PDA

View Full Version : Bhbr.... Pop!

Djlpenguin
07-17-2011, 05:29 PM
... and not in a good way.
I was halfway through the crosses when the string just snapped on me. I was in shock, because I've strung all sorts of strings and they've broke this way. (I've strung Prince EXP Power 18 at 58, this was BHBR 17 at 56)
maybe i got a defect? A weird thing i noticed is that there were 3 black things on the strings (dunno what they're called, they hold the coil), and my other pack only had 2. yeah. Has this ever happened to you? I thought this stuff was strong...

MambaT
07-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Sometimes, especially with twisted strings, it takes two zipties to hold the ends and the middle still buldges because of the twist. It order for it to lay flat in the packaging, a third is necessary. It just makes it package better. I would not concerned about that.

Did it pop at a grommet, or just right in the middle??

Djlpenguin
07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Sometimes, especially with twisted strings, it takes two zipties to hold the ends and the middle still buldges because of the twist. It order for it to lay flat in the packaging, a third is necessary. It just makes it package better. I would not concerned about that.

Did it pop at a grommet, or just right in the middle??

near a grommet, but i just replaced them before i strung, and i checked them. no rips or holes. :confused:

and now i know what those things are called. zipties. but my other pack only had 2?

MambaT
07-17-2011, 05:45 PM
We typically use 2, but sometimes three are necessary. Every once in a while the ends just happen to align and one will do it... but not usually on a twisted string. I really do not suspect that that has anything to do with it.

Poly strings are extruded and there *are* fluke weaknesses. If you are sure that the grommets are clean, I would go with that and see if you can get a replacement set from your seller.

If it happens again right there, there is something up with that hole. You could try a piece of teflon tubing for some extra protection. If you need a piece, email me through the forum and I can send you some.

Djlpenguin
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
We typically use 2, but sometimes three are necessary. Every once in a while the ends just happen to align and one will do it... but not usually on a twisted string. I really do not suspect that that has anything to do with it.

Poly strings are extruded and there *are* fluke weaknesses. If you are sure that the grommets are clean, I would go with that and see if you can get a replacement set from your seller.

If it happens again right there, there is something up with that hole. You could try a piece of teflon tubing for some extra protection. If you need a piece, email me through the forum and I can send you some.

I took my other pack, restrung the crosses, no issues.
Should I go to unique or TW?

MambaT
07-17-2011, 05:58 PM
I would call TW and explain what happened. See if they are willing to replace them or if they ask you to go to Unique. I would think they would take care of it for you.

fortun8son
07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
I've never had a problem with bhbr, but I use a reel.
It does want to snake out across the floor once it is released.
Not much coil memory.
Perhaps you nicked it accidentally while cutting the zipties?

pvaudio
07-18-2011, 04:14 PM
As fortun8 said, it's an obnoxious string, but not bad to string with. I also agree with what he said as the likely cause.

jeroenn
07-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Had it happen twice with BHBR from a reel (1.20). I'm assuming factory defects.

yonexpurestorm
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
thats funny because this just happened to me last week. i was stringing my crosses with bhbr and it just snapped in the stringer. i was doing 57 lbs. i thought it might have been because of a kink or something because i had this half selt sitn around for a while and it was really tangled. but it just snapped in the middle of the string. not on a grommet. i just started stringing about a month or two ago so i figured it was something i did.

topspin18
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Strung BHBR many times and never had it happen to me.
I use 16 and 17 guage.

kiteboard
07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Never had it happen, but others say it is so, so it may be defects.

fortun8son
07-28-2011, 01:20 AM
The stuff is easy to kink.
One would think that a manufacturing defect would be fairly easy to spot as you measure it out.

Virginiuh
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
What is BHBR?

Radicalized
07-29-2011, 07:52 PM
What is BHBR?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Tourna_Poly_Big_Hitter_Blue_Rough_String_16/descpageACUNIQUE-UBHBR16.html

jim e
07-29-2011, 07:57 PM
because I've strung all sorts of strings and they've broke this way.

If you have had all sorts of strings break this way, then how could this be a defect? If as you say, all sorts of string break this way, then its stringer error.

Radicalized
07-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Not that this is the issue, but I never cut zip ties/cable ties. I simply "unlock" them with a sharp, pointy object. To be precise, I normally use the pointed end of an old compass, which is similar to a small brad. Extremely rarely do I run into one, in general, that is very soft plastic, where it is difficult to push down on the indentation to release.

spacediver
07-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I was in shock, because I've strung all sorts of strings and they've broke this way. (I've strung Prince EXP Power 18 at 58, this was BHBR 17 at 56)

I'm not following - if you've strung all sorts of string and they all break in the same manner, surely the issue is with:

1) you
2) your stringing machine
3) your racquet.

Unless you meant to say that none of them have ever broken this way?

Virginiuh
07-31-2011, 06:51 PM
I've heard so much about that string on the forum, is it really that good?

pyrokid
08-01-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm pretty sure he just forgot the 'never' in his original post. I think it should have read something like "I've strung all sorts of strings and they've NEVER broken on me like this."

Because I know from his previous posts that he knows what he's doing and hasn't had troubles before.