PDA

View Full Version : Babolat APDGT with Babolat PHT 17 + VS 16 Hybrid Setup

LiquidSnake
07-14-2011, 05:23 AM
I just strung my Babolat Aero Pro Drive for the first time with Babolat PHT 17 + VS 16 Hybrid, VS Mains at 27kg and PHT Crosses at 26kg. I did a bit of reading on these forums and on the net in general and wanted to give this setup a go so as to create a benchmark reference for my future hybrid stringing jobs.

I dont know how to string so i went to a professional stringer. As i had not previously strung hybrid before, i told the stringer exactly what i wanted (as outlined in the previous paragraph) to which the stringer replied saying that the hybrid setup was "completely wrong for my racquet", so i said to him: "what do you suggest then?" he said "buy a new racquet". I said that i couldnt buy another racquet since i spent ~$200 for the Babolat APDGT. So I said to him, "If the strings are wrong for the racquet, what strings do you suggest?" - he replied saying that he didnt know. But he said that if i wanted the specs outlined previously he would do them with no issues.

So, i thought even though the stringer was being unhelpful suggestion wise and could not give me constructive criticism, I went with what i wanted, because i thought, if i let him chose then at the end of the day I would be mentally dissatisfied and it could affect my game.

After i got it strung the way i wanted and tested the racquet for ~3 hours the racquet is awesome and it has a great balance of power and control now all i need to do is further testing with other synthetics and tweak a few areas.

Since I was a first time hybrid stringer, thats why I had so many questions for the stringer.

Has anyone had any experiences like mine?

smirker
07-14-2011, 05:33 AM
I just strung my Babolat Aero Pro Drive for the first time with Babolat PHT 17 + VS 16 Hybrid, VS Mains at 27kg and PHT Crosses at 26kg. I did a bit of reading on these forums and on the net in general and wanted to give this setup a go so as to create a benchmark reference for my future hybrid stringing jobs.

I dont know how to string so i went to a professional stringer. As i had not previously strung hybrid before, i told the stringer exactly what i wanted (as outlined in the previous paragraph) to which the stringer replied saying that the hybrid setup was "completely wrong for my racquet", so i said to him: "what do you suggest then?" he said "buy a new racquet". I said that i couldnt buy another racquet since i spent ~$200 for the Babolat APDGT. So I said to him, "If the strings are wrong for the racquet, what strings do you suggest?" - he replied saying that he didnt know. But he said that if i wanted the specs outlined previously he would do them with no issues.

So, i thought even though the stringer was being unhelpful suggestion wise and could not give me constructive criticism, I went with what i wanted, because i thought, if i let him chose then at the end of the day I would be mentally dissatisfied and it could affect my game.

After i got it strung the way i wanted and tested the racquet for ~3 hours the racquet is awesome and it has a great balance of power and control now all i need to do is further testing with other synthetics and tweak a few areas.

Since I was a first time hybrid stringer, thats why I had so many questions for the stringer.

Has anyone had any experiences like mine?

Find a new stringer or better still invest in a stringing machine and save $. It's cheaper in the long run and hours of fun experimenting with different set-ups.

Nothing wrong with that hybrid in that racquet, he obviously had an agenda,(like selling you a new racquet perhaps!)

LiquidSnake
07-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Nothing wrong with that hybrid in that racquet, he obviously had an agenda,(like selling you a new racquet perhaps!)

See the thing is I live in Australia, so the place where i got the stringing done was called ********: http://www.********.com.au/

I bought my Babolat Aeropro Drive from tenniswarehouse Australia becase they were selling it $30 AUD cheaper than ********. So when i went to ******** to get my stringing done, the same guy looked at my racquet and was swinging it around, he gave me a look and said that he thought my racquet was a fake.

Why, well he compared the weight of my frame to the same unstrung frame he had on display and he said to me he felt that my frame was lighter than the other frame. Then he put my frame on the balance machine to check its specs, the machine failed to register a weight - he said he didnt know why the machine was doing that (LOL). Then he asked me where i bought the racquet from - i said tenniswarehouse Australia - he said he thought it was from **** so it might be fake but i said i didnt buy it from ****.

Funny thing is, i also have an old Wilson nCode Tour 95 racquet to which i got the same lecture as with my Babolat.

TheOneHander
07-14-2011, 05:56 AM
See the thing is I live in Australia, so the place where i got the stringing done was called ********: http://www.********.com.au/

I bought my Babolat Aeropro Drive from tenniswarehouse Australia becase they were selling it $30 AUD cheaper than ********. So when i went to ******** to get my stringing done, the same guy looked at my racquet and was swinging it around, he gave me a look and said that he thought my racquet was a fake.

Why, well he compared the weight of my frame to the same unstrung frame he had on display and he said to me he felt that my frame was lighter than the other frame. Then he put my frame on the balance machine to check its specs, the machine failed to register a weight - he said he didnt know why the machine was doing that (LOL). Then he asked me where i bought the racquet from - i said tenniswarehouse Australia - he said he thought it was from **** so it might be fake but i said i didnt buy it from ****.

Funny thing is, i also have an old Wilson nCode Tour 95 racquet to which i got the same lecture as with my Babolat.

How long have you been playing tennis? It sounds like he's trying to take advantage of you by flat out lying, plain and simple. I'd take your business elsewhere.

cnr1guy
07-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Find a new stringer or better still invest in a stringing machine and save $. It's cheaper in the long run and hours of fun experimenting with different set-ups.

+1 on investing in a stringer. I too play with APDGTs and find nothing wrong with playing with a hybrid. Unless the stringer was literally going by Babolats stringing instructions which call for it to be strung as a one piece vs a two piece (hybrid). He may take all instructions literally.

I have my own strining machine and love experimenting on different stringing combos/ tensions. My local strining charges $28 for a basic syn gut job! Insane, I can buy syn gut from TW for $3-5/ set!

Leafitachi
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
How long have you been playing tennis? It sounds like he's trying to take advantage of you by flat out lying, plain and simple. I'd take your business elsewhere.

I perfectly agree, there are dishonest people out there!
With the set up you wanted, I think it sounds perfect I don't see why he would say no (haha besides wanting to sell you something else)
Definitely recommend you to make the effort to take your business else well.

LiquidSnake
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Nearly finished uni, been playing for about 8 years now. I'd love to invest in a stringing machine, but for me tennis is more of a social thing where i play 2-3 (for 2-3 hours a day) times a week during semester breaks. I have a lot of other obligations and just dont have the time to tinker with string settings mechanically, for me its more like i feel whether the string works for me or not after quite a bit of reading.

And, i live in an area where the place i go to is the only "reputable" stringing service provider, so from now on i'm just gonna go in there and tell them what I want and not worry about what the dude says, its funny though, i've gone there 5 times in the past year and a half and always got a lecture on how they thought my racquets were fake LMAO

TheOneHander
07-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Nearly finished uni, been playing for about 8 years now. I'd love to invest in a stringing machine, but for me tennis is more of a social thing where i play 2-3 (for 2-3 hours a day) times a week during semester breaks. I have a lot of other obligations and just dont have the time to tinker with string settings mechanically, for me its more like i feel whether the string works for me or not after quite a bit of reading.

And, i live in an area where the place i go to is the only "reputable" stringing service provider, so from now on i'm just gonna go in there and tell them what I want and not worry about what the dude says, its funny though, i've gone there 5 times in the past year and a half and always got a lecture on how they thought my racquets were fake LMAO

Ouch. If that's the best you have, I'd hate to go to the other places. Well, tell 'em like it is, buddy, they're trying to make a quick buck off of you.

formula16
07-14-2011, 09:25 PM

what state do you live in? I might be able to recommend some good places

LiquidSnake
07-15-2011, 06:08 AM
what state do you live in? I might be able to recommend some good places

New South Wales - thanks mate!

LiquidSnake
07-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Which is better in terms of better tension retention:

MSV Co.-Focus 16L (1.27) OR MSV Hepta-Twist 17 (1.25) and which is better for hybridizing with VS Gut (1.30mm) mains?

LiquidSnake
07-16-2011, 03:26 AM
I live in Australia, i'm looking to try MSV Focus HEX 1.23 they dont stock the 1.23mm at TennisWarehouse USA, they do stock it at TennisWarehouse Europe, does anyone know whether they ship to Australia and whether the shipping is reasonable?