PDA

View Full Version : Buying 2 reels to hybrid my racquets. Suggestions?

str33tspirit
07-14-2011, 10:10 PM
I've been using a reel of tornado 1.18mm and it's coming to an end. I loved the string but it was breaking a bit easily after I switched to a 16x18 pattern. I used to do full bed with my Kblade98 but now, I play with a Dunlop 4D 500 tour and it gets a bit stiff.

I tried Big Hitter Blue with Prince synthetic gut and I had a hard time controlling my shots. I tried Goosen Sheep but it started fraying quickly (but now I have doubts whether it was really a set of Goosen or One-BiPhase). I tend to always blame it on my main strings and I don't really know if the crosses play a big role in the way I hit or not. I don't feel a huge difference of playability between the different multis or synthetics but I topspin a lot and I'm very sensitive to tension drops.

I'm leaning now to getting a reel of Hyperion 1.24mm but I'm unsure about what to get for my crosses. Prince synthetic gut is only offered in 1.30mm and I was sublimed by Goosen. I want something that doesn't move too much (my racket is really open pattern and it gets annoying) and holds tension well. Obviously, comfort and control is also something I'm looking for to complement the Hyperion (or something else if someone has suggestions?).

Thanks.

str33tspirit
07-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I forgot to mention that I usually string my main at 57 and my crosses at 60 lbs.

str33tspirit
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I meant to say that I wasn't sublimed by Goosen. It felt ordinary to me.

mikeler
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Why buy reels versus packs until you are sure of what you like?

str33tspirit
07-15-2011, 12:15 PM
I will probably go for packs if you guys suggest something I haven't tried. For now, my top choices are hyperion and prince synth gut with duraflex

mikeler
07-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge worked much better for me than Hyperion as a main. I always use a soft string in the crosses, so Mantis Comfort 16, Babolat Xcel 16 and Dunlop Hexy Fiber 17 have all worked well for me.