PDA

View Full Version : Are racket head size measuremets accurate?

andrewski
07-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Hi,

I posted it originally on racket forum but no answer as yet, so I hope that TW staff could answer it.

It might sound a daft question, but after testing dozen rackets recently, I really wonder if there is an agreed standard on measuring racket head size?

When testing Prince Rebel, it played bigger then other 95" head size rackets I used before. I thought it was down to a ported design, but it might be something else.
If you compare for example my old Prince Diablo Tour, Prince Rebel EOX, Head Prestige Pro YouTek and Head Radical Pro Microgel, you can see that Diablo is definitely smallest i.e. looking like 93" head and the HRPMicrogel largest i.e. looking like 100" head.
They are both either significantly smaller (Diablo) or larger (Radical) then the other 2 rackets.
However if you compare Rebel with Prestige Pro, the diffrence in size is very small.
It is either because Rebel is really about 97.5" or Prestige Pro 95.5?

They can not be both correct about their stated head sizes.

The only logical explanation would be if different manufacturers used different measurements i.e. internal or external head size or something in between.

confused "andrewski"

Chace
07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
I believe Head's measurement includes the frame. So a 98 sq inch frame with head is closer to 95 sq inches and a 93 inch frame with head is closer to 89-90 sq inches.

TW Staff
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Great question! We don't really know the real answer ourselves. There are probably 2 main reasons why there is a disparity in headsizes between companies. One, like you said, some measure internal headsize, some measure external headsize. And two, the head shapes vary. Some are more circular, some are more elliptical, some more oval, etc. So getting the exact area is much more difficult.

Jason, TW

andrewski
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
I believe Head's measurement includes the frame. So a 98 sq inch frame with head is closer to 95 sq inches and a 93 inch frame with head is closer to 89-90 sq inches.

Hi,

Thanks for this insight.

That would explain the similar size od Prince Rebel (frame print says 95" head) and Head Prestige YT Pro.

I have not really measured it properly (not wanting to cut out demo strings to measure inside the frame :-) ) just put 2 rackets together head to head.

In a way it make me appreciate both frames more.

Then both play bigger and produce more spin then other supposedly 95" frames from Babolat, Dunlop and Wilson I tested in the past.

thanks and regards,

andrewski

andrewski
07-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Great question! We don't really know the real answer ourselves. There are probably 2 main reasons why there is a disparity in headsizes between companies. One, like you said, some measure internal headsize, some measure external headsize. And two, the head shapes vary. Some are more circular, some are more elliptical, some more oval, etc. So getting the exact area is much more difficult.

Jason, TW

Hi Jason,

I really appreciate your prompt reply.

I am not really that bothered about how we measure the frame size from mathematical perspective, but more about what manufacturers specs say.

Could you possibly ask Head for definite reply re this, please?

I guess, it is not a big deal, but I always tought that we measure racket head size as a inside surface area i.e. not including frame.

thanks and regards

Fuji
07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
There is a post somewhere on here from a guy who scanned all his frames from his printer and used some software to measure the head sizes. (Someone link Please?!)

It showed that Head frames are actually on average 3 inches smaller then advertised. The Prestige Mid is advertised at 93 inches, and it's actually 89.5. The MP is advertised as 98 and it's actually a 95. :) It even showed that the KPS88 is actually a 90.5 if I remember correctly.

It's around here somewhere, I'll try to dig it up for you!

-Fuji

weksa
07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Got your back, Fuji :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=295535

andrewski
07-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Hi,

I read the thread re measuring racket head sizes and it was very interesting, thanks for the link.

In a way it puts a different slant on what we think about different rackets and your skill levels.

For example I tested Head Prestige Mid YT and could not really play well with it. Now when I know it is really 90" I feel better about my game :-)

It would be great to try that racket with 16*18 pattern. 18*20 pattern on 90" head? Even Roger does not play with something like this.

I think knowing real head size changes your perception of the racket and the "technical" achievement of the designer.

Both Rebel Eox and HPProYT were more spinny and forgiving then their nominal head size.
I just compared my old Dunlop 200g Muscle Weave to HPMPYT and it is amazing how much easier it is to generate spin with the Head (although HPProYT is still better).

I have no sensible explanation for it because I do not feel that I am swinging Dunlop any slower then Head.

I was always sceptical about various claims about latest racket technologies, but I might have to change my view.

regards,

andrewski

Fuji
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks a ton Weska!

Yeah, Andrewski. Some brands put out frames as different sizes then they are, and it's pretty confusing. Such as Head being 3 inches smaller and such!

-Fuji

BobFL
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I would like to add that sometimes companies decide to add or subtract an inch or 2 for a marketing reasons. For example, a while ago I checked kps88 and it looked bigger than k90. Later, some smart guys confirmed it here on the Board :) Furthermore, there is no way that PD and dunlop 500 are both 100sq.in. PD is clearly bigger...

martini1
08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
There was a thread on the kps88, which is the same size as the K90.

rovision
08-03-2011, 07:42 AM
I've recently compared two Volkls, the older Quantum T10 marked 93sqin. with a more recent C10Pro marked 98sqin. by laying them on top of each other. There's no way the C10Pro has +5sqin. by looking at the string bed.

scotus
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Prince stringbeds are usually wider (along the cross strings) and shorter (along the main strings). So Prince's 95 looks just as wide as 100-sq-in frames from many other companies.

Volkls tend to be narrower along the cross strings and longer along the mains.

Head, as is well known, measures outside the frame.

Then, of course, you have to take into account the rounding up and approximation factors. In the old days, all Princes used to be either 90 or 110, even though they were 92, 93, 106, 107, etc.