PDA

View Full Version : How Is This Possible

kenshireen
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
I bought a Kblade team from a dealer..
I had the length professionally reduced to 27 inches from the 27.3

I have access to a Bab RDC machine and checked the SW...it was 297 and the weight strung was 10 5/8 ounces...

I then bought another off ****...the seller stated that it was purchased from ******* Sports and was authentic... I also reduced the length to 27 inches.. Then put in on a RDC machine...strung weight was 10 1/4 but the SW was 308. (unstrung for 27.3 is supposed to be 10 1/4)
In otherwords the racket was was 3/8 ounce (actually 9 grams) lighter but had a higher SW of 9 and weighed strung what the racket is supposed to unstrung.

I then compared both and noticed that the hologram of the second was on the inside of the throat while the hologram of the first was on the outside of the throat.. Also, the second did not have a size sticker on the outside. Other than that it looked identical except that the gold paint on the "wilson" on the throat was a bit brighter on the second.

Two Questions:

How is the SW/static weight possible....(i.e. different directions)

Is this an authentic racket... (it has the red dot.. the "W" faces the right way and the inside of the handles look fine

Irony Zealot
07-16-2011, 10:07 PM
1. The distribution of the mass is most likely different between the two racquets. What's likely going on, due to manufacturing tolerances, is that your lighter racquet has more weight distributed to the head of the racquet than your heavier one or your heavier racquet has more weight distributed to the handle of the racquet than your lighter one. Both cases are the same, just different perspectives. Swingweight is largely determined by distribution of mass and somewhat by static weight.

2. Can't tell with no pics. With fakes, if something is off, then you can tell it's a fake.

I've never heard of holograms on the outside on a Wilson. Perhaps it's good to check other K Blade Team owners. Size stickers can be removed. It's a sticker.

I think Wilson sometimes changes the paint they use mid-model. One of my K90s has a more textured feel than my two other ones. I bought that one very recently from a reputable local tennis shop, while I bought the other two from a Talk Tennis user. All three are authentic, I have verified. Maybe that explains the gold paint?

Steve Huff
07-18-2011, 06:21 AM
You can call Wilson. They may, or may not, be responsive. I tried to help one of the guys I string for with a couple of Wilson n 6's once. The paint was different, etc. I sent pics and spoke with the customer service rep. Ultimately, I never got any response after being told he'd check into it, depsite me writing at least 3 emails to the guy I spoke to. Wilson is usually pretty good with customer service, so I was surprised by the "blow off".