PDA

View Full Version : My Slazenger Pro Braided Review...

Squidward
07-16-2011, 01:19 PM
First, a little background.

I'm a 54 yr old 4.0/4.5 player. Coming back from a shoulder injury that kept me out for almost 15 years.

Have tried many sticks since my return and have settled on the Babolat Anniverysary Pure Drive as the weapon of choice.

Now to the Slaz...

First, their appearance is simple and clean. Nice lines and balance. Slightly heavier than the PD, but fairly easy to adjust to. A little more headlight than I expected or prefer, but that can be fixed with a little lead tape (not installed for this review).

My sticks came unstrung, (my choice). At first I put in Obdura Co-Poly at the lower tension range. Went to hit with a friend I usually hit with. He knows my game and can judge on what this racquet gives me.

Let me say that the stiffness of the racquet and the stiffness of the string were Too Much for my joints. After a short hitting session I knew this wasn't the right setup. Dissapointed, I put the Slaz in the bag and went back to the PD for the remaining session.

When I got home, I cut out the co-poly and installed Babolat Addiction at 54lbs.

Went to play again this morning for a doubles match with a couple of my buds. BINGO! Light Switch on! Night and Day performance!!Soft feel with Crisp Serve and Volly. Now This is what I was hoping for!!

Played 4 sets (rotating partners after each set).....Never Lost a set or service game.

Great response at the net with accuracy to rival any stick I've played. Not quite as much pop on the serves as I usually have, but enough to keep opponents on their toes. Placement of the serve was even par as my usual. Groundstrokes take a little more focus than normal, but the pace and depth were very acceptable when using proper technique. (not for a lazy swinger IMO). Spin seemed a little less, but controlable.

Overall, If you have a solid game these sticks perform well. But if you become a little lack-a-daz-icle and don't focus, these will let you know in short order.

For the $$$, these are a very capable racquet for a good player. (plus their appearance is kinda cool!. Had a couple players from the adjoining court make comments on how sharp they look)

Find the right set up and I'm sure you'll be happy!!

Cesare
07-16-2011, 04:40 PM
great review. i'm a little bit surprised that a relatively low powered multi as the addiction works well on this frame. despite the high stiffness ratio and the open string pattern, i've heard that the racquet is a little bit underpowered. is that true? thanks

Squidward
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
great review. i'm a little bit surprised that a relatively low powered multi as the addiction works well on this frame. despite the high stiffness ratio and the open string pattern, i've heard that the racquet is a little bit underpowered. is that true? thanks

Definately less power than my PD. I really wish this stick was about a 67/68 flex rating and had a little more weight towards the head, then it would be Much higher on my list.

But overall, if you're a accomplished player, then this racquet will deliver.

Cesare
07-16-2011, 05:09 PM
thank you. overall, a good racquet. maybe it could work better with a little customization, Lead tapes on the head( 3 and 9 o'clock) and silicone injection to the handle, this will give you a little more comfort and stability.

Squidward
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
thank you. overall, a good racquet. maybe it could work better with a little customization, Lead tapes on the head( 3 and 9 o'clock) and silicone injection to the handle, this will give you a little more comfort and stability.

More weight in the handle would not work for me. Too much there as it is...(IMO).

I like a racquet that is about 11.3-11.5 strung and about 3 or 4 pt's HL. I could get the balance there on this racquet, but the weight would me too much for my old joints.

Still, this is a very good doubles racquet for me. Quick around the net and enough power on the serves to keep everyone honest...

Cesare
07-16-2011, 05:21 PM
sounds good. i too love the stunning paint job, probably even better than the old Henman's stick, the black and gold one.

netman
07-16-2011, 06:16 PM
If I remember correctly. the Henman frames were basically just clones of the Wilson PS 6.1 Classics that Henman played prior to his switch to Slazenger.

I used them for a couple of years and found them to play almost identical to the PS 6.1. Based on the new one's specs, I would guess they are similar to the Henman.

Also agree they need a soft string to offset the frame stiffness. They are very stiff.

-k-

tnsanydy
07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
If I remember correctly. the Henman frames were basically just clones of the Wilson PS 6.1 Classics that Henman played prior to his switch to Slazenger.

I used them for a couple of years and found them to play almost identical to the PS 6.1. Based on the new one's specs, I would guess they are similar to the Henman.

Also agree they need a soft string to offset the frame stiffness. They are very stiff.

-k-

I myself was surprised about this when I searched on the history of this racket prior to purchasing 2 of them. No wonder it felt like I've played with it for a long time on my first try because I've been using my aging PSCs for a long while now. It's an exact replica of the PSC down to it's braided graphite/kevlar composition. The power comes from your own execution of shots so this is for players that prefer control and rest assured that you're always connected with your shots as if it's an extension of your arm! I'm saving to buy 2 more before this racket disappear again for good.:)

Murrayalmagrofan
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I just stumbled across this review...

I ordered two Slazenger Pro Braided 95's with Luxilon Adrenaline @ 55lbs. If these poly strings are too stiff for my liking, I'll have to try a softer multi string like the Addiction.

Interesting that the Slazengers were clones of the Wilson PS 6.1 Classics. I played with some of those PSC's as a junior, and it felt like an old friend when I demo'd this racquet. Hard to put into words, but this racquet truly plays like an extension of my arm.

MesQueUnClub
03-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Great review.

That being said, with your suspect shoulder and of all the frames you could buy, you had to get a frame stiffer than pretty much any other racquet today. I just don't get it.

Squidward
03-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Great review.

That being said, with your suspect shoulder and of all the frames you could buy, you had to get a frame stiffer than pretty much any other racquet today. I just don't get it.

To be honest, the price and appearance of the racquet were too much to pass up. I thought I could tinker with them and make them work. Not so tho...

I realize that in the long run I couldn't keep these as my main weapons. My shoulder kept telling me to move on. (TBH, the same with the PD's).

I've since revamped and went to the PK Redondo. My shoulder is happy and so am I...