PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a hybrid set up

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
i'm in the market for a re-srting and I wanted to know some good hybrid set ups. I'm looking for a lot of bite and something that will last more than a couple games. I don't get arm pains [yet :o] so anything goes.

so can you tell me what to get in the mains/crosses and what tension

thanks guys

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
i'm in the market for a re-srting and I wanted to know some good hybrid set ups. I'm looking for a lot of bite and something that will last more than a couple games. I don't get arm pains [yet :o] so anything goes.

so can you tell me what to get in the mains/crosses and what tension

thanks guys

Umm, what's your past in strings? What did you like? Dislike?

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
lol I've only had 2 different kinds of strings. That's why i need some suggestions :(

My frist racquet I think was some really old gut, and my current string is BHSR. There was a really crappy hybird job on my frames when i got them, but it just ate at it self and broke within a couple mins of hitting

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
lol I've only had 2 different kinds of strings. That's why i need some suggestions :(

My frist racquet I think was some really old gut, and my current string is BHSR. There was a really crappy hybird job on my frames when i got them, but it just ate at it self and broke within a couple mins of hitting

What kind of player and what level do you consider yourself at?

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
hmm lets see I'm a base line/counter puncher and I hit with a lot of angle. I'd say i'm 3.0 on a bad off day, and a 4.0 on a good day

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:07 PM
hmm lets see I'm a base line/counter puncher and I hit with a lot of angle. I'd say i'm 3.0 on a bad off day, and a 4.0 on a good day

That's quite a range of levels, but it seems to me that just giving you any hybrid will work for you (especially since you're still learning, you don't need to be worrying about strings. Only the best should honestly be nitpicky about strings, I'm someone who needs to learn this, haha). If you want a cheap option, my suggestion is Isospeed Baseline Spin 17Lg with Gosen OG Micro 16g crosses.

Since you're stringing around 53 lbs, I would go with 52/55 lbs (since I like having 3 lbs difference for no reason whatsoever, just my little OCD tick...).

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:10 PM
That's quite a range of levels, but it seems to me that just giving you any hybrid will work for you (especially since you're still learning, you don't need to be worrying about strings. Only the best should honestly be nitpicky about strings, I'm someone who needs to learn this, haha). If you want a cheap option, my suggestion is Isospeed Baseline Spin 17Lg with Gosen OG Micro 16g crosses.

Since you're stringing around 53 lbs, I would go with 52/55 lbs (since I like having 3 lbs difference for no reason whatsoever, just my little OCD tick...).

I have pretty good accuracy with my groundies, but my serve and volly is what's keeping me from being really good (need coaching :()

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I have pretty good accuracy with my groundies, but my serve and volly is what's keeping me from being really good (need coaching :()

The two shots that I'm pretty decent at teaching. Come to northern Missouri. :-)

But anyways, strings aren't going to help your technique, just amplify your technique to a point. The hybrid I suggested is nothing spectacular, but it doesn't have any real downsides either.

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
The two shots that I'm pretty decent at teaching. Come to northern Missouri. :-)

But anyways, strings aren't going to help your technique, just amplify your technique to a point. The hybrid I suggested is nothing spectacular, but it doesn't have any real downsides either.

you wouldn't happen to know any spectacular hybirds would you? :o

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
you wouldn't happen to know any spectacular hybirds would you? :o

Well, depends on how much money you wanna spend and how much you wanna restring. Until you get your technique where you want it, it doesn't matter (to a degree) what strings you have, as long as they aren't detrimental to your game. :)

Do you have a stringer? What's your budget per string job?

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Well, depends on how much money you wanna spend and how much you wanna restring. Until you get your technique where you want it, it doesn't matter (to a degree) what strings you have, as long as they aren't detrimental to your game. :)

Do you have a stringer? What's your budget per string job?

lol I had a feeling the answer was going to be something of this nature. :oops:

I'll just investigate your first offer ;o

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:28 PM
oh hey riddle me this

If gut is so good why do people use hybird gut set ups?

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
lol I had a feeling the answer was going to be something of this nature. :oops:

I'll just investigate your first offer ;o

Haha, yeah, there are just too many options out there. Of the cheaper, yet still high performance strings out there, here are some options:

Co-poly: Signum Pro Poly Plasma, Topspin Cyberflash, Unique Big Hitter Blue, Volkl Cyclone, MSV Focus Hex, Kirschbaum Pro Line II, etc...

Synthetic Gut: Gosen OG Micro, Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex, and Forten Sweet.

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:34 PM
oh hey riddle me this

Best of both worlds. If you're gonna shell out money for gut, you can get Luxilon, which is the gold standard for spin and control, and hybrid it with gut, which is the gold standard for feel, power, and tension maintenance. They complete each other, if you will. :-)

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Best of both worlds. If you're gonna shell out money for gut, you can get Luxilon, which is the gold standard for spin and control, and hybrid it with gut, which is the gold standard for feel, power, and tension maintenance. They complete each other, if you will. :-)

how about some Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String, with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L String? at like idk 60 for the gut and 55 for alu?

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
how about some Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String, with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L String? at like idk 60 for the gut and 55 for alu?

Do you want the gut in the mains or crosses? Either way, when you're stringing with gut, IMO you should go with BB ALU rather than BB ALU Rough, less wear on the gut.

ssonosk
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Do you want the gut in the mains or crosses? Either way, when you're stringing with gut, IMO you should go with BB ALU rather than BB ALU Rough, less wear on the gut.

what's a good hybird with Lex that doesn't involve a gut. Not sure if i'm ready for gut yet :oops:

Jonny S&V
07-13-2011, 10:51 PM
what's a good hybird with Lex that doesn't involve a gut. Not sure if i'm ready for gut yet :oops:

I mean, to be honest, if you're going to go with Lux and you're willing to get gut as well, might as well go the whole 9 yards don't ya think?

But, to answer your question, I would use a soft synthetic gut like Forten Sweet of a multifilament like Wilson Sensation, Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament or Technifibre X-1 Biphase to soften up the string bed.

ssonosk
07-14-2011, 07:28 AM
what would be best for the crosses and mains?

TimothyO
07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
oh hey riddle me this

Because in a gut/poly hybrid the poly crosses allow the gut mains to snap back into place. With a smooth poly cross in a medium tension string bed (low 50s) you get extra spin, a tidy string bed that you don't need to straighten, and lots of feel and comfort.

With full gut you don't get all of those benfits.

ssonosk
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
so gut mains and poly crosses?

I'm going to try that fort sweet and wilson thing, and wilson champion

smith9876
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Could somebody please explain what sort of string pattern (16x18) or (16x19) would be good and which string should be good for the mains?

regards
smith

Up&comer
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Could somebody please explain what sort of string pattern (16x18) or (16x19) would be good and which string should be good for the mains?

regards
smith

*sigh*

What's you're playing style, level, current setup, likes and dislikes, etc.