PDA

View Full Version : Need help - yonex rdx500 mid replacement?

Laver777
07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
First post hoping to get help on the rdx500mid.

I used to use the rdx500mid a few years ago and when they discontinued it i went on to the rds001plus but i didnt like the large frame. So i then went on to the wilson k factor tour 90 for a couple of years. I love this racquet on groundstrokes but found i lost alot of juice on my first serve and struggled on serve towards the end of second sets. A few days ago out of curiousity i pulled out my old yonex rdx500 mid. my god i love this racquet. It felt like my old serve was back serving about 180-190km first serves and it was just as good on groundstrokes. Im an all court player with a big forehand and one handed backhand. Can anyone recommend a racquet simlliar to this? It seems that head sizes are just getting bigger and i would like something 90sq inches if possible.

As to my standard im from australia so dont have a usta ranking but judging from the usta guidelines id say im about 5.0 to 5.5. I played club tennis here at an A1 level through juniors and now seniors which is the highest localy and used to play in tournemants for national ranking points and money, but only play once a week casually atm. Been playing for 9 years.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Dave M
07-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Have you tried the current mid from yonex?
THough i found it played a lot stiffer and string pattern is differnet, i've got a couple of 500 mids in rds 001 yellow paint and they are quite differnet to the stock 001 i used to have. What grip size do you use?

vincent_tennis
07-18-2011, 12:46 AM
These ones:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_RDiS_100_Mid/descpageRCYONEX-IS100.html

grab'em quick before they vanish :/

galain
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not currently in Oz, but I have an RDX500 and I thought PK's current Black Ace was a good second option.

galain
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Or even better if you can find it - the PK Laver Type C. This is only hearsay though - I've never had the pleasure of hitting with it, but it's supposedly a little softer than the BA.

JGads
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Pro Kennex Black Ace Mid. Thank me later.

Laver777
07-19-2011, 04:48 AM
These ones:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_RDiS_100_Mid/descpageRCYONEX-IS100.html

grab'em quick before they vanish :/

yeh i was going to look into them. have you compared the two yourself?

JGads
07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Never played with the rdx mid, but isn't it supposed to be somewhat soft/flexy with good whippiness? The RDS Mid is quite stiff, from what I remember, and felt a touch more sluggish to me than the Prestige Mid.