PDA

View Full Version : WHAT PLAYERS ARE RAGARDED AS SEASONAL

borisboris
02-24-2004, 09:59 AM
I've heard from J Michael's former coach that this is his best time of year for him - and it obviously shows. What other players seem to do well in differnet seasons - spring - summer- fall - winter etc. I know Becker would clean up in the fall = indoor carpet. Just curious.

@wright
02-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Roddick seemed to like last summer pretty well.

Ash Doyle
02-24-2004, 11:45 AM
I'd say all the Spanish players look forward to clay court season.

sseemiller
02-24-2004, 02:17 PM
With a few exceptions, Rafter pretty much went into gear after Roland Garros, and then out of gear after the U.S. Open. Players who like fast surfaces do tend to thrive during that period.

But I agree that many Spanish and South American players look forward to clay, although that's starting to change. Some of them are becoming more all-court players, which is nice to see.

Max G.
02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Sure, there's plenty of guys that like a certain season because of the surface. I guess the question is whether there's guys that do better in certain parts of they year regardless of surface - though it's kind of hard to look at it regardless of surface, your only option is comparing the Aus Open and the spring hardcourt season to the summer hardcourt season.

Phil
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
If you look at his results for the last few years, Agassi is as seasonal as they come-wins big early in the year, up to Roland Garos, and then just disappears until the US Open, and then again for the rest of the year.

borisboris
02-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Yeah Agassi does seem to take the summers off until the Open. I bet J Michael will post some good wins in the coming month but then fade until next yr.

chad shaver
02-25-2004, 07:49 AM
I may be just arguing semantics, which is not my intention, but here goes:

I don't know if I would say that Agassi is THAT much of a seasonal player even now. Although he is at his best on the hard courts, he had good results at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. Losing to Coria on clay is not a bad loss. As far as losing to Flipper in 5 on grass...it was a good match, and Flipper was just too tough that day.

Although he isn't as dominant on grass and clay, his results are still solid...QF at the French, and that amazing R16 match at Wimby.

Just a thought.

Fee
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
JMG isn't as much a seasonal player as he is a surface player. He likes hardcourts and he has more success playing in his own country. With the exception of last year (which was just horrible all around) he plays well during the summer hardcourts too (check his LA results, singles and doubles, for the past few years). If he stays healthy, I'd bet that he would put up decent results on grass this year too.

Fliparoni
09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, Nadal certainly can't be considered to be a seasonal player any longer

Andres
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Nalbandian is definitely seasonal. So is Mahut

doom
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
What happened to Gambill? Is he still playing?

Fee
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, Nadal certainly can't be considered to be a seasonal player any longer

Way to bump a 6 year old thread.

What happened to Gambill? Is he still playing?

Shin splints in 2005, followed by a shoulder injury in late 2005, a low back injury in 2007, and he's been fighting to get consistently fit since then.

He's playing in the Irvine Futures tomorrow, but he has a sore knee. He plays WTT every summer, but he can't stay healthy long enough to get anything going on the circuit to get points/ranking back up. I watched him play on Tuesday, and even on one leg he had flashes of brilliance with his serve and his groundstrokes, at 33 yrs old. It's a shame he can't stay healthy long enough to play a few tournaments and finish his career the way he wants to. Off court, he's in great shape because he does Crossfit now, but it seems like something always pops up on court at the worst times.

EnigmaticPragmatic
09-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Shin splints in 2005, followed by a shoulder injury in late 2005, a low back injury in 2007, and he's been fighting to get consistently fit since then.

He's playing in the Irvine Futures tomorrow, but he has a sore knee. He plays WTT every summer, but he can't stay healthy long enough to get anything going on the circuit to get points/ranking back up. I watched him play on Tuesday, and even on one leg he had flashes of brilliance with his serve and his groundstrokes, at 33 yrs old. It's a shame he can't stay healthy long enough to play a few tournaments and finish his career the way he wants to. Off court, he's in great shape because he does Crossfit now, but it seems like something always pops up on court at the worst times.

That really blows. He was one of the better players on Top Spin. I always wanted to see him play live just for the double-handed style. Very crappy news indeed