PDA

View Full Version : M: Vs Team replacement C: suggestions?

niktub
07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Good evening tennis gurus,

i have been using Babolat Vs team 17 like many others on the mains strings and will have to find something else with the stiffer new version.
I have just tried some Tonic+ BT7 but this is not my cup of tea.
On the crosses, i am still trying to find something i like...The playability of gut on mains with poly or synthetic gut on crosses to hold the mains in place
(have used minus 2 lbs versus the mains most of the time)
Apparently the best replacement for VS 17 could be Pacific Prime 17 or Wilson 17 if not "updated"...
I have been happy with Mantis Power Poly as crosses(a bit stiff though)
I will try next WCSS17 and SPPP17.
I am also thinking about going back to full stringbed to keep it simple(NRG2 17,Quasi-gut 17).We used to do that before all this experimentations...

Any suggestions?
Soft or medium soft powerful stringbed, feel, tension maintenance, crosses that keep the mains in place...I would prefer to focus on my game and have a steady set-up...

GlenK
07-17-2011, 04:29 AM
I have not tried the BT7 yet and plan to try Wilson gut once the current VS supplies are exhausted. I also use Pacific Classic in a 3rd racquet and it is stiffer than VS. "I'm guessing" it may feel more like the new BT7 VS than the old version of VS.

Someone posted that Wilson gut is made by Babalot so I'm hoping they are more similar to VS Team. I have not tried Pacific Prime so that may be an option too. Their classic string, for me, is not similar to VS.

I will be interested to see the comments on this thread too.

niktub
07-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes the Wilson 17 is supposed to be the exact same string as the regular Vs Team 17.I just hope Babolat will keep the same process for Wilson.
Maybe the right moment to try a cheaper set-up much less weather sensitive...

JavierLW
07-17-2011, 07:48 AM
If you want to keep a softer to medium stringbed and you want to hold the gut mains in place, Id suggest Isospeed Professional Classic 17.

You should string it about 3 lbs tighter then the gut however, it looses about 6 lbs after stringing because it's a unusual material and construction.

Pacific Prime would be "closer" to the old Babolat VS, then any of the other Pacific strings. Wilson NG would probably be the best if they dont change it.

niktub
07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks i have been looking at this string with interrest after reading the NoBadModjo set-up thread.Stringing +10% or +6lbs seems recommended.
I will switch to the Wilson 17 and if it gets updated may try the Klip legend 17 if not too stiff(good value gut apparently).
Also, i would love to find a good hybrid(non-gut) for the humid rainy conditions we have in London these days...
X-one 18, Quasi gut 17, Isospeed pro classic 17L could be my mains?I have not used multis for years and have to test them...Any advice would be very welcome!

kiteboard
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Nrg2 crosses.