses and tension as a control.
They're all good choices.
Too bad you chose the thinner SPPP. It will skew the results a bit.

fverdasco
07-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I have some more results. I have spent a fair amount of time playing with the Pro Line II hybrid. I really regret not stringing it as a full bed. The hybrid was just too over powered. It was too springy and lot of my shots flying long. Possibly I could have upped the tension and it would have been a better fit, but I think a full bed would have been really great. To bad I don't have any more packs right now. I played a match on Saturday with the pro line hybrid set up. I won but I definitely suffered from the issues I mentioned above. Balls flying on me that normally don't, and lack of control that I expect. That being said the weather here in the DC area has been ridiculous. That day the temp got up to a record 102, with a heat index of 110. I didn't think I was going to make it during the first set, but once I got through it I got a second wind and was able to play pretty well in the second set to close it out. So that probably wasn't the best day to judge strings.

I did string up my next test, the big hitter blue rough. I had a chance to play with it this morning. I strung a full bed at 53 lbs. I was really impressed. Great control and plenty of spin. It cured my problem with ball flying on me. I was most impressed that there wasn't even an initial break in time to get use to the new strings. Immediately they felt just right. I noticed with the pro line that I wasn't playing as consistently as a normally should, but I didn't feel like I could blame that on the strings. It could be that I was having a good day this morning but I was playing much more consistently with the bhbr, making good solid shots and really building my confidence as I was playing. I have nothing negative to report about these strings. I do wish that they came in other colors, but that's not a big deal.

mikeler
07-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Keep in mind the extreme heat makes the ball very active.

fverdasco
07-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Keep in mind the extreme heat makes the ball very active.

Yes, but I had those same issues prior to the extreme heat.

topspin18
07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
looking forward to the results. i have been testing many of those same strings. i have tested...
~bhbr
~red codes
~black codes
~solinco revolution

Still need to test...
~volkl cyclone
~solinco tour bite
~sppp

Out of all the strings i have tested so far i get the best prformance out of bhbr. But i really like the feel of solinco revolution. Thoses are my top two so far and they both play differently.
BHBR- is ver powerful for a poly and has great spin but i am not a big fan of the soft feel. I like it but just almost to soft for me.
Solinco revolution- not as much power. spin may just be a tad less but not really a big deal. I like the solid and firmer feel for me.

I string all these at 60Lbs in my pure storm tour gt.

fverdasco
07-24-2011, 04:26 PM
looking forward to the results. i have been testing many of those same strings. i have tested...
~bhbr
~red codes
~black codes
~solinco revolution

Still need to test...
~volkl cyclone
~solinco tour bite
~sppp

Out of all the strings i have tested so far i get the best prformance out of bhbr. But i really like the feel of solinco revolution. Thoses are my top two so far and they both play differently.
BHBR- is ver powerful for a poly and has great spin but i am not a big fan of the soft feel. I like it but just almost to soft for me.
Solinco revolution- not as much power. spin may just be a tad less but not really a big deal. I like the solid and firmer feel for me.

I string all these at 60Lbs in my pure storm tour gt.

That's interesting to hear. I previously had a full bed of solinco tour bite and I can make the same comparison that you made between the bhbr and the solinco (even though its a different string I had a similar impression). I didn't care for the solinco however. It felt dead to me (too stiff) and I didn't get much ball pocketing so I couldn't generate the spin I would like. I really like the soft feel of the bhbr.

tennisjon
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I have only played with the MSV Focus Hex from that list, but its my favorite string when I play doubles. It is a half-way point in stiffness from Black Code and RPM. It holds tension better than RPM and gets about the same spin as Black Code (more than RPM).

TripleB
07-25-2011, 05:21 AM
You should also throw WeissCannon TurboTwist into that playtest as well. It's the best poly I've tried so far...and I've tried a lot.

I'm currently trying TurboTwist vs BHSR vs Tornado vs Silverstring

Hopefully you're stringing all of the racquets with the same cross string (if you're using a hybrid), in the exact same racquet (or racquets that are identical), and at the exact same tension...or your findings aren't going to be as valid as they could be.

Best of luck and have fun.

TripleB

fverdasco
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the input and suggestions. I agree that I should try to keep the variables constant. And that’s what I will do from now on. Based on my previous experience with polys I thought that a hybrid would suit my preference. However, I am realizing now that with these softer polys a full bed really works really well for me. So I will continue to string up full beds at 53 lbs in my head i.prestige mids. Lucky I have 4 frames so I can play around with different strings.