PDA

View Full Version : Does finding string tension like this make sense?

a0f6459
07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Due to the vast amounts of great information on this board, I have been wanting to experiment with different setups. Being a cheap synthetic gut user, I wanted to give gut mains/mono synthetic crosses a shot based on my research here. I am not unsatisfied with using cheap synthetic gut, but that may be because I don't know any better, having never used anything else.

So far I know my ideal tension is 65 lbs in my OS for mono synthetic gut.

I have an old school style swing and a baseliner that hits through the ball as opposed to whipping it to produce large amounts of topspin. This just means I let my natural swing produce the topsin instead of trying to create a looping type of shot that dips into the court. However, I will from time to time whip the ball for extra spin on a short ball to make sure I keep it in, so spin potential of the string is important.

A have a couple of questions for you guys:

1) If I try out a full bed of gut and find that I like it also at 65, does that mean when I hybrid it with synth crosses it should be 65/65? With the same reasoning, if I liked a full bed of gut at 67, should I hybrid gut/mono synth at 67/65?

2) Since the gut mains will account for much of the feel of the string bed, will I feel a noticeable dropoff in the quality of the string bed (feel, power, spin potential, etc.) by hybriding with the mono synth gut?

Also my reasoning for wanting to do this hybrid is for cost savings.

Thanks

fortun8son
07-14-2011, 10:41 PM
I think using Nat mains and cheap syngut crosses at 65/65 should work just fine.
Not quite as good as full bed, but definitely will save some $$

a0f6459
07-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks

Is it possible to describe in what way it is not as good? Less control, less spin, less feel, all of the above?

meowmix
07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Less feel, less power. The mains are responsible for most of the way a stringbed performs, but the crosses do affect it. So overall, it'll play like a natural gut stringbed, but you won't have quite the comfort the comes with full gut, nor will you have quite the touch that comes with full gut. Close, but not quite.