PDA

View Full Version : How to test strings?

bms2011
07-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey guys, after my recent month long tennis elbow scare I figured that I would try to test out new strings. My old setup was Babolat RPM Blast in the mains and Tourna Quasi Gut in the crosses all strung at 55 pounds. For matches I use real gut in the crosses. I also swap between RPM and Revenge in the mains. I got 4 new sets of strings to demo and I wanted to know what to look for when finding the best string. I am very inexperienced at testing strings and I know to look for my strokes but, I don't know howI should do the test and what else to look for. Thank You.

pvaudio
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
No one can tell you the answer to that. If the string is good to you, then it's good. As long as you don't change the way you play based on the string, you're good to go. Simple as that. :)

dingo
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm not a pro, but here what I would do.

1. Use the same frame for evaluation or all 4.
2. String them all at 50 lb and see which one has the best feel/touch for you.
3. See which one gives you best control without you having to change anything in your game.
4. Generally, if you play with a softer string bed and can't keep the ball in court it because your ball control skills need work, not because your equipment sucks.
5. Some strings are harsher than others and you can feel that on ball contact.
6. After you pick whatever feels best, you can play with tension a bit if you still feel like it.
7. If at 50lb tension your still have wrist/elbow issues, it's most likely because your stroke technique is flawed. You know, if you just muscle the ball around it doesn't matter what equipment you use - you are bound to have arm issues.

bms2011
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I forgot to mention that I have to identical rackets that I can use so I can test two strings in one practice and compare them.

dingo
07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
I forgot to mention that I have to identical rackets that I can use so I can test two strings in one practice and compare them.

That would work too obviously. Even better actually. Good luck.