PDA

View Full Version : Full polyester bad for arm??

y12.pats
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Is a full bed of polyester (specifically the technifibre black code 17) bad for the arm when it is strung at high tensions (60 or 61). I feel like some of my tennis elbow and tendonitis might be coming from these. Im still a junior and im pretty fit so I shouldnt be having these isssues just randomly. thanks

gplracer
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes it is bad for the arm. Keep in mind that poly goes dead fast. The pros restring after each match so it does not go dead. For you I bet you hit with the string long after it had already gone dead because the string does not break that fast. The only time I ever had elbow pains was when I played with the Aeropro. It might just be me but that was my experience.

y12.pats
07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
when it goes dead is it worse for the arm?

BreakPoint
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Full polyester bad for arm??

Is the Pope Catholic? ;-)

quest01
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
It depends on how strong your arm is. I string a full bed of poly in an APDGT at over 60 pounds with no arm problems.

Donny0627
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Is a full bed of polyester (specifically the technifibre black code 17) bad for the arm when it is strung at high tensions (60 or 61). I feel like some of my tennis elbow and tendonitis might be coming from these. Im still a junior and im pretty fit so I shouldnt be having these isssues just randomly. thanks

well certainly it could. full-poly @ any tension can be hard on the arm, let alone at such a high tension. Drop your tension to aroung 54, it will be much better on the arm and I think youll be surprised wit hthe results...

Donny0627
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
when it goes dead is it worse for the arm?

and yes, dead poly kills the arm( that is, more so than usual :) ). For best results, replace the strings every ten days or so, this coming from a junior player like you, using a 17g poly too. However my tension is much less extreme... After 8-10 days, the stringbed goes mushy, even thought it probably was only used for 8 hrs or so in tht time span, because I rotate through my rackets to keep the SBS similar.

BreakPoint
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
It depends on how strong your arm is. I string a full bed of poly in an APDGT at over 60 pounds with no arm problems.
Yes, you're right. If your arm is made of solid steel, then it should be OK to use full poly strung tight. :shock: ;-)

Tennis Is Magic
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM

If you're a junior, you probably won't have arm problems using full poly, I'm 19 and use a racquet that's just as stiff as yours and a first gen poly strung at 60, and I've not had one inkling of arm problems. It's the geezers around here that can't swing it 8) us young guys have arms of steel, though.

MambaT
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Pete Townshend - "What do you mean it's too loud??"

Muhammad Ali - "I can take the hits."

TIM - "us young guys have arms of steel"

Tennis Is Magic
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM

How else do you explain 80% of juniors using Babolats with full Alu Power and RPM in the 60s with no arm problems? :D Not one of the juniors at my club that has been playing long enough to care about their equipment would string their racquet in the 40s, they'd give you a funny look at the thought alone.

ElMagoElGato
07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
When I had an APDC, I strung it with full bed of poly at 60. One thing is that I had two dumpners on it. I had no problem on my arm this way.

kimbahpnam
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
only thing worse would be full kevlar

BobFL
07-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Polys are not designed to be strung that high. Go low and full poly will be just fine.

BigT
07-13-2011, 08:14 PM
How else do you explain 80% of juniors using Babolats with full Alu Power and RPM in the 60s with no arm problems? :D Not one of the juniors at my club that has been playing long enough to care about their equipment would string their racquet in the 40s, they'd give you a funny look at the thought alone.

Many of them have not been playing long enough to feel the side effects. All of a sudden they reach 18-19, and they can't hold up a racquet. I've seen it too many times.
Polys are not designed to be strung that high. Go low and full poly will be just fine.

Exactly....

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM

See below, speaking as a just-turned-20 year old stringing full poly at 58 lbs, I've seen the below happen before:

Many of them have not been playing long enough to feel the side effects. All of a sudden they reach 18-19, and they can't hold up a racquet. I've seen it too many times.

whomad15
07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Well.... from my experience of elbow pain, its not a gradual thing. You're playing and it's all good, and then 30minutes later you can't even make a fist because it hurts too much to clench your hand shut. Try taking a test when you can barely hold a pen/pencil. It's not a fun experience.

Spin-A-Lot
07-13-2011, 11:57 PM
As the old saying goes "Prevention is better than the cure"...in this case, why risk it?

Just because all the juniors are doing it, does that mean you have to as well??

Just because you are young now, doesn't mean you won't get old..and by then it might be too late :(

Bud
07-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Cut it out after 8 hours or so and you'll be fine.

danno123
07-14-2011, 05:13 AM

Pete Townsend first started having trouble with his ears after the infamous drum kit explosion on the Smothers Brothers. Keith Moon supposedly convinced the stagehands to put more gunpowder in than normal.
Start watching this clip at about 4:30 and look where he's standing when the explosion happens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utpjQFBuQQM

That said, why would anyone play poly at 60 pounds? It's just plain stupid. You don't gain anything by stringing that tight and you risk injuring yourself.

ElMagoElGato
07-14-2011, 05:37 AM
I've had a little pain around my elbow for a long time. I tried 40s and low 50s but the pain didn't go away. I even grew pain by air swing. So I decided the string tension was not the only cause for the pain. Having full poly at 60 gives me a lot less chance of over hitting.

quest01
07-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, you're right. If your arm is made of solid steel, then it should be OK to use full poly strung tight. :shock: ;-)

I guess that's why my tennis game is designed for the cyborgs.

y12.pats
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Well I cant afford to restring every 10 days and I play USTA tourneys every weekend or every other weekend. Im gunna switch to a hybrid.

y12.pats
07-14-2011, 09:13 AM
And thats probably why my arm got messed up. Ive been using the same poly for 7 months no restring

Tennis Is Magic
07-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Well I cant afford to restring every 10 days and I play USTA tourneys every weekend or every other weekend. Im gunna switch to a hybrid.

Buy a stringing machine, and you can :D You'd be amazed how quickly it pays for itself.

y12.pats
07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Buy a stringing machine, and you can :D You'd be amazed how quickly it pays for itself.

I will in a couple of years when it will really help. But right now im still 15. And need work on my shots. Easier to get it strung by my pro shop and id rather spend the money to buy a machine to actually buy new racquets and equipment

spillai
07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Definintely use a hybrid. Or you can try a softer poly like Signum Pro Poly Plasma.

Tennis Is Magic
07-14-2011, 09:45 AM
I will in a couple of years when it will really help. But right now im still 15. And need work on my shots. Easier to get it strung by my pro shop and id rather spend the money to buy a machine to actually buy new racquets and equipment

I seriously saved money from paying a stringer in 3 months, it's that smart an investment.

Boricua
07-14-2011, 09:47 AM
If you're a junior, you probably won't have arm problems using full poly, I'm 19 and use a racquet that's just as stiff as yours and a first gen poly strung at 60, and I've not had one inkling of arm problems. It's the geezers around here that can't swing it 8) us young guys have arms of steel, though.

I would go hybrid, with Excel or Mantis Comfort Synthetic for example. if its a stiff poly. Stringing copoly in the 40s works for many people also; depends on the racket, string and your playing style.

Boricua
07-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Exactly....

I agree with both comments.

jorel
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Full polyester bad for arm??

Is the Pope Catholic? ;-)
depends on which racquet the pope uses..

if he uses a pk5g for example...his arm might be ok however he might still be catholic

dingo
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM

I don't know if it's the arm or not. I've played with Gosen (for the most part) in a Volkl V-Engine 10 frame for the last 5 years, stringing it at 60# and have no issues. Prior to this I played with Price TT Warrior for a few years and developed wrist/elbow issues. I would be more inclined to think racket stiffness has more to do with arm discomfort than strings even at higher tension.

ethebull
07-14-2011, 11:15 AM
A stiff poly in 1.25 or greater will provide excellent control well below 50 pounds. If you are hitting long still, your strings are not to blame.

BreakPoint
07-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I've had a little pain around my elbow for a long time. I tried 40s and low 50s but the pain didn't go away. I even grew pain by air swing. So I decided the string tension was not the only cause for the pain. Having full poly at 60 gives me a lot less chance of over hitting.
But the type of string itself could be the cause. Have you tried to use a soft multi instead of your poly to see if it alleviates your elbow pain?

Fuji
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Holy man.

You've got a ton of problems here...

1) You're using poly in a full bed at 60lbs. Awful idea.

2) You've left it in FOR SEVEN MONTHS.

3) Poly isn't meant to last more then 12 hours tops. The only time I've seen people use it for a longer time is with Natural Gut in either mains or crosses to really soften it up after the string dies.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised it you're arm just decides to quit on you! ;)

Do you really need poly? I know it seems like a trivial question, but since you can't string basically weekly, what do you gain from using poly? You say control, but stringing that high you could probably use just Synthetic gut and gain the exact same amount of control. From the sounds of it, you're not a string breaker if poly lasted you seven months.

I'm not trying to pick on you here by any means, I'm just trying to make sure you can keep playing tennis for a long time! :)

Little story here. I had a friend who was a junior back in the U16's. The guy played a Pure Drive Roddick +, Full bed of Lux BB at 64lbs. He was really confident that he was playing well. Sure he was winning and hitting really big shots. (He broke his Lux Weekly.) Guess who's not playing tennis anymore though? Once he hit 16-17, he can't even hold a tennis racket anymore. He's been going through Tennis Elbow treatment for the past 8 months, just so he can do everyday life things again. He can barely write in school, which has become a huge issue.

Needless to say he probably won't ever play tennis again, which is a shame because he's a great guy and he was a good player too.

Just be careful with you're choices! It's you're body, but just be aware what you are doing to it! :)

-Fuji

Erman
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM

I have a junior 16 year old that strings his at 48. Uses Big Banger Original on Babolat APDC with no arm problems.

y12.pats
07-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Holy man.

You've got a ton of problems here...

1) You're using poly in a full bed at 60lbs. Awful idea.

2) You've left it in FOR SEVEN MONTHS.

3) Poly isn't meant to last more then 12 hours tops. The only time I've seen people use it for a longer time is with Natural Gut in either mains or crosses to really soften it up after the string dies.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised it you're arm just decides to quit on you! ;)

Do you really need poly? I know it seems like a trivial question, but since you can't string basically weekly, what do you gain from using poly? You say control, but stringing that high you could probably use just Synthetic gut and gain the exact same amount of control. From the sounds of it, you're not a string breaker if poly lasted you seven months.

I'm not trying to pick on you here by any means, I'm just trying to make sure you can keep playing tennis for a long time! :)

Little story here. I had a friend who was a junior back in the U16's. The guy played a Pure Drive Roddick +, Full bed of Lux BB at 64lbs. He was really confident that he was playing well. Sure he was winning and hitting really big shots. (He broke his Lux Weekly.) Guess who's not playing tennis anymore though? Once he hit 16-17, he can't even hold a tennis racket anymore. He's been going through Tennis Elbow treatment for the past 8 months, just so he can do everyday life things again. He can barely write in school, which has become a huge issue.

Needless to say he probably won't ever play tennis again, which is a shame because he's a great guy and he was a good player too.

Just be careful with you're choices! It's you're body, but just be aware what you are doing to it! :)

-Fuji

Thanks Fuji! I wasnt really educated about strings, i just got it strung with w/e my local pro shop guy told me to at the time. of course he didnt tell me to restring every week. Now will hybrids last longer?? as in hybrids with polys in the mains or crosses?

Kaz00
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think full poly is bad for the arm. I string my solincos up to about 58-62 depending on season and weather.

BreakPoint
07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I have a junior 16 year old that strings his at 48. Uses Big Banger Original on Babolat APDC with no arm problems.
Wait to see what happens when he's 18.

BreakPoint
07-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't think full poly is bad for the arm. I string my solincos up to about 58-62 depending on season and weather.
How old are you and how long have you been using full poly?

Also, what level do you play at, how often do you play, and do you use a two-handed backhand?

Kaz00
07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
How old are you and how long have you been using full poly?

Also, what level do you play at, how often do you play, and do you use a two-handed backhand?

I play at a 4.5-5.0 level and play 2 hrs a day 6 days a week. I am 17 yrs old and I've been using full poly for 4 years now. and yes I do use a two handed backhand but slice my backhand more than hitting two hands.

Jonny S&V
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM

I got my first stringer when I was 14. It payed off for itself in a month and a half. I was making profit from there on out.

Fuji
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks Fuji! I wasnt really educated about strings, i just got it strung with w/e my local pro shop guy told me to at the time. of course he didnt tell me to restring every week. Now will hybrids last longer?? as in hybrids with polys in the mains or crosses?

For sure! String education is something a lot of people overlook when getting seriously into tennis. :)

Hybrids will last approx the same amount of time, because poly does die regardless of set up. Of course if you do a hybrid with a REALLY soft multi or gut, it will probably last upwards of twice as long, at the most. Although depending on the set up, (such as gut mains and poly crosses), I've heard of some people keeping it in up to a month or so without too much harm.

-Fuji

Doubles
07-15-2011, 10:12 AM
For sure! String education is something a lot of people overlook when getting seriously into tennis. :)

Hybrids will last approx the same amount of time, because poly does die regardless of set up. Of course if you do a hybrid with a REALLY soft multi or gut, it will probably last upwards of twice as long, at the most. Although depending on the set up, (such as gut mains and poly crosses), I've heard of some people keeping it in up to a month or so without too much harm.

-Fuji

My B5E PSGM hybrid lasted an entire month, playing 8 hours a week, with no problems with control or arm pain, whatsoever...

BreakPoint
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I play at a 4.5-5.0 level and play 2 hrs a day 6 days a week. I am 17 yrs old and I've been using full poly for 4 years now. and yes I do use a two handed backhand but slice my backhand more than hitting two hands.
OK, I thought so. You're very young. Wait until you're 40 years old and your tendons become brittle and easy to tear and hard to heal. :(

Also, you are much, much less likely to get tennis elbow (outer part of elbow) with a two-handed backhand than with a one-handed backhand. Slicing is not stressful on the elbow. It's flat drives with one-handed backhands that does the damage.

Jonny S&V
07-15-2011, 10:43 AM

My guess is he'll be perfectly fine. Lux at 48 lbs isn't very extreme at all, even if it is strung up in a Babolat. As long as you have correct technique and aren't arming the ball, I don't see why someone couldn't play with full Lux or poly over 55 lbs at an older age.

BobFL
07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
My B5E PSGM hybrid lasted an entire month, playing 8 hours a week, with no problems with control or arm pain, whatsoever...

Wow, you played 32 hours/1 month with one string job! You are my idol! :)

Kaz00
07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
OK, I thought so. You're very young. Wait until you're 40 years old and your tendons become brittle and easy to tear and hard to heal. :(

Also, you are much, much less likely to get tennis elbow (outer part of elbow) with a two-handed backhand than with a one-handed backhand. Slicing is not stressful on the elbow. It's flat drives with one-handed backhands that does the damage.

I've tried a lot of polys but the Solinco Tour Bites I think are the best imho. The Babolat PHT and RPM's were really bad. I tore something in my shoulder using the RPM's. But with the Solincos my shoulder has been fine.

Doubles
07-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow, you played 32 hours/1 month with one string job! You are my idol! :)

I'm not actually sure how it happened. The PSGM started to fray after about three days, but it wouldn't break. I normally break poly in half that time. But I didn't notice much of a drop in the playability, so I'm pretty sure that this is my new string set up...

y12.pats
07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
does poly weaken just automatically like from sitting in my bag or just from playing? cuz in the winter I only play 3 times a week so it could last longer. Im gunna try out a really good multi first to get my arm back in shape. And then move to a hybrid anyone hav good suggestions for a full bed of multi??? One with good spin potential and would work well with APDGT

wickedfps
07-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Not necessarily bad for the arm if played the way it's supposed to be played IMO then again there's ALOT of factors to be considered.

mikeler
07-15-2011, 06:58 PM
does poly weaken just automatically like from sitting in my bag or just from playing? cuz in the winter I only play 3 times a week so it could last longer. Im gunna try out a really good multi first to get my arm back in shape. And then move to a hybrid anyone hav good suggestions for a full bed of multi??? One with good spin potential and would work well with APDGT

Head RIP Control.

Bud
07-15-2011, 09:14 PM

No, it wears out and dies when you play with it. Just keep track of the number of hours on your poly stringjob.

BobFL
07-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Correct. Once strung, Polys lose their characteristics regardless if you play or not. We can certainly talk about aging 'speed' here like 'playing vs sitting in the bag' but that is certainly string-specific. Some strings can tolerate a few days more of sitting in your bag whilst others cannot. What I would recommend you during winter time is to either go with hybrid or even full multi job. Polys play very poor when it's cold.

Tennis Is Magic
07-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Correct. Once strung, Polys lose their characteristics regardless if you play or not. We can certainly talk about aging 'speed' here like 'playing vs sitting in the bag' but that is certainly string-specific. Some strings can tolerate a few days more of sitting in your bag whilst others cannot. What I would recommend you during winter time is to either go with hybrid or even full multi job. Polys play very poor when it's cold.

IDK, I just started playing with a poly I strung up a week ago that I haven't even used, and it felt the same as the other strings I was using that were used a couple hours off the stringer. I've found poly strings aren't too sensitive to sitting in your bag.

c_hari_c
07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I have purchased a new BLX 95 16 x 18 racket recently and the guy at the proshop is suggesting a new hybrid combo of Luxilon ALU Rough mains and NXT Tour crosses both at low tensions like 52-53 lbs. Do you guys think it will be bad for the arm? I have never had any elbow problems before and in good shape. I have never tried poly before.

BreakPoint
07-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I have purchased a new BLX 95 16 x 18 racket recently and the guy at the proshop is suggesting a new hybrid combo of Luxilon ALU Rough mains and NXT Tour crosses both at low tensions like 52-53 lbs. Do you guys think it will be bad for the arm? I have never had any elbow problems before and in good shape. I have never tried poly before.
My opinion is I would avoid that set-up if you are concerned at all about hurting your arm.

Uvijek Argen
07-16-2011, 02:09 PM
IDK, I just started playing with a poly I strung up a week ago that I haven't even used, and it felt the same as the other strings I was using that were used a couple hours off the stringer. I've found poly strings aren't too sensitive to sitting in your bag.

Sure it will feel somehow fresh ,but they will go dead in about 4 hours or less of hitting, as different if you play with freshly strung that will last you 8 hours or so depend of how hard you hit(or hit with).
That's from my experience even now with my last reel of Mosquito Bite.

The only one that I have sit in the bag and still playable for a long time was Scorpion(My wife racquet). Pretty impress with that one. Not my cup of tea, but impress at last.

wickedfps
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
The only thing it'll be bad for is the arm u use to take the wallet out. Kidding aside that should be a decent set up if you don't break it every couple of games..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

netman
07-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes.

When you are young you typically don't notice, but it is slowly, but surely causing damage. Tennis elbow and shoulder problems are usually caused by long term, progressive damage. Rarely are they caused by a single trauma.

Stiff poly strings in stiff frames, hitting the ball very hard are generating a lot of shock. This 11-12 oz. combination is hanging off the end of your hitting arm (which makes your joints even more vulnerable since they are full extended). That shock has to be absorbed somewhere. Want to guess what serves as the shock absorber?

BTW, these problems existed with ultra flexy wood frames strung with super soft gut. Imagine what is happening every time you strike a ball hard with an ultra stiff poly string in a stiff graphite frame.

Erman
07-30-2011, 03:41 PM

What would you recommend then? He's a top spinning, string breaker that tried xcel, gut/alu hybrid, syn gut, NXT and broke strings in 30 minute or just didn't get enough spin or as much spin and power as the big banger original. Has always strung his strings in the low 50's and string the big bangers at 46-48 depending on temperature.

topspin18
08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Do hybrids set ups give less spin than full poly?

I am thinking of hybriding solinco tour bit with syn gut. but i dont want to lose any spin i get with full tour bite.

BreakPoint
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
What would you recommend then? He's a top spinning, string breaker that tried xcel, gut/alu hybrid, syn gut, NXT and broke strings in 30 minute or just didn't get enough spin or as much spin and power as the big banger original. Has always strung his strings in the low 50's and string the big bangers at 46-48 depending on temperature.
Get himself a stringing machine or change the way he plays tennis. :)

Or switch to a heavier racquet so that he can generate power and spin without such a huge swing. :)

fuzz nation
08-02-2011, 05:47 AM

I'm not being mean here, mah brother, but if you've got tennis elbow/tendonitis and you're still using poly, even in a hybrid, you're kidding yourself.

Any of the knuckleheads who are trying to tell you that "I tried this poly at that tension with no problems" are frankly borderline clueless. You're not them, but they're also not you.

You already have elbow problems, therefore you're more susceptible to elbow problems. Doesn't matter what works for anyone else - you've used the poly and struck out. DUMP IT like a bad habit or don't expect to get your health back in order. Hoping for the best won't help you here. You need to take some action and change your gear along with maybe your game and fitness regimen.

Get a machine and start stringing your own gear. The thing will pay for itself in no time. You'll spend a lot less (probably over 50%) on your own frames and also make extra change by stringing for your pals, too. Having a machine makes your own string durability a much lower priority in comparison with a selection that's easier on your arm.

adidasman
08-02-2011, 05:50 AM
If you're a junior, you probably won't have arm problems using full poly, I'm 19 and use a racquet that's just as stiff as yours and a first gen poly strung at 60, and I've not had one inkling of arm problems. It's the geezers around here that can't swing it 8) us young guys have arms of steel, though. I'm 51, and I use full poly at 65 pounds. No arm problems for this geezer, thank you very much.

Power Player
08-02-2011, 05:57 AM
I think TIM confuses geezers with guys who have been playing a lot of tennis since they were 7-8 years old. It's not age, it is usage.

There are all kinds of juniors down here in FL who are blowing their arms up on full poly right around 16-17 years old. They have been playing competitively a long time and their arms get touchy. I know this because I talked to their stringers about full poly jobs and they are all against high tension poly for young kids.

The general consensus is that unless you are at collegiate level or above, have daily access to stringers and have well developed strokes it is not worth the risk to go full poly at high tensions.

Magnetite
08-02-2011, 08:04 AM
That happened to me. I've always been a chronic string breaker. By 13 I was breaking about 1 string job every play session.

I had a coach who suggested that I get kevlar strings. He got them for me and strung them at my usual tension (61 lbs).

What an idiot .. within 2 weeks I tore my rotator cuff, and have had shoulder problems ever since.

I know poly isn't kevlar, but still, just get a junior player a stringer, and use a good multifilament string.

Using poly vs. multi isn't going to change much. A good player can play well with any string. They just need a bit of adjustment time.

weksa
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Using full poly at high tension is like smoking. Arm injury is creeping up on you a la cancer, and you never know when it's going to make its superstar debut. If you don't get it, you'll die of something else first...

Or perhaps another analogy would be eating unhealthy foods without exercising. Once a person finally hits the obesity mark, and the blood vessels have plaque here and there, it's pretty dangerous. That heart attack is just waiting to pounce.

In more straightforward terms, just because you're not feeling arm pains using [full poly at high tensions] doesn't mean that your arm isn't undergoing bad stress...

Sure, if you like to use high tension poly, go for it. It's your lifestyle choice. But don't tell people that it doesn't do harm just because you're not experiencing the negative consequences yet.

ATP100
08-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm 51, and I use full poly at 65 pounds. No arm problems for this geezer, thank you very much.

Do you play mostly doubles or singles?

topspin18
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I played with full poly for 2 years at 58-60 lbs range and recently my left hand is in pain when i hit with it now. I am a righty and hit a two hand backhand. not sure why my left hand has experinced pain and my right arm is fine. Do you lose any spin f i would start to hybrid?

BMC9670
08-02-2011, 09:35 AM
There are all kinds of juniors down here in FL who are blowing their arms up on full poly right around 16-17 years old.

I've seen this in teens here as well. I started to see a lot of RPM Blast after they started talking about Rafa using it on TV. Even my 9YO wanted "those black strings". I strung him up a nice soft black multi at a low tension and he feels just as cool.;)

mikeler
08-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I've seen this in teens here as well. I started to see a lot of RPM Blast after they started talking about Rafa using it on TV. Even my 9YO wanted "those black strings". I strung him up a nice soft black multi at a low tension and he feels just as cool.;)

Good for you!

yonexpurestorm
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
just get a stringer and buy a reel. i was breaking 2 strings a week and was paying 10 to 15 for labor and then 10 to 15 for a set. i bought my stringer and now i pay 4 dollars per set with my reel of polystar energy. now i can restring before tournaments or when i just dont like my strings. best tennis investment i ever made. the thing basically paid for itself in a month. and stringing is actually a lot easier than i thought it would be.

MayDay
08-02-2011, 07:04 PM
So to be safe, is the following a good general guideline for full poly string jobs to be safe?

1. Don't go above certain tension. (What would be the general range for most raquets? 60+?)
2. Restring after every x hours of play time per racket. (Is 8 hours a good number?)

Other than that, should there be any more concerns about blowing out the arm?

Bud
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
So to be safe, is the following a good general guideline for full poly string jobs to be safe?

1. Don't go above certain tension. (What would be the general range for most raquets? 60+?)
2. Restring after every x hours of play time per racket. (Is 8 hours a good number?)

Other than that, should there be any more concerns about blowing out the arm?

For stiff poly, stay under 50-55# and restring every 6-8 hours

For soft poly/copoly, stay under 60# and restring every 12-15 hours

Just pay attention to what's happening with your body. If your arm starts hurting then lower the tension. If that doesn't help, go to a hybrid with a soft multi/gut main and poly cross. Last resort, go away from poly to a multi, SG or gut.

Fuji
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Just pay attention to what's happening with your body. If your arm starts hurting then lower the tension. If that doesn't help, go to a hybrid with a soft multi/gut main and poly cross. Last resort, go away from poly to a multi, SG or gut.

I really agree with your times here. They are pretty much SPOT ON to what I would do if I were playing poly.

The only tension I would change is the co poly, 60lbs is still pretty high for it, for me at least. I recommend most people who I hit with frequently, (who have arm problems), to stick to around 55lbs or less with their co poly. 60 with a softer poly, is still pretty high, at least IMO! :)

The biggest thing is playing with dead poly! Even with my bad wrist and elbow, I can play with FRESH poly at around 40lbs with little repercussion, except I kill a set of poly in a day.... so it's really not that economical!

-Fuji

Bud
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I really agree with your times here. They are pretty much SPOT ON to what I would do if I were playing poly.

The only tension I would change is the co poly, 60lbs is still pretty high for it, for me at least. I recommend most people who I hit with frequently, (who have arm problems), to stick to around 55lbs or less with their co poly. 60 with a softer poly, is still pretty high, at least IMO! :)

The biggest thing is playing with dead poly! Even with my bad wrist and elbow, I can play with FRESH poly at around 40lbs with little repercussion, except I kill a set of poly in a day.... so it's really not that economical!

-Fuji

I've gotten so used to the Isospeed Baseline poly which is so comfortable and soft .. even at 60# (dropweight) :)

We're agreement on the ills of playing dead poly, however. That is what kills the arm/shoulder/wrist, in my experience.

Niel
08-02-2011, 09:51 PM

I'm curious to know how do you know when a poly is dead or time to replace?

I am new to tennis, only playing for 3 months.

Bud
08-03-2011, 12:53 AM

The strings stop snapping back into place and your shots start flying (loss of control).

Power Player
08-03-2011, 05:50 AM

Don't use poly. There is no need..total waste of money right now. I would strongly suggest using synthetic gut and just getting your technique dialed in. Synth gut is a great string and is all you need possibly your whole tennis career.

A lot of people who have been playing over 15 years still use synth gut in the crosses and poly in the mains.

Jerry Seinfeld
08-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Softer polys strung in the upper 30's to low 40's and stiffer polys strung in the low to mid 30's is a good range to shoot for.

Torres
08-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Using full poly at high tension is like smoking. Arm injury is creeping up on you a la cancer, and you never know when it's going to make its superstar debut. If you don't get it, you'll die of something else first...

That's just the worst analogy I've ever heard.

You might as well say that running on hard courts or indeed any running at all is like smoking - because at some point your knees will disintegrate and you'll need a cartilage transplant.

BMC9670
08-03-2011, 06:37 AM

You might as well say that running on hard courts or indeed any running at all is like smoking - because at some point your knees will disintegrate and you'll need a cartilage transplant.

I agree it's a bad analogy, but the idea is there. Just because you don't feel pain immediately, doesn't mean you're good to go. I think players need to smart about it and realize if 1. poly even gives them any advantage - does it fit their game, more frequent stringing, etc, and 2. think about the health of their arm now and down the road - any past issues, are they doing specific shoulder, elbow, wrist pre-hab to look after their arm, etc, etc.

Niel
08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
The strings stop snapping back into place and your shots start flying (loss of control).

Thanks Bud! I was forced to do a hybrid setup Multi mains / poly cross due to a shoulder pain I had after playing with a full poly @ 60 lbs., the local stringer told me that he installed the original strings and tension that came with my Prince TT Bandit, it clearly shows that it is not for me. Stayed away from a full poly and lowered my tension to 55, 2 lbs below the recomended range for my racquet, would that be bad? I kinda feel now that it's too soft for me, balls flying 1 to 2 feet from the service line.

Any suggestions on a good string setup and tension? Thanks in advance guys!

adidasman
08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Do you play mostly doubles or singles? Singles - I'm a 4.5 player, topspin on both wings, one-handed backhand. Not a huge hitter, but decent pace on both sides. I just like the feel of a stiff stringbed, and I tend to mow through strings with anything other than poly.

Power Player
08-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Adiman, I am the same..switched to a hybrid..it depends on your string pattern and the heaviness of shots coming back at you, but I really like a good syngut as a cross. It usually snaps right when the poly dies and you can keep the tensions higher, and your arm will be safer.

OGSM has no movement in the upper 50s as well.

adidasman
08-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Or perhaps another analogy would be eating unhealthy foods without exercising. Once a person finally hits the obesity mark, and the blood vessels have plaque here and there, it's pretty dangerous. That heart attack is just waiting to pounce.

In more straightforward terms, just because you're not feeling arm pains using [full poly at high tensions] doesn't mean that your arm isn't undergoing bad stress...

Sure, if you like to use high tension poly, go for it. It's your lifestyle choice. But don't tell people that it doesn't do harm just because you're not experiencing the negative consequences yet. I'm not telling people it doesn't do harm. I just know it hasn't hurt me, and I have had zero - ZERO - arm problems since switching about 10-11 years ago. I used to string at 68, but dropped it as a concession to my age and out of a desire to generate a bit more pace.

After your speech, though, I'll be expecting my arm to fall off any day now. :)

adidasman
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Adiman, I am the same..switched to a hybrid..it depends on your string pattern and the heaviness of shots coming back at you, but I really like a good syngut as a cross. It usually snaps right when the poly dies and you can keep the tensions higher, and your arm will be safer.

OGSM has no movement in the upper 50s as well. Yeah, I don't know. I keep toying with the idea of dropping tension, but I never like how it feels - all that mush. I've got the open 16x19 pattern, but I used to use a frame with a very tight string pattern (Kneissl Toms Machine) - same tension and poly strings, even a bit heavier racquet than what I now use, and no issues. I guess I may be playing with fire...I don't know.

Power Player
08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Well if you ever get pain just try gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 on the crosses at 60-62#s and just drop the poly to 57#s or so.

Fuji
08-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I've gotten so used to the Isospeed Baseline poly which is so comfortable and soft .. even at 60# (dropweight) :)

We're agreement on the ills of playing dead poly, however. That is what kills the arm/shoulder/wrist, in my experience.

That's so funny! I've been told to buy that string for a while now, and it seems to be getting good reviews! I wish it came in something other then reel form though!

Agreed, dead poly is so crazy! It's so detrimental to my arm health!

-Fuji

TennezSport
08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I read some really great responses here from Breakpoint, BobFL, Netman and others regarding poly string tensions. We do a lot of testing and analysis of string for the USRSA and a lot of manuf and the one thing that we see over and over again is the use of poly at high tensions.

Due to the stiffness index of poly string most manufs state to string 5-10% lower than normal (tension used with SG, Multi or NG string) and some advise not to string over 57lbs(26kg). This is primarily because of the low elasticity of poly string, but also because of the very low resiliency index. If you over stretch poly/co-poly string it dies immediately and will play dead like kevlar.

When strung at lower tensions the poly string will live longer and play better, but control is still good because of the stiffness index and low elasticity. Most Euro players have known this for some time, but the info got lost for the most part here in the States. There has been talk about stiff racquets and string but another thing that must be considered is string pattern as this can also exaggerate SBS (string bed stiffness). Other factors can hide this issue like stringing machines and stringers technique. A lockout stringing machine strings anywhere from 5-10lbs (2.3-4.5kg) lower than a drop weight or ELCP machine, so people who think they are string at 63lbs are not, really.

Finally, of all the testing we have done. no poly string has lived more than 20hrs of play, so we suggest that you track your hours of play with a string tester and see how much tension you are losing. When the tension loss bottoms out, change the string. Poly strings were designed for Pro or advanced players who break string a lot. If you are not in that category and still want to use co-poly string then it's best to hybrid. It may be expeisive to string often but its a lot cheaper than paying for chronic arm issues or surgery. Take care and have fun out there.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Sardines
08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Any suggestions on a good string setup and tension? Thanks in advance guys!
A hybrid would give you the benefits of low power spin potential of poly and the feel with natural gut or multi.

I think TIM confuses geezers with guys who have been playing a lot of tennis since they were 7-8 years old. It's not age, it is usage.

There are all kinds of juniors down here in FL who are blowing their arms up on full poly right around 16-17 years old. They have been playing competitively a long time and their arms get touchy. I know this because I talked to their stringers about full poly jobs and they are all against high tension poly for young kids.

The general consensus is that unless you are at collegiate level or above, have daily access to stringers and have well developed strokes it is not worth the risk to go full poly at high tensions.

But is that a symptom of the strings or the mechanics that's been engrained by the modern game? It's simple logical that the more brushing/torquing the forearm for spin, the more likelihood of developing elbow pain, especially for those who mishit often. As you say, strokes have to be developed as thus polys @ high tension may be too much for the bad mechanics most people display.

BreakPoint
08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Singles - I'm a 4.5 player, topspin on both wings, one-handed backhand. Not a huge hitter, but decent pace on both sides. I just like the feel of a stiff stringbed, and I tend to mow through strings with anything other than poly.
How many hours a week on average do you play year-round?

BreakPoint
08-03-2011, 11:06 AM
But is that a symptom of the strings or the mechanics that's been engrained by the modern game? It's simple logical that the more brushing/torquing the forearm for spin, the more likelihood of developing elbow pain, especially for those who mishit often. As you say, strokes have to be developed as thus polys @ high tension may be too much for the bad mechanics most people display.
I don't think it's the brushing/twisting of the forearm that causes the most elbow damage. It's hitting flat that causes the most damage to the elbow. This is because when you hit flat, you are absorbing the full impact of the momentum of the ball collision with your arm, and since the racquet essentially elongates your arm by about 2 feet when you swing flat, the ball impact generates a great deal of torque force to your elbow tendons (T = F x d). That is, the further away from the end of your arm that the force is applied (ball impact on stringbed), the more torque (force) that your elbow will experience. Brushing on the ball, either with underspin or topspin, averts the full force of the direct ball impact. Thus, you are less likely to cause elbow damage if you slice every one-handed backhand and brush-up and hit heavy topspin on every forehand than it you hit completely flat on both sides.

MambaT
08-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I love answers with formulas in them...

dParis
08-03-2011, 11:14 AM
:D Not one of the juniors at my club that has been playing long enough to care about their equipment would string their racquet in the 40s, they'd give you a funny look at the thought alone.
They must really go off on your cartoon unicorn fetish then. :p

Tennis Is Magic
08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
They must really go off on your cartoon unicorn fetish then. :p

Actually, most people I introduce My Little Pony to actually like it a lot. What can I say? Friendship Is Magic ;)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/157/586/tennisballhornSB.png?1312347343

You can't tell me Sweetie Belle with a tennis ball on her horn doesn't make you d'aww.

weksa
08-03-2011, 11:45 AM

I agree, it's a pretty bad analogy, poorly thought out, but it's not the worst.

Your rebuttal, although mocking, still holds some truth. As we age and become elderly (if we get to live that long), our bones and muscles don't hold up as well. It's important to take proper care in exercising and sports.

Regardless, I'm sure you understood what I was trying to get at, like BMC9670 said.

I apologize for the excessive analogy.

I agree it's a bad analogy, but the idea is there. Just because you don't feel pain immediately, doesn't mean you're good to go. I think players need to smart about it and realize if 1. poly even gives them any advantage - does it fit their game, more frequent stringing, etc, and 2. think about the health of their arm now and down the road - any past issues, are they doing specific shoulder, elbow, wrist pre-hab to look after their arm, etc, etc.

weksa
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't think it's the brushing/twisting of the forearm that causes the most elbow damage. It's hitting flat that causes the most damage to the elbow. This is because when you hit flat, you are absorbing the full impact of the momentum of the ball collision with your arm, and since the racquet essentially elongates your arm by about 2 feet when you swing flat, the ball impact generates a great deal of torque force to your elbow tendons (T = F x d). That is, the further away from the end of your arm that the force is applied (ball impact on stringbed), the more torque (force) that your elbow will experience. Brushing on the ball, either with underspin or topspin, averts the full force of the direct ball impact. Thus, you are less likely to cause to elbow damage if you slice every one-handed backhand and brush-up and hit heavy topspin on every forehand than it you hit completely flat on both sides.

I can sort of understand the idea you're proposing. I think of parkour practitioners that jump off from high heights and roll as they land (http://www.livestrong.com/article/477439-parkour-roll-tutorial/), as opposed to a direct landing on their feet without rolling. Rolling reduces the impact of the landing.

dParis
08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Actually, most people I introduce My Little Pony to actually like it a lot. What can I say? Friendship Is Magic ;)
That's none of my business.
You can't tell me Sweetie Belle with a tennis ball on her horn doesn't make you d'aww.
But neither would I look at you funny if you strung poly at 49 pounds. I'm all about live and let live (after I make fun of you).

Bud
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
That's so funny! I've been told to buy that string for a while now, and it seems to be getting good reviews! I wish it came in something other then reel form though!

Agreed, dead poly is so crazy! It's so detrimental to my arm health!

-Fuji

You won't regret it. It stretches quite a bit when stringing so that's the first clue that it's fairly soft. The tension maintenance is quite good as well.

Come on, spring for the reel :) If you don't like it, there will be many people who will take it off you hands for the right price.

I'm getting ready to order my fourth reel within the next couple of days as I'm getting low.

dancraig
08-03-2011, 11:11 PM

Affirmative :rolleyes:

martini1
08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
I had my K90 strung with a full bed of Black Code @ 55. I use a thick rubber band as a dampener. It wasn't that bad but the strings lost tension kind of quicker than any hyper set up I had before. I went back to hybrid after that.

maxpotapov
08-04-2011, 01:36 AM
You won't regret it. It stretches quite a bit when stringing so that's the first clue that it's fairly soft. The tension maintenance is quite good as well.

Come on, spring for the reel :) If you don't like it, there will be many people who will take it off you hands for the right price.

I'm getting ready to order my fourth reel within the next couple of days as I'm getting low.

I'm intrigued! Sounds like quite an improvement over my current setup for the same money. You talk about Baseline Control, Speed or Spin versions?

I would prefer the softer/more elastic version, so which one is it?

adidasman
08-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Well if you ever get pain just try gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 on the crosses at 60-62#s and just drop the poly to 57#s or so. I used to use the Gosen Jim Courier 16 gauge in my Toms Reach Machine back in '96 or whatever; is the Micro similarly stiff? I loved that stuff, but only in the right frame.

Power Player
08-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Yeah the micro is pretty stiff. I love it as a cross..I get no string movement. The feel is awesome as well..I like it more than full poly, which was slowly giving me tendinitis over a 2 year span.

If you like a crisper feel the OGSM provides that. Really adds a lot to a plush racquet.

adidasman
08-04-2011, 06:05 AM
How many hours a week on average do you play year-round? I used to play 3-4 times a week, probably close to 10 hours a week (and then tournaments on top of that in some weeks); I have two young kids now, so that's evaporated. Now it's maybe 3-4 hours per week. But I do play year round.

adidasman
08-04-2011, 06:05 AM
I read some really great responses here from Breakpoint, BobFL, Netman and others regarding poly string tensions. We do a lot of testing and analysis of string for the USRSA and a lot of manuf and the one thing that we see over and over again is the use of poly at high tensions.

Due to the stiffness index of poly string most manufs state to string 5-10% lower than normal (tension used with SG, Multi or NG string) and some advise not to string over 57lbs(26kg). This is primarily because of the low elasticity of poly string, but also because of the very low resiliency index. If you over stretch poly/co-poly string it dies immediately and will play dead like kevlar.

When strung at lower tensions the poly string will live longer and play better, but control is still good because of the stiffness index and low elasticity. Most Euro players have known this for some time, but the info got lost for the most part here in the States. There has been talk about stiff racquets and string but another thing that must be considered is string pattern as this can also exaggerate SBS (string bed stiffness). Other factors can hide this issue like stringing machines and stringers technique. A lockout stringing machine strings anywhere from 5-10lbs (2.3-4.5kg) lower than a drop weight or ELCP machine, so people who think they are string at 63lbs are not, really.

Finally, of all the testing we have done. no poly string has lived more than 20hrs of play, so we suggest that you track your hours of play with a string tester and see how much tension you are losing. When the tension loss bottoms out, change the string. Poly strings were designed for Pro or advanced players who break string a lot. If you are not in that category and still want to use co-poly string then it's best to hybrid. It may be expeisive to string often but its a lot cheaper than paying for chronic arm issues or surgery. Take care and have fun out there.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool: GREAT information. Thanks.

adidasman
08-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Yeah the micro is pretty stiff. I love it as a cross..I get no string movement. The feel is awesome as well..I like it more than full poly, which was slowly giving me tendinitis over a 2 year span.

If you like a crisper feel the OGSM provides that. Really adds a lot to a plush racquet. Thanks, PP. Much appreciated. For a guy who wears a GHOAT, you're OK. ;)

Power Player
08-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Haha..yeah I have gone hatless lately since the humidity turns them all into Roddick Showers after 35 minutes.

But I would try poly at 56 mains and OGSM at 60#s and see what you think. Bonus is that it is very inexpensive.

adidasman
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Haha..yeah I have gone hatless lately since the humidity turns them all into Roddick Showers after 35 minutes.

But I would try poly at 56 mains and OGSM at 60#s and see what you think. Bonus is that it is very inexpensive. Yeah, no doubt - it's always fun when the sweat is dripping off the bill of your cap. It's like playing in a Rainforest Cafe. I'll give that setup a try and let you know. Thanks again!

jjs891
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
I've been tempted to try the full bed of soft co-poly at low tension but it seems better to stay with hybrid, especially for an old man like myself.

nickarnold2000
08-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I've been tempted to try the full bed of soft co-poly at low tension but it seems better to stay with hybrid, especially for an old man like myself.
Smart choice not to risk your arm health. I get huge amounts of spin out of my hybrid(below). I'm mid 40s now and fully intend to be playing past 70. :)

mikeler
08-04-2011, 09:18 AM

I tried PolyStar Energy full bed once at 50 pounds and it was way too stiff for me. I now use Weiss Cannon B5E in the mains only with a soft multi cross. It works for me.

GlenK
08-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I played full bed Luxilon Supersense @ 60lbs for 3 years and had no arm or shoulder problems. I only switched because I love nat gut and they stopped making Supersense. So now I use SS as cross and will use it until my supply runs out..

Bud
08-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm intrigued! Sounds like quite an improvement over my current setup for the same money. You talk about Baseline Control, Speed or Spin versions?

I would prefer the softer/more elastic version, so which one is it?

I currently use Baseline Spin... but the next reel is going to be the thickest version (Control)... to see what the difference is.

For shitts and giggles, I'll also try a hybrid setup, using Spin in the mains and Control in the crosses... and vice versa.

jjs891
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I have been enjoying hybrid with nrg2 main/poly cross for a while. Some frames like Vantage seem to be very sensitive to what poly I put in in cross whereas in other frames it matters less.

My favorite in the past: nrg2/genesis hexonic

Currently I'm trying out Bab original APD+(27.5") heavily leaded at the hoop.
nrg2/ various polys--it doesn't seem to matter much as to what poly I put in, seems to play well regardless. Although I mostly stick with softer co-poly since APD is on the stiffer side.

maxpotapov
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I currently use Baseline Spin... but the next reel is going to be the thickest version (Control)... to see what the difference is.

For shitts and giggles, I'll also try a hybrid setup, using Spin in the mains and Control in the crosses... and vice versa.

Thanks, Bud!
I guess, thickness is the only difference... please keep us updated on Control

willshot
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
well, i just got TE again ..... going back to my hybrid. lol

Bud
08-04-2011, 09:15 PM
well, i just got TE again ..... going back to my hybrid. lol

From what setup?

Bud
08-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I just pulled out an older Pure Storm Tour that is strung with full Global Gut. Like typical gut string jobs (especially old ones), when you move a string it stays put. So, I sprayed the stringbed with silicone spray. The gut now snaps right back into place like poly :)

Will hit with it tomorrow. I'm also wondering how long it will be until I have to spray it again.