PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still play with the prince graphite?

gplracer
07-17-2011, 09:28 AM
All this talk of traditional beam rackets and this one is still being sold. I remember playing with it back in the day.

DoctorBackhand
07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I play with this racket. Its one of the only players oversized left now.

bcart1991
07-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Yep. I have two OS and one mid. Lovely frames.

jjs891
07-18-2011, 06:54 AM
I have three os 4 stripe and three mids, one 4 stripe and two current Tour versiopns. I play with mids right now.

jmjmkim
07-18-2011, 08:08 AM
I have 2 mid 93 "Straight Shaft" and 1 one-stripe OS.
How are the ones sold now, the ones that have the marking "TOUR" compared to the 4 stripe?

My one-stripe OS was made during the days when two hand backhands were not that popular thus has a real short handle. If I put both hands on it, my left hand partially touches the shaft. Good thing that I am one hand backhand.

I like the POG mids more than my rebels. I think it is the 14 main strings that I like, as opposed to the 18 mains on the rebel. Also, the POG has a thinner beam than the Rebel.

I also have 2 EXO3 Graphite 100 and 2 EXO3 Graphite 93. I like the colors of the EXO series, the spiderman graphics and the cool colors.

efete
07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
I use the prince graphite "tour" version, midsize.

I have tried many newer frames, but nothing feels more confortable, its amazing. I even have 3 brand new frames for the future.. :p

the problem is that the strings dont last at all.

bcart1991
07-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes, the mid is definitely a comfy frame. You have to work for it, but the results are rewarding. The OS feel slightly stiffer. The 4-stripe tension range is much higher too (60-75 vs 50-60).

My OS are 4-stripes, my mid is the newer Tour version.

jjs891
07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
jmjmkim,

How do exo graphites play compare to POG mids?

GS
07-18-2011, 12:07 PM
The midsize head was too small for me, and the oversized was too big, but jeez, the Prince Graphite Longbody with its 100 sq in head is just perfect for me (especially after chopping it down to a 27.5"). So I ended up buying 5 of em before TW sold out their specially-ordered stock.

prostaff junkie
07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I've got a Straightshaft 93 strung with natural gut (full bed).

I'm currently using iPrestige Mids, but pull out the POG for special occasions.

Not much else feels as good as a POG.......:)

jmjmkim
07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
jmjmkim,

How do exo graphites play compare to POG mids?

The POG feels like it has a slight more flex. The EXO has the familiar solid feel that the graphite material gives. With the EXO, I prefer having the string hole inserts as opposed to the port. . .. which really defies the purpose of having these huge cut-outs in the first place.

Personally, I can do without the O-Ports and the EXO ports. The Original design of the graphites are good as is.

When using the 93's, you gotta play aggressively in order to really enjoy the benefits. I like switching to the OS version, when I feel comfortable with my opponent and want to play longer rallies from the baseline. Although the OS is a great racket for volleys, I can't believe how well I can volley with the 93. It feels so solid and goes so deep. The head balance is so perfect for moving it around the net.

jjs891
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks jmjmkim.

I agree that POG mid is a great stick. I just feel very comfortable hitting with it, more aggressive I am better it plays.

bcart1991
07-19-2011, 05:07 AM
When using the 93's, you gotta play aggressively in order to really enjoy the benefits.

I'm finding this as well. The more aggressive I am, the better the results.

puck1230
07-19-2011, 05:36 AM
The POG feels like it has a slight more flex. The EXO has the familiar solid feel that the graphite material gives. With the EXO, I prefer having the string hole inserts as opposed to the port. . .. which really defies the purpose of having these huge cut-outs in the first place.

Personally, I can do without the O-Ports and the EXO ports. The Original design of the graphites are good as is.

When using the 93's, you gotta play aggressively in order to really enjoy the benefits. I like switching to the OS version, when I feel comfortable with my opponent and want to play longer rallies from the baseline. Although the OS is a great racket for volleys, I can't believe how well I can volley with the 93. It feels so solid and goes so deep. The head balance is so perfect for moving it around the net.

I agree. The EXO3 version is flexier in the head and feels like there's a little more weight in the center of the frame. The POG (Tour) Mid feels whippier, stiffer, and more spin friendly, probably due to a combination of the string pattern, stiffness, and balance. I tried to switch to the EXO3, but since I hit relatively high in the stringbed, the flex made it a non-starter.

I switched to the POG Mid Tour from the Prince Precision Equipe 4 years ago. My two sticks are pretty beaten up but after demoing each season I haven't found a suitable replacement. They're solid and crisp, and while they aren't exactly plush, my shoulder is holding up ok.

I use Black Genesis @ 52 in the mains and Spiral Flex @54 in the crosses, but really I'd be ok with any hybrid job

ccelis
07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes I have 3 4 stripe Os's that I play with since I was 12, I am now 36 and still can find anything thing that feels as good and fits my game better. Plus these racquets are tanks so durable. The feel is just so different than any of the newer frames I have tried. POG FOREVER.....

Avadia
07-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I recently purchased a POG mid and an oversize from TW because I have never tried these frames and was curious. They are great racquets. The OS turns my first serve into a monster, and allows for some pretty serious groundstroking, although I haven't been able to control its power yet on volleys. The mid gives great all-court control and plenty of spin for pinpoint placement of groundstrokes, high kicking second serves, and great volleys. I need to demo with some different strings to maximize the attributes of each frame.

Tennisborg
07-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Yup, came from 1992 PSC 6.1 until I run out of the sticks. POG mid tour is the closest thing that I can find to meet my taste; and I added few grams of lead in the grip.
PSC6.1 has more power plow through, but I can swing faster with POG mid. Ohhh yea, it has wicked monster spins, curvy slices etc. The feel and the feedback is awesome, solid classic. Put Fed's strings set up, you'll be amazed. :)

jmjmkim
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I really like the 14 main strings . . . . so much spin on this racket. Everything seem to go in.

Shangri La
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I have 2 POG OS that I enjoy hitting with every now and then. Never played with the mid but heard plenty of its spin potential and its not-so-much string longevity. Just curious how the mid compares to the OS in these 2 areas?

TheMagicianOfPrecision
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I have one Prince Graphite mid that I have been trying to get rid of for some time :) I dont like them at all...

El Diablo
07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd still be using it if I were 20 years younger, just too much work to generate pop in today's game at my age. Incomparable stability and feel, an oversize that volleys as well as anything out there.

EC230
07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I too have been using the POG Mids consistently for at least the past 20 years of playing. Here and there I've tried to play with other racquets but nothing feels as comfortable in terms of control, power, and spin as the Mids. Went through several iterations including the one-stripe, four-stripes, and now the Tour (which does feel stiffer than its predecessors). For me, I have gone through a multitude of string setups and find that the mid/upper-50s to be the perfect tension. As of now, I've been stringing them up with full beds of Solinco poly due to the durability factor but find that it responds well to hybrids (Syn/Gut in Mains and Poly in Crosses).

Mike213
07-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I too have been using the POG Mids consistently for at least the past 20 years of playing. Here and there I've tried to play with other racquets but nothing feels as comfortable in terms of control, power, and spin as the Mids. Went through several iterations including the one-stripe, four-stripes, and now the Tour (which does feel stiffer than its predecessors). For me, I have gone through a multitude of string setups and find that the mid/upper-50s to be the perfect tension. As of now, I've been stringing them up with full beds of Solinco poly due to the durability factor but find that it responds well to hybrids (Syn/Gut in Mains and Poly in Crosses).

Syn/gut in mains and poly in crosses?? that increases string life?

I too fell in love with POG mids (4 stripes, 4 1/4) and need more in my bag please email me if you want to get rid of some...

I was actually thinking kevlar/poly...dont mind how it might feel but just want extra setup life!

stevewcosta
07-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, the mid is definitely a comfy frame. You have to work for it, but the results are rewarding. The OS feel slightly stiffer. The 4-stripe tension range is much higher too (60-75 vs 50-60).

My OS are 4-stripes, my mid is the newer Tour version.

Really? I find the mid very stiff/harsh and the OS forgiving.

PBODY99
07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
I have 2 POG OS that I enjoy hitting with every now and then. Never played with the mid but heard plenty of its spin potential and its not-so-much string longevity. Just curious how the mid compares to the OS in these 2 areas?
Spin, increased as the string life went south with the 14 main 90's. Quick to string,fortunately.

jmjmkim
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, strings break ridiculously fast on this racket. I now use full Hex Poly (17g) (Goldenset) . . . this is absolutely fantastic. My next favorite rackets are the EXO Graphite 93 with full poly, followed by the EXO Graphite 100. Lastly, the Rebel. After liking the 14 mains on the POG, the 18 mains on the Rebel feels like it lacks the spin and POP.

Live Wire VS
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
I still play my Graphite Comp 90 from time to time, which is a flexible version of the POG. Honestly with the flex of the EXO3 93, it had became my Graphite Comp's rightful replacement.

Shangri La
07-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Spin, increased as the string life went south with the 14 main 90's. Quick to string,fortunately.

So does the OS break string as fast as the mid? :)

GorillaPeanuts
07-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Got my Hands on 2 POG2 Mid+'s my god their amazing might switch to these over the KPS.

jmjmkim
07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
So does the OS break string as fast as the mid? :)

The OS string durability is like any other OS rackets. It is a great racket, but has different characteristics. It does have a trampoline effect, so their recommend tension of 70-80 is reasonable. My Gen 1 does not seem to have a symmetrical head shape due to age and high tension. It's fun to play with, when I want to play an opponent from the baseline.

deco0028
08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
I have 2 mid 93 "Straight Shaft" and 1 one-stripe OS.
How are the ones sold now, the ones that have the marking "TOUR" compared to the 4 stripe?

My one-stripe OS was made during the days when two hand backhands were not that popular thus has a real short handle. If I put both hands on it, my left hand partially touches the shaft. Good thing that I am one hand backhand.

I like the POG mids more than my rebels. I think it is the 14 main strings that I like, as opposed to the 18 mains on the rebel. Also, the POG has a thinner beam than the Rebel.

I also have 2 EXO3 Graphite 100 and 2 EXO3 Graphite 93. I like the colors of the EXO series, the spiderman graphics and the cool colors.

Hi
I just bought a POG 90 4 stripe , and my son just loves it. He has a 2 handed backhand. I am thinking about one of the newer POGs on TW with the 93 sq in head, but wonder if the OS is better for 2 handed BH. How would you say the EXO3 Graphite 100 plays, in terms of feel, control and power compared to the POG 4 stripe?Thanks

jmjmkim
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
If your son loves the small head with the original graphite frame, then you should stick with the original POG frames. The EXO frames have a different feel, due to the string ports. Once you get used to it, it is good. I can feel immediate difference between the POG and the EXO Graphite. I would not want to switch from one to another during a match.

Things change, but as of now, I tend to favor the POG 93 over my EXO Graphites and any oversize frames.

If you think about it, we always strive to hit off of a particular spot in our head (sweet spot) that is probably the size of a 2" diameter. Just because the head size increases, it does not mean that our sweet spot increases proportionally. Also, I find that the bigger head will always give some kind of trampoline effect..... although up to size 100 is about the biggest before it start to lose that solid graphite feel.

If your son plays well with the 90 and he likes the feel, then I would try the 93 Graphite. I believe these are called the "Tour"

sansaephanh
08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Man, this thread makes me really want to test out the old POG's. I love my Rebels, but if the POGs have a whippier feel and better feel on touch shots than maybe i need to switch.

Anyone wanna let me borrow a few? =P

deco0028
08-29-2011, 03:36 PM
If your son loves the small head with the original graphite frame, then you should stick with the original POG frames. The EXO frames have a different feel, due to the string ports. Once you get used to it, it is good. I can feel immediate difference between the POG and the EXO Graphite. I would not want to switch from one to another during a match.

Things change, but as of now, I tend to favor the POG 93 over my EXO Graphites and any oversize frames.

If you think about it, we always strive to hit off of a particular spot in our head (sweet spot) that is probably the size of a 2" diameter. Just because the head size increases, it does not mean that our sweet spot increases proportionally. Also, I find that the bigger head will always give some kind of trampoline effect..... although up to size 100 is about the biggest before it start to lose that solid graphite feel.

If your son plays well with the 90 and he likes the feel, then I would try the 93 Graphite. I believe these are called the "Tour"

Thank you very much. The 14x18 string pattern does not lend itself to durable strings. That is why I considered the Exo3 Graphite 93 or 100. Would the Exo3 Graphite 93 with the string holes(not open ports) be quite similar to the POG 4 stripe or current POG 93? I suppose spin would be less with the Graphite 93 due to the 16 x 18 pattern. He especially loves the feel of 100% graphite, not the hollow feeling you seem to get with many newer racquets. Thanks again.

jmjmkim
08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, definitely the 14mains do not last long. But I use all Poly, and this works great. When I used synthetic gut, it lasted barely two or three good sets.

The EXO's are a little more flex. I definitely like the string hole inserts better than the Ports. But even so, once you play a set with it, you get used to it. I have the EXO 100's with string holes, but the EXO 93's I didn't bother getting them so they are Ports. The strings definitely last longer than the POG 93's.

I really don't know what to say about the EXO 100's. They are really good for me, but I think they are now discontinued. The price are good at $89...... I bought them when they were $189. They are considered a player's racket, so yeah, try them out.

I don't think I would get anything bigger than a 100 now days,.... the EXO 100 plays with a big sweetspot. If I keep framing with that, then I need to work on my swing, not look for a bigger racket.

jmjmkim
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Man, this thread makes me really want to test out the old POG's. I love my Rebels, but if the POGs have a whippier feel and better feel on touch shots than maybe i need to switch.

I would like the Rebel more if it was a 16 main, instead of the 18. I like it, but it is not my favorite racket in my bag. The POG 93 is the one that gets used most often from my bag. In fact, since I use Full Poly, knowing that I won't be breaking my string, I just carry one racket to my games now. I use my library bag, 3 bottles of frozen water, a towel, and a can of balls. Although I have a Prince Tour (Green) bag that holds like 12 rackets, it would look way overkill for recreational play.