PDA

View Full Version : Gut mains, What to cross ? (lux,cyberflash,silverstring,b5e)

formula16
07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I use a k90 and i am wondering which poly is the best to cross with gut mains.

I'm thinking either
luxilon bb alu rough
topspin cyberflash
weisscannon silverstring
weiscannon black5edge

Thanks

cueboyzn
07-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Silverstring holds tension well and better than Alu. Alu power lost its tension rather quick in this setup compared to SS. I use K90 with Tonic + gut mains and SS crosses.

TimothyO
07-15-2011, 05:29 AM
I've tested just about all of the polys above except for Black5dge. The best by far for performance, spin, and durability is MSV CoFocus 18.

My wife's technique is decidely old achool having played in high school in the 80s. She now uses a VS/MSV CoFocus hybrid. She started to achieve so much top spin with this hybrid and became so infatuated with it she changed her grip to SW to exploit it further. Last night her male opponent in a singles practice match (3.0/3.5) had trouble with her ground strokes. They were coming in super low, fast, and in a corkscrew pattern.

She doesn't use a WW forehand and full W grip or anything fancy like that. But when she switched from full multi to VS/CoFocus the results were starkly obvious.

Just as power racquets allow rec players to "hit hard" casually this hybrid allows one to achieve excellent top spin "casually".

dozu
07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
gut/poly is popular among pros, but they use a racket for only 9 games.

for amateurs, polys die too soon for a hybrid job that can last as long as a couple of months.... a syngut is prolly a better choice.

LiquidSnake
07-16-2011, 02:37 AM
TBH the best way to decide which poly works best for you is to try it out yourself.

I've got these polys in mind:

Solinco Tour Bite 16L (1.25mm/G16L)
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Fluoro 17
Signum Pro Tornado 17 (1.23)

I've read that even though luxilon bb alu rough creates more spin, Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Fluoro 17 holds tension better, is smoother and keeps the gut from degrading faster. Although for me, i use the Babolat APDGT and spin comes much more easily than other racquets.