PDA

View Full Version : what are the tolerances for weight and swingweight in tennis rackets?

andrewski
07-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi,
Like my question re racket head size measurements this question came about because of my experience of testing dozen rackets in the last 5 weeks.

The only racket manufacturers who reveal their approach are Babolat and Pacific/Fisher as far as I know.

Pacific claims that their rackets have zero tolerance and Babolat says on their frames (at leat the one I tested) weight +/- 7 grams.

It is very honest for Babolat to disclose this because in my experience if the racket nominal weight is 320 grams unstrung, then the racket which is 314 grams is nearly a tweener but racket weighing 327 grams is quite heavy for then non semi-pro player (or old git like me at least).

I know it might be commercially difficult for TW to disclose the info for individual manufacturers, but could we get some general insight into what tolerances are for weight and swingweight in TW experience, please?

Foe example from the dozen rackets I tested (via UK shop) ,so no blame is attached to TW, I haste to add the real surprise was Volk PB10 MP 325 grams.

In play the swingweight felt like something around 345-355 weight whereas TW lists the stick as having circa 320 swingweight.
It was not leaded up (although I did not removed the but cup, just a grip to check).

Most other rackets felt as per spec, so Prince Rebel Eox felt heavier swinging then any of Head Prestiges (including Mid) coresponding to it stated 337 swingweight and other rackets felt as per spec, apart from Pacific X Force Pro which was swinging heavier then its 320 rating (felt like 330 really).

I have no real prove for it, apart of experience of testing about 60 rackets in the last 10 years, but it seams that changes in swingweight of about 5 can have bigger impact on racket playability then 10 gram difference in racket weight, so your reply might be relevant to quite a few people.

thanks and regards,

andrewski

andrewski
07-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Hi,

I know TW staff are busy, but I was hoping for a reply to this.

My understanding is that racket's statistics TW publishes on the website, (like weight swingweight, stiffness) are an average of measurements for particular racket model, so you know what variations are.

Maybe some other tennis shop pros/stringers can shed some light on this?

thanks and regards,

andrewski

TW Staff
07-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Sorry we missed this the first time around.

A typical spec tolerance could be around the following, but varies between brands:

Weight: +/- 10 grams
Balance: +/- 10 mm = 3 to 4 points
SW: +/- 10 points
Ra Stiffness: +/- 3

Chris, TW

andrewski
07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply.

This is more variance then I imagined and what I measured (just weight of course) in my local shop in UK (biggest variance between 5-6 rackets was 12 grams, so +/- 6 grams).

Racket with nominal weight of let say 330g and sw of 325 at one extreme would have 320g weight and 315 sw and at other end of the spectrum 340g weight and 335 swingweight.

This is like 2 completely different rackets. I could play with the first, but not with the second.

Witch such variations, manufacturers/retailers should provide matching/selection services (at the price of course).

regards,

andrewski

Ben Hadd
07-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry we missed this the first time around.

A typical spec tolerance could be around the following, but varies between brands:

Weight: +/- 10 grams
Balance: +/- 10 mm = 3 to 4 points
SW: +/- 10 points
Ra Stiffness: +/- 3

Chris, TW

Those are huge variances. What would you say brand wise, has the least variance in manufacturing? Each racquet being almost as similar as the next.

Ben Hadd
07-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Got some good answers from other posters, thx though!