PDA

View Full Version : Strung strings too tight!

*Val*
07-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I got my racquet restrung recently, but didn't know a whole lot about it, but wanted a bit more control from before so was going to get it done at 61lb. My racquet is Dunlop M fil 300 (yes I still use these!). I realized that'd probably be too high, so settled on 59lb, but it still seems a bit tight. I got Hurricane Pro strings and as far as I am aware these are quite stiff strings as it is, and my racquet is already control oriented. Tension range on racquet is 55-65lb.

Hitting with it today was okay - best aspect is the backhand side in general (slice felt lovely, and I play 1h backhand so extra control is welcome), but forehand not so good. I'm thinking, should I keep playing with it to loosen it up? Or does it look like I might have to get it restrung again at something like 57lb or lower to get some power and feel back? How quickly do polyester strings lose tension? The strings didn't even come out of place once during play today!

I wanted to go for higher tension because I was knocking balls out too much before, and I figured if I strung it higher it'd lose a few lbs over time any way and so reach optimal tension (rather than becoming too loose) - because my previous strings seemed to get very loose quickly. Or have I misjudged? I'd hate to have to pay to get it restrung again now, plus I'd look like a tool!

Thanks

FedererBestTennis
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Don't worry. Pro Hurricane is notorious for tension loss, so keep playing with it and it will loosen up. I use it and it is a wonderful string when brand new.

*Val*
07-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Don't worry. Pro Hurricane is notorious for tension loss, so keep playing with it and it will loosen up. I use it and it is a wonderful string when brand new.

Ah phew. Thanks for your reply! That's what I was hoping for but today they seemed very stiff. Just felt like the racquet wasn't doing enough of the work for me.

But if slice is anything to go by, I haven't hit better backhand slices in my entire life. Like Fed slices. 8) I'll just have to run round my forehand and slice my way to victory.

So probs no need for restringing then?

MuscleWeave
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Did you switch to poly and increase tension at the same time? That would produce a very solid stringbed.

Donny0627
07-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I got my racquet restrung recently, but didn't know a whole lot about it, but wanted a bit more control from before so was going to get it done at 61lb. My racquet is Dunlop M fil 300 (yes I still use these!). I realized that'd probably be too high, so settled on 59lb, but it still seems a bit tight. I got Hurricane Pro strings and as far as I am aware these are quite stiff strings as it is, and my racquet is already control oriented. Tension range on racquet is 55-65lb.

Hitting with it today was okay - best aspect is the backhand side in general (slice felt lovely, and I play 1h backhand so extra control is welcome), but forehand not so good. I'm thinking, should I keep playing with it to loosen it up? Or does it look like I might have to get it restrung again at something like 57lb or lower to get some power and feel back? How quickly do polyester strings lose tension? The strings didn't even come out of place once during play today!

I wanted to go for higher tension because I was knocking balls out too much before, and I figured if I strung it higher it'd lose a few lbs over time any way and so reach optimal tension (rather than becoming too loose) - because my previous strings seemed to get very loose quickly. Or have I misjudged? I'd hate to have to pay to get it restrung again now, plus I'd look like a tool!

Thanks

I use pro hurricane, and I found it to drop roughly 1% of tension per hour of use. Sure this is not a constant drop, with sspikes here in there. But that gives you a general idea, so in about 4 hrs the stringbed should be around 57, again give or take a bit. BTW, I used a tourna stringmeter to track all the data...

Virtua Tennis
07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
if you want to drop tension really fast stick your racquet in a hot car no cover no thermo bag for like 2 hours and easy bake oven fresh it will loosen out big time.

Also there is a chance that this will weaken the frame too.

*Val*
07-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Did you switch to poly and increase tension at the same time? That would produce a very solid stringbed.

Basically. I think I had synth before at around 58lbs, which had probably lost a few pounds by the time I restrung.

*Val*
07-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I use pro hurricane, and I found it to drop roughly 1% of tension per hour of use. Sure this is not a constant drop, with sspikes here in there. But that gives you a general idea, so in about 4 hrs the stringbed should be around 57, again give or take a bit. BTW, I used a tourna stringmeter to track all the data...

Okay cool. So I'll probably just stick with these. But now I know for next time, I'll probably string at about 57lbs if I get poly again. Or maybe ask for mains 58lb and crosses 57lb, or something like that.

*Val*
07-14-2011, 07:26 AM
If I do end up getting it restrung though, should I drop the tension a few more lbs, 56 or even 55? I skimmed through the MFIL 300 thread and the consensus seemed to be to use lower tensions on this frame, especially with poly strings.

Or might I be better off with different strings altogether? I'll give the shop where I got it done a call later and see what they can do about my dilemma!

MuscleWeave
07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
If you're having trouble breaking in the Pro Hurricane, you can try puting the racquet on a carpet or towel and stepping on it like 20 times on each side. I put my wallet on the sweet spot and stepped on it to localize the pressure more.

*Val*
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
If you're having trouble breaking in the Pro Hurricane, you can try puting the racquet on a carpet or towel and stepping on it like 20 times on each side. I put my wallet on the sweet spot and stepped on it to localize the pressure more.

What, full body weight? Can that damage the frame?

Larrysümmers
07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I found after about 10 hours of hitting PH didnt lose that much tension(a little but nothing major), but it went from a lot of spin to almost none. Granted 90% of spin is from the swing, but i was not getting the amount that i was

MuscleWeave
07-14-2011, 10:04 AM
What, full body weight? Can that damage the frame?

Don't jump on it, just step on it gently. The slow body weight will approximate a fast collision between the racquet and the ball. And only as a last measure before cutting the strings out. It didn't hurt my frame. I just put the towel under the head only to make the racquet parallel to the floor. If you're concerned that it will damage your racquet, don't do it.

whomad15
07-14-2011, 10:05 AM
you can gently but firmly step on the middle of the stringbed and that can loosen the strings a bit also. Not recommended for fragile frames.

*Val*
07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Reckon I'm gonna get this piece of crap restrung after another hit. Would 56lb do it on a mfil 300 with full poly, or should I do mains 56 and crosses 55? (Range 55-65lbs).

MuscleWeave
07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Dropweights and Electronic machines (constant pull) should be set approx. 4 or 5 lbs. lower than Lockout machines. (To further confuse matters.) This is because constant pull continues to pull the string as it elongates, until the person clamps and releases the string from the tensioner. Lockouts "lock out" when the desired tension is found, and stops elongating the string at that point. Less elongation requires a higher reference tension - lock out.

Be sure the stringer knows which type of tension you're asking for. What type of machine was last used and what type of machine will be used will determine this.

ethebull
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Don't fret too much. It almost always takes a few tries to nail down the best tension when switching strings, especially when changing from nylon to poly. Try a significantly lower tension next time, like 52 or 54. The neat thing about poly is it provides great control at lower tension. If that seems too low, Great! At least you will have established low and high limits of what might work. By try #3, you'll be right where you like it best. The other advantage of a lower tension is the poly will last longer and have more consistent performance over that time.

*Val*
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Dropweights and Electronic machines (constant pull) should be set approx. 4 or 5 lbs. lower than Lockout machines. (To further confuse matters.) This is because constant pull continues to pull the string as it elongates, until the person clamps and releases the string from the tensioner. Lockouts "lock out" when the desired tension is found, and stops elongating the string at that point. Less elongation requires a higher reference tension - lock out.

Be sure the stringer knows which type of tension you're asking for. What type of machine was last used and what type of machine will be used will determine this.

Apparently they have two machines, a Babolat sensor and a Stringway EM500. Which category do these fall into, if you know? I'll make sure to ask.