PDA

View Full Version : help with gaucho strings...

hebrewhammer
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I tried to string up a racket with poly mains and Gaucho spider silk crosses. I took every precaution possible and it snapped on the 4th cross from the top while stringing. Any suggestions?

dozu
07-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Gaucho = Garbage.

don't use them.

jdunnie014159
07-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I string cheap gut from time to time for myself. I especially like Global black as a main because it's low powered and comfortable at very high tension. IMO, all cheap guts are inconsistent in their gauge, or thickness/diameter. Today I strung Global mains at 62 and didn't snap them, even though they recommend stringing way lower than that. One part of the string was so thick that I could barely fit it through the grommet; it must have been 12 gauge in that 2-3 inch section. You waxed the mains, right? Also, if you didn't already, weave through 8-9 mains, fan the string to reduce friction per usual, and then weave through the rest of the mains. I learned this from TT user Drakulie, he has a youtube video of it, and it's especially helpful when you're weaving the last 4-5 crosses because the string bed is firmer by then and the coating on the cheap guts tend to wear off after being pulled through so many mains. If you do all this and you still snap a string then chalk it up to a bad batch. I've strung 30 or so half sets and it's snapped 3 times. You get the quality control you pay for. The 2 inch section that snaps is probably 22 guage. What can you do about that?

hebrewhammer
07-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Hopefully i'll have better luck in the future

Smasher08
07-17-2011, 05:12 AM
It might depend on the tension you were using.

I've read a lot about snappage like that, but it's the guys who string their bargain gut 45-50 lbs who never seem to report any problems.

tomp
07-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Here is the video you are referring to jdunnie014159.

http://tinyurl.com/6j9zy6e

I have strung a full bed of classic at 60lbs with no problems using this technique.

usta2050
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I tried to string up a racket with poly mains and Gaucho spider silk crosses. I took every precaution possible and it snapped on the 4th cross from the top while stringing. Any suggestions?

Cheap guts are better for mains. If you kinked the string, it will snap very easily.

hebrewhammer
07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
thanks guys

DavidNERODease
07-18-2011, 06:18 AM
I only use the Spider Silk for mains - to delicate to surive the stringing process as a cross - note I've never attempted to use it as a cross and I'm not going to :)