PDA

View Full Version : Best shoe for bad knees

rocky b
07-16-2011, 07:17 AM
I tried the propulse 3 killed my knees nike 3.3 to stiff I was thinking the asics resoulution any others

Kaz00
07-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Buy different insoles first get some dr scholls and see if those help.

Torres
07-16-2011, 08:12 AM
It's only partly about the shoe. There's no tennis shoe that I've ever seen that provides as much cushioning as a dedicated after market insole.

1. You need a shock aborbing insole. Sorbothane Full Strike would be my suggestion. Bear in mind that its slightly thicker that the unsual insoles, so you need a shoe that suitable for it, perhaps 0.5 sizes bigger.

2. You need to avoid shoes that tip you forward onto your toes ie higher in the heel and lower in the forefoot. Good for performance but they're tough on the knees.

Check your fitness/weight and make sure you're not overweight.

jwbarrientos
07-16-2011, 01:44 PM
It's only partly about the shoe. There's no tennis shoe that I've ever seen that provides as much cushioning as a dedicated after market insole.

1. You need a shock aborbing insole. Sorbothane Full Strike would be my suggestion. Bear in mind that its slightly thicker that the unsual insoles, so you need a shoe that suitable for it, perhaps 0.5 sizes bigger.

2. You need to avoid shoes that tip you forward onto your toes ie higher in the heel and lower in the forefoot. Good for performance but they're tough on the knees.

Check your fitness/weight and make sure you're not overweight.

Hey Torres, Could you elaborate a little more that reasoning?
It comes from facts/own/experience?

Because I was told to use more cushioned in the heel :-?

To OP, My doc told me:

1. To chose a light shoes, good cushioned heel, insoles cushioned, two socks.
2. To review my serve (avoid over torque)

The Big Kahuna
07-16-2011, 04:30 PM
The Propulse 3 is much better with stability insoles in them. I agree with those who recommend insoles here.

The more supportive a shoe is the easier it is usually on your back and knees. I think the key is support from my own experience. Most of the better rated stability shoes should serve you well:

Asics Resolution 3
Nike Court Ballistec 3.3
Nike Breathe 2K11
Adidas Barricade 6
Prince T-22

These are all good choices.

The worst - by far - will be the Nike Vapor 8 shoe (the heel is like a marshmellow and horrible on your back and knees).

netman
07-16-2011, 05:52 PM
I suffered with low back and knee pain for many years. Finally broke down and bought a pair of custom made orthotics. They were expensive ($200), but I am going on 10 years using them and have had no serious back or knee issues since I started using them. So I figure $20 a year is cheap money compared to the cost of a single doctor's visit or PT session.

Be sure and get the "hard" orthotics if you want them to last.

-k-

ATP100
07-17-2011, 04:06 AM
I would put a strap around knees, not a brace, a strap. It will work your calves more, but you will get used to it.