PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help.

Dunlop300t
07-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone for the 3 years that i have played tennis is high school i have switched 3 times the racquets. I started with a head ti s5, then a babolat aeropro drive cortex plus, babolat aerpro drive gt, kfactor ksixone tour, ncode nsixone tour, wilson pro staff 85, blx blade tour. This is important because all these racquets had one thing common in them, a natural gut main. but now with the control level i am looking for and a reliability in the means of playability, i have been looking for strings. i love the feel of natural gut but as the weather changes in nj so does my game. during the winter the natural gut is amazing but in the spring and summer natural gut is my enemy, it works against my shots and just doesnt work. if some people know how natural gut feels in the winter can they recommend a string that i could use instead of that. now for the crosses can someone explain to me how does the string in that place affects the game.

ok my playing style. i have a various shots i am mostly a baseline top spin player with a strong forehand shot. my backhand can variate between slice, to topspin but its not very strong, but its not bad either. now i need help deciding what can i do to change my string setup which will stay constant, and cost effective.
Please help.

dozu
07-17-2011, 03:30 AM
can you not string it a couple of LBs tighter in the summer? I increase by 2LBs.

After the recent experiment, I am convinced that for most rec guys, gut IS the most cost effective... I can get 15 hours out of Tonic, but only 3 out of Nylon/Poly.

In terms of replacement, I'd say gut in the winter feels fairly close to a crisp syngut in the summer, e.g. OGSM

Polys are pretty good in the summer, but I just hate that they die after 3 hours.

I am never a fan of multis.... dollar for dollar, gut makes more sense.

Dunlop300t
07-17-2011, 07:21 AM
ok so if i keep the gut mains but string it tighter before the start of my season that should help ok got it but now can you explain to me how do the crosses affect a persons game? like what should i do with them because i really dont know how do they effect my game?

dozu
07-17-2011, 08:40 AM
raise the tension on the crosses by a couple of pounds should be OK.

Dunlop300t
07-17-2011, 12:35 PM
raise the tension on the crosses by a couple of pounds should be OK.

Ok understood if I do a gut main my regular tension is like 58 but raise that to 60 now what can I use in corsses and I still dont know how they make a difference.

kiteboard
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
nrg2 crosses.

ethebull
07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
what cross string do you use currently?

kiteboard
07-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Vs mains/nrg2 crosses, and bhbr mains, nrg2 crosses.

Dunlop300t
07-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Might be a noobish question whats bhbr?

Dunlop300t
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
And for my current crosses I use the either addiction or pro hurricane tour

Doubles
07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Might be a noobish question whats bhbr?Big Hitter Blue Rough...

shake&bake
07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
full bed poly, either bhbr, pro redcode, or if u want a cheap setup then isospeed baseline only $40 a reel

ethebull
07-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Those are two very different cross strings. The addiction is a lower powered multi and the pht is a mid/low powered poly. I'd suggest trying a stiffer low powered poly for the cross strings first. Red Code, Pro Supex Premiere Ace, WC Match Power to name a few. If that's still too potent, you could reverse the set up and go with poly mains and the gut in the crosses. The main strings dominate the feel and power.

Dunlop300t
08-13-2011, 07:13 PM
after trying so many things, from bhbr to dunlop black widow. I found out that if i am looking for that gut feel that i got during the summer that one crisp feel, i needed to do a beast in the crosses, and the rpm in the mains, i would usually have gut in the mains but replacing that with the rpm got that same crisp feel, plus that wilson pro feel dampner works with the bed. This is turning out to be great i got great touch and feel plus if i need some power i got that too, this prince string is really good in the crosses it balances the rpm out. to top it off i am hitting consistent shots which are now a 4.0 to 4.5 level with a huge topspin serve. :) All thanks to you guys, now only one thing i have been playing with the setup for about 2 weeks, and got around 18 hours on the strings and this is solid playing, the strings have maintained tension really well when should i expect the tension to loosen up?