PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question if You've Used SPPP...

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
I've got a client who gave me SPPP 1.18; this is my first encounter with these strings, and he wants these strung as high as possible.

I've done some quick searches, and came upon SPPP breaking prematurely during stringing. Will going above 60 lbs break this string? I don't want to have to go and order another set for him if I do... I've strung Lux BB Ace 1.12 on a dropweight before with no problems, and I now have a Gamma Progression ST II.

Do I need to be cautious with this string? Any steps I can take to prevent premature breaking?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading in advance!

ethebull
07-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I've used SPPP 1.18 many times, but never higher than 58 on my drop weight stringer. No problems with early breakage for me on my 18x20 Ozone Pro Tours.

Now a days I use it as a cross string, no higher than 54, and more typically around 48-52, in combination with stouter mains.

BobFL
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
What kind of bozo would want poly strung at 60lbs?? Plus in such a thin gauge?

Yes you should be super careful and put some nice pillow under the weight just in case :)

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
What kind of bozo would want poly strung at 60lbs?? Plus in such a thin gauge?

Yes you should be super careful and put some nice pillow under the weight just in case :)

Hey, customer is always right, haha. :neutral: I personally prefer the low 50s-high 40s, but when I suggested he shouldn't string above 60 lbs, he told me he was going to go back home and check the site he got it from for the max possible tension.

Wilson N4 is the racquet, and I actually use a crank now. My question is whether anybody has had experience with it breaking during the stringing process? SPPP's quality seems questionable at best to me, after a quick search on the boards. If anybody has any tricks to stringing 17L SPPP, I would love to hear it!

pvaudio
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
I have never broken it once. I have the 1.23.

bad_call
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
haven't used SPPP in a few years. had 2 out of 3 stringjobs break prematurely so no more buying from this player...bad batch or something. keep your fingers crossed....

pvaudio
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I will say this: although I have not broken it, I do know of reputable stringers who have had it break on them.

BobFL
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey, customer is always right, haha. :neutral: I personally prefer the low 50s-high 40s, but when I suggested he shouldn't string above 60 lbs, he told me he was going to go back home and check the site he got it from for the max possible tension.

Wilson N4 is the racquet, and I actually use a crank now. My question is whether anybody has had experience with it breaking during the stringing process? SPPP's quality seems questionable at best to me, after a quick search on the boards. If anybody has any tricks to stringing 17L SPPP, I would love to hear it!

That's right but I just checked and that Wilson is 111sq.in. and 16x19! Wow, that is going to be one helluva open pattern with 1.18 :D

ElMagoElGato
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I've a full bed of SPPP 1.18 at 62 on my MGP mid. I don't string it myself, my stringer uses an electric machine, and I never heard of breaking it during job. I never broke it myself either, by the way.

Maybe it's good to warn your friend of breaking. I don't mind giving an extra set if I were him because I've got a roll and string is a lot cheaper than job.

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
That's right but I just checked and that Wilson is 111sq.in. and 16x19! Wow, that is going to be one helluva open pattern with 1.18 :D

Yeah... But bad news. :( Guy just called me, and when I told him that his racquet was an oversize (surprised he didn't know his own racquet), he said that people recommended him to string it between 60-70 lbs, and he told me that he wanted it done at 65.

Barring anybody has any tips stringing this open-patterned oversize with 17L SPPP at 65 lbs, this might be a very bad night for me. :cry:

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I've a full bed of SPPP 1.18 at 62 on my MGP mid. I don't string it myself, my stringer uses an electric machine, and I never heard of breaking it during job. I never broke it myself either, by the way.

Maybe it's good to warn your friend of breaking. I don't mind giving an extra set if I were him because I've got a roll and string is a lot cheaper than job.

Yeah, I did give him a warning, so I think that makes me feel a little better. :neutral:

Also, if you have it strung at 62, that's close to the reference tension he wants, so hearing this is a nice relief as well!

archman
07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
I string it in the mains at 58 on a gamma x-2 and have never had it break. I have read a lot that it breaks on mishits, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

fortun8son
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
That's a pretty radical request.
Check the grommets for splits, pull slowly and wear eye protection!

coloskier
07-15-2011, 01:01 PM
I strung it at 66# for awhile in a K90. No issues, except that it would lose it's touch fairly quickly.

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks to everybody above for their input! I managed to string the N4 without any problem @ 65 lbs, so maybe the past comments about premature breaking were from a bad batch of SPPP. No complaints here, and customer is happy.

Just thought I'd document this for somebody's future reference!

Thanks again!