PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Tough Gut

Boricua
07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Ive read tha Pacific Tough Gut is pretty stiff. So:

1) Is it softer than any copoly or copolys hybrids?

2) How does it compare to copolys or copoly hybrids in control and spin production?

3) Much more durable than regular gut, such as VS?

I am a baseliner who hits with topspin and drives the ball and use full copoly. Looking for a softer alternative and PTG, being gut, may be durable and should have good tension maintenance.

Doubles
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Ive read tha Pacific Tough Gut is pretty stiff. So:

1) Is it softer than any copoly or copolys hybrids?

2) How does it compare to copolys or copoly hybrids in control and spin production?

3) Much more durable than regular gut, such as VS?

I am a baseliner who hits with topspin and drives the ball and use full copoly. Looking for a softer alternative and PTG, being gut, may be durable and should have good tension maintenance.

1) Of course it's softer than copoly, it's natural gut...

2) It will be softer and more powerful, gut is very spin friendly, but copoly will generate more spin than a full bed of gut...

3) VS is pretty much the benchmark for Natural Gut, it's more durable, in my opinion...

Hope this helps...

JT_2eighty
07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
It plays 'stiff', but only compared to soft natural guts. It does not play stiffer than any co-poly, even the softest co-polys.

It does require some break-in, but once that happens, it is one of the best comfort strings money can buy. VS, on the other hand, has no break-in, and is a plush ride from start to finish. Once the Tough Gut breaks-in, however, it does hold tension and playability until it breaks.

The last time I used a full bed of VS alongside a full bed of Pacific, same tension, stringer, & racquet... the Pacific lasted 5 more hours.

If you are a baseliner looking for spin but more comfort, I'd say try ToughGut mains with a soft co-poly cross, and you will be in for a fun ride. In fact, for poly users looking to try gut, ToughGut is the best place to start because of its relative stiffness to other guts.

Boricua
07-17-2011, 08:22 AM
It plays 'stiff', but only compared to soft natural guts. It does not play stiffer than any co-poly, even the softest co-polys.

It does require some break-in, but once that happens, it is one of the best comfort strings money can buy. VS, on the other hand, has no break-in, and is a plush ride from start to finish. Once the Tough Gut breaks-in, however, it does hold tension and playability until it breaks.

The last time I used a full bed of VS alongside a full bed of Pacific, same tension, stringer, & racquet... the Pacific lasted 5 more hours.

If you are a baseliner looking for spin but more comfort, I'd say try ToughGut mains with a soft co-poly cross, and you will be in for a fun ride. In fact, for poly users looking to try gut, ToughGut is the best place to start because of its relative stiffness to other guts.

Does PTG hybrid with copoly have good control?

Does PTG as a cross soften a copoly main?

JT_2eighty
07-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Does PTG hybrid with copoly have good control?

Does PTG as a cross soften a copoly main?

-Absolutely

-Indeed

parasailing
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
It plays stiff and I didn't get additional durability from going with Pacific Tough Gut compared to VS gut. I just find that it is too crisp of a natural gut and would prefer the softer gut.

Don't Let It Bounce
07-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not disputing that it feels stiff; though I haven't played it, I've read that comment enough times that I believe it.

However, for anyone drawn to this thread by elbow issues, it is worth noting that, at 83 lb/in stiffness when strung at 62, Tough Gut 16L is the least stiff of all the strings the USRSA tested this year (http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/01/3_string_selector_2011.html).

parasailing
07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
It's one of the few times where I don't agree with the RSI stiffness index. Most of it is accurate but not when it comes to Tough Gut which to me feels way stiffer than VS gut by a lot.

scotus
07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm not disputing that it feels stiff; though I haven't played it, I've read that comment enough times that I believe it.

However, for anyone drawn to this thread by elbow issues, it is worth noting that, at 83 lb/in stiffness when strung at 62, Tough Gut 16L is the least stiff of all the strings the USRSA tested this year (http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/01/3_string_selector_2011.html).

USRSA does not re-test strings every year. One test per string and the result carries over year after year.

Chances are, the set of Tough Gut that the USRSA tested years ago happened to be from a very soft batch.

Usually I find VS softer than Tough Gut.

Don't Let It Bounce
07-19-2011, 01:42 AM
USRSA does not re-test strings every year. One test per string and the result carries over year after year.

Chances are, the set of Tough Gut that the USRSA tested years ago happened to be from a very soft batch. Good point. That would explain the near-universal perception that it isn't all that soft.

I wish I could find a batch like that.

Boricua
07-19-2011, 04:38 AM

How many playing hours did you get from Pacific ToughGut?

Maybe a combo of Pacific ToughGut mains with MSV Focus Hex crosses would have more control but a full bed will have more playability. Will the full bed be much more powerful than the hybrid combination?

c_hari_c
07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Just played a match with my racket strung with Pacific Tough gut 16. This is the best feeling natural gut I have ever played with. I recently tried the Babolat VS Gut Black and just hated it. It lasted me about 25 hours but there was no feeling at all in the initial 6 hours or so. But pacific feels great from the get go. I'm going to stick with Pacific if it gives me 20 hours.

tlm
07-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Just played a match with my racket strung with Pacific Tough gut 16. This is the best feeling natural gut I have ever played with. I recently tried the Babolat VS Gut Black and just hated it. It lasted me about 25 hours but there was no feeling at all in the initial 6 hours or so. But pacific feels great from the get go. I'm going to stick with Pacific if it gives me 20 hours.

I agree I think that tough gut is much better than vs or any nat. gut out there. Like you said it feels great and I found it to last longer than any other nat. gut also.

NLBwell
07-29-2012, 08:20 PM
The family of guts is about 1/2 as stiff as the family of polys - it is a completely different world.
Tough Gut mains with soft poly crosses is much more powerful in my experience than any poly setup and feels completly different.

McLovin
07-30-2012, 03:23 AM
I first used Tough Gut back when it was copper colored, when I was looking for something to use in my gut/poly hybrid mix when on clay. It played stiffer than Pacific Classic, but lasted forever.

My latest batch was natural colored, and played considerably softer than the copper colored version. However, durability wasn't nearly as good, but it was still better than Classic.

This could explain the claims of 'stiff', but USRSA's soft rating. We may be talking about two different versions of 'Tough Gut'.

JT_2eighty
07-30-2012, 05:56 AM
This is still my go-to main string. I'm continually experimenting with crosses, and Tough Gut 16L has been very reliable for me over the last couple years. To me it is the perfect balance of comfort, control, power, feel and durability for a gut; not too powerful, exceptionally crisp and controlled... fits a flexible frame fantastically.
:mrgreen:

c_hari_c
07-30-2012, 06:10 AM
The gut I received is almost gold color. Some have received copper, some natural. Why is this color difference? Does it matter what color the pacific tough gut is?

JT_2eighty
07-30-2012, 07:02 AM
I don't find the color to matter much. I've used both copper and natural, and in my frame they were very similar. I think the Gold might just be their "natural," as compared to say, Babolat VS or Tonic, Pacific's 'natural' is more of a golden hue.

PKfan1
07-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Maybe they use different breeds of cow?

Seems like quality control on the cows must be slipping just as much as the racquet mfgs these days.

But I guess they don't raise the cows just to make strings, it's just a wonderful thing they realized they could do with the leftovers.

tlm
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
The gut I received is almost gold color. Some have received copper, some natural. Why is this color difference? Does it matter what color the pacific tough gut is?

I used a lot of pacific gut years ago and the copper definitely played better than the other colors.

c_hari_c
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
what ever the color is, I liked the way pacific plays compared to VS gut and sticking with it. I also have the pacific prime gut and can't wait to try that once this breaks.

Korso
07-31-2012, 04:01 AM
How does Pacific tough gut stand up to 100+ temps with humidity in a gut/poly hybrid? How many hours of play is expected with a quality string job?