PDA

View Full Version : Good strings for MG Radical MP?

RyKnocks
07-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey all!

I'm excited to announce that I won a slightly used MG Radical MP from "da bay!" Anyway, I was wondering what string and tension I should use to start off with.

As for my background, I'm a serious Table Tennis player who just found a passion for tennis, so I understand the technicalities of racquet sports, the impact of spin etc, but I'm still very new to tennis. I tend to use a semi-western grip, left handed, with an alright two-handed backhand but trying to develop a 1-handed backhand.

I'm an all-around player but maybe a little more defensive as I slice a lot with my backhand, and I like to emphasize a lot of spin in my game. I know I don't wanna start off with poly, and am looking more for a nat/syn gut or multi. So maybe more of an all-around string but with emphasis on spin if there is such a thing.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys!

flashfire276
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Congrats!
Well, since you're still new to your racquet, it's good to have a "testing" string to start out, and work from there.
I wold suggest to start with a nice standard synthetic gut. One of my favorites is Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g. It's one of the better synthetic strings in the market, and it's a great benchmark to learn what you want to improve on. Best of all, it's amazing in every way, even on the price tag.

Fuji
07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Flashfire has a good idea here. There are a few others I would recommend as well...

Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex 16 or 17. (I love the 17, it's quite comfy)

Head RIP Control 16 (Super durable, and very spin friendly)

Those are my 2 favorite strings to use overall, and they are pretty cheap too. RIP is only like 7 bucks, and Duraflex is 4.75. :)

-Fuji

RyKnocks
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys, any recommendation on a good tension to start at?

BobFL
07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Go with mid+2. Cannot go wrong with that :)

flashfire276
07-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Go with mid+2. Cannot go wrong with that :)

Yes! I think for the MG Rad, that's about 58 lbs?
It's good to go mid tension because you'll know if you want it tighter or looser in the end. Again, it's a great foundation to finding out what you want in a racquet and string setup.

flashfire276
07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex 16 or 17. (I love the 17, it's quite comfy)

Another great recommendation here too. It's a durable AND comfy synthetic, which is quite hard to come by these days.